Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help pin pointing what component has failed.

• 09-09-2010 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Iv had problems for the last year with my custom desktop.
    Usually the problems would be that the power would turn on the the computer would not POST.
    I had to constantly poweron/off/on/off until it eventually posted.

Monday night same thing was happening it eventually posted and Vista started up, 2 seconds later i got the blue screen of death.
    Plugged everything out of the mobo and plugged everything back in again and now the computer is completely dead. Lights wont even come on when i press the power button.

My problem is i have no spare part to find out which of the components has failed. I have an inkling that it is the mobo but i dont want to have to fork out for a new one to find out it is the power supply.

Can anyone recommend a cheap place in Cork i could take it to get it tested. Had to get virus removal in the cork computer clinic about 6yrs ago (when i didnt know a thing about computers) and they charged €80 and the computer was with them for 2 weeks. Id never go back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Does the power supply spin up when you push the on button?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Does the power supply spin up when you push the on button?

No the fan doesnt spin on the PS at all. The kill switch on the power supply does light up though when its plugged in.

Is there any way to confim it would be the PS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Is there a LED on the motherboard that lights up when connected to power? If it is on then I would say the power supply is OK, if off then the problem could still be either the PSU or motherboard. It's not a very accurate way to test TBH. Do you know someone with a multi-meter that can test the PSU, or better still do you have another PC you can test the PSU in?

It's hard to know where exactly the problem lies without another working PC to test out components in. Could you borrow a PC off someone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Make sure the CMOS battery has juice.

OK the plugged everything out and back in again. Looks like i didnt plug the Front panel cables in properly, this would explain why the PC was dead when i pressed the on Switch.

Im back to the stage now where everything powers up but the screen stays blank and no post.
    qwertz wrote: »
    Make sure the CMOS battery has juice.
    I removed the CMOS battery, blew on it and rubbed it to clean it, placed it back in and the computer posted but stalled about 2 seconds after the post beep.
    It stalled just at the stage where you can press the F buttons to access the Bios settings.
    Would this be a sign on a dead/dying CMOS battery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 agriffin

Reset your bios, should be a jumper on the motherboard or leave the battery out for a minute or two with power lead plugged out.

then if it boots go into the bios and "load fail safe defaults" in bios.

the motherboard i have done the same thing and needed a bios update from the maker. it was a known problem with the board.

have a search for your boards model number and see are their any with this problem.

try starting up with the bare minimum connected to the board - 1 mem stick,1 harddrive etc to try and rule out the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Check the power supply voltages :-

+3.3 Volts DC
    +5 Volts DC
    -5 Volts DC
    +5 Volts DC Standby
    +12 Volts DC
    -12 Volts DC

OK all these suggestions have gone beyond my abilities. I dont have a volt meter or anything of the sort and dont know anyone who would let me test their computer against mine.

Does anyone know how much someone in Cork would cost to look at the situation. I can buy and replace parts myself. Iv installed everything bar a new motherboard (which is probably the most complicated to install)

Advertisement