Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigs and Dogs

Options
  • 09-09-2010 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am thinking of rearing a couple of pigs but I am worried that my dogs (terrier and red setter) will attack them. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Hi

We have raised a few pigs on & off over past few years & also have 2 dogs - a JRT & a lab. Our dogs, lab particularly, would not have much fear of anything BUT were very wary of the pigs :) I presume you will be starting your pigs off as weaners, around 8 weeks old or so, so they will be quite small at first but will grow very quickly & in my experience pigs (of any age or size) have no fear of anything & are very inquisitive & "in your face" which most dogs find quite unsettling.

I would suggest that you don't make a big deal of the pigs with the dogs but just let them tag along when you go to see the pigs, feed them etc. The dogs will soon get used to them & not find them very interesting. Also, if your fencing is strong & secure enough to keep pigs in, it should also serve to keep dogs out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Shouldn't be a problem, dogs and pigs have coexisted on farms for millenia. A bit of livestock training might be needed to keep the dogs right but there shouldn't be an insurmountable problem.

Advertisement