Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninty 3DS hype? Where is it boards...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DS launch line up was absolute scutter. Also DS software was absolute scutter for about 9 months until Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow arrived.
    I said that the psp2 should have 2 analogue sticks and be more like a controller. Think it was retrogamer who disagreed sayin people dont by handhelds to be like their home machine.

They tried it with the PSP and it didn't work. It just felt like there was no point playing a game where you can play a much better version on a bigger screen. There's other considerations to take into account with portable gaming such as the pacing and save points. Look at MGS Peace Walker and why it works as a portable game. It doesn't have long missions that take ages to complete, it's made of smaller chunks that can be completed quite quickly and lots of them. Games have to be made with portability in mind or they don't really work. If you are going to make a portable game and make it work you've got to take into account the systems portability and what people want from the system. The only traditional type of game you'd see on the 360 or PS3 that really transports well to a portable are racing games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Guys i am going to say here is that i have had a DS and a PSP but i find my self going back to the ds more then the PSP due to haveing no pick up and play games on the psp

Ok the DS might have 20 mario games but they are great fun to play a lot more fun then playing god of war on the PSP because you can pick up and play the DS games a lot more easier

I have a PSP Go which was been soft/mod and i be a good day to get 2 hours out of it before it turns of and thats just playing a GBA game

Also the

3DS Launch Titles confirmed so far
    • Pilotwings Resort
    • Nintendogs + Cats
    • Steeldiver
    • Dead or Alive
    • Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
    • Madden NFL
    • Super Street Fighter IV 3D
    • Asphalt 3D
    • Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
    • Ridge Racer 3D
    • Resident Evil: The Mercenaries
    • LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
    The games are great for a console out on day one when the Xbox 360 came out all the games bar maybe 4 where ports from the xbox. None of the games bar the remakes are ports. and if that are the games comeing out with it there are 5 games that i will wont to get day one

I am hopeing that my local gamestop well be opening at 12.00 at night so i can pick up my 3DS after work

But guys the psp was 260 euros when it came out 6 years ago which is a lot of money in todays money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Read on Gamesradar that the shops are getting the 3DS from nintendo for £173 so thats about £60 less than what they are selling them in their shops for.Wonder when they release the inevitable redesign will they sell the launch 3DS for a respectable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

all i know is i aint buying one for the price they are at right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Mr E wrote: »
    DS touchscreen - wow, something new and fresh.
    Wii controls - wow, something new and fresh.
    3DS 3D - wow, er..... gimmick?

In fairness the word 'gimmick' was thrown around a lot when both the DS and Wii were coming out as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pilotwings is the only game I'd be interested in and even at that, it's a rehash of a decade on N64 game. Resident Evil could be decent but the rest? Pass. It's madness for Nintendo to release a new console without a Mario or Zelda game but that, along with the price amd the insane decision to region lock a handheld, shows how much their believing their own hype at this stage.

I read a good piece on Kotaku today that basically claims the 3DS is a rush job, reacting to falling Wii and DS sales. The lack of a real flagship Nintendo title and the fact that there'll be no web browsing, DSIware transfers or 3D film functionality means that you're basically going to be paying €280 for a console in Beta.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah but the DS was also a total rush job that didn't turn out too badly either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

GTR63 wrote: »
    I think people are pist off that they dangled the likes of Ocarina of Time,Mario Kart,Metal Gear Solid & others in front of us & we end up getting games that despite 3D are mostly availible on PS3 or X360.

Those are all remakes as well though.

I'll hold out for something original, and a price drop, before I touch a 3DS. I feel a lot better about being too broke to afford one now anyway :P

Kid Icarus though, could be very good, but I'm yet to be convinced by 3D in any format, and don't see why it would improve games in any meaningful way, when nothing appears to be in the pipeline that is built with 3D in mind, as opposed to it being tacked on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

The DS had way better games than PSP.. IMO the PSP sucked compared to it, the DS was so much fun with titles like MPH, Mario Kart, Zelda, Phoenix Wright.. The list goes on ..

PSP had no interesting titles for me, especially when I love FPS games.. Kill zone played awful on the psp as did other games... The DS was unique and psp was pretty basic.. I don't think Sony can win the handheld war but they should be fit to win the console war..

As for what someone said previously as designing it as a controller, I think that would be awesome.. I want to play games on a handheld with a screen and have the same controls as ps3 but this is not possible with the psp yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They tried it with the PSP and it didn't work. It just felt like there was no point playing a game where you can play a much better version on a bigger screen. There's other considerations to take into account with portable gaming such as the pacing and save points. Look at MGS Peace Walker and why it works as a portable game. It doesn't have long missions that take ages to complete, it's made of smaller chunks that can be completed quite quickly and lots of them. Games have to be made with portability in mind or they don't really work. If you are going to make a portable game and make it work you've got to take into account the systems portability and what people want from the system. The only traditional type of game you'd see on the 360 or PS3 that really transports well to a portable are racing games.

MGS Peace Walker, ironically, is a poster child game for why the idea that two sticks somehow relates to playing games that are poorer versions of home console games is deeply flawed. I bought it at launch as a long-time fan of the series and was very much piqued by the (non-interactive) intro, beautiful engine and the general verve of the game but I ran around almost immediately once I was asked to combat actual enemies without a stick to place the camera. On a side note, MGS Peace Walker made using the old MGS fixed camera system would have been a better option in the circumstances.

I'll have to try Peace Walker again because I rarely hear a bad word about it, but the impediment of a missing second stick has shadowed the PSP quite correctly for its entire life - I'm still in no way comfortable in 3D games using either the shoulder buttons or face buttons to place a camera.

The issue of a second stick may by extension mean more FPS games and other similarly console centric genres, but it's about adapting and inventing interesting ways to make a genre or a type of game work - Peace Walker again being an example of how tailoring a console franchise into a handheld game can work. Likewise, that doesn't mean dozens of otherwise well-designed 3D PSP games wouldn't have been signifcantly more enjoyable for just about everyone had there been a second stick for camera operation. I don't see there being any real case for a lack of a second stick besides a failure to fully grasp what types of games would be made for a high-end PS2-esque handheld.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

I read a good piece on Kotaku today that basically claims the 3DS is a rush job, reacting to falling Wii and DS sales. The lack of a real flagship Nintendo title and the fact that there'll be no web browsing, DSIware transfers or 3D film functionality means that you're basically going to be paying €280 for a console in Beta.

I disagree.
    The 3ds was in development for more than 4 years. The original "3DS" phrase was used to describe the 3D effects like anti-aliasing and some other magic graphic tweaks, they then experimented with a S3D screen.
    The fiscal failings last year on Nintendo were due to manufacturing delays in the 3DS as their original forcastings were incorporating the 3DS' launch in Q3 2010.

Leaves a sour taste in your mouth when they don't man-up and say the RRP though, that annoys the hell out of me.
    365 USD here. Massive difference between us and the US, but the least they could do is admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

3DS Launch Titles confirmed so far
    • Pilotwings Resort
    • Nintendogs + Cats (three versions in total)
    • Steeldiver
    • Dead or Alive
    • Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
    • Madden NFL
    • Super Street Fighter IV 3D
    • Asphalt 3D
    • Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
    • Ridge Racer 3D
    • Resident Evil: The Mercenaries
    • LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
    • Ghost Recon
    • Splinter Cell

Now IMO that's a far better lineup than the original DS launch. There's 3/4 good DS games there, there's a potential of very good games on the 3DS launch.

Just so you lot know, the launch titles that were confirmed by GAME stores are the games left above, iirc (I didn't memorise the list, but I think I've got it right - Madden, Pro Ev and Resi definitely weren't on it).

I had planned on getting a 3DS. The price tag of €269.99 is far too steep for my liking and the fact that there isn't a decent flagship launch title means I'm going to be giving this one a miss for the meantime. I'll reserve my judgement until I get to see the console in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Steel Diver is an upcoming video game for the Nintendo 3DS. The game appears to be a sidescrolling, light-hearted action game

Sounds like if you made the submarine yellow and red it might even be In The Hunt 3D. Lets hope it comes close to being as much fun.

Street fighter 4 sounds like it uses a lot of the internet features, seems good.
    Can't believe they're trying to sell steel diver as a standalone game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

But guys the psp was 260 euros when it came out 6 years ago which is a lot of money in todays money

Please don't use that argument. It just doesn't hold up.

Vyse wrote: »
    Please don't use that argument. It just doesn't hold up.

Why dont mind me asking ?

it like the battery on the 3ds only lasts 3.5 hours which i think is great

My laptop is a full 1080p hd i7 8gb of ram 1gr card and 5.1 speakers and if i play crysis on it at best it will last for 20 mins will full battery

and also i have a psp go and at best 2 hour battery on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

it like the battery on the 3ds only lasts 3.5 hours which i think is great

then you sir, need a word with yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Why dont mind me asking ?

Because the prices of consoles, with a few noticable exceptions, have remained quite stable for the last 30 years. It's actually one of the best hobbies to have because, in relative terms, it's becoming cheaper. For example, the Atari 2600 launched in the US in Oct 1977 $199. The Nintendo Gamecube launched in 2001 for the exact same price. By your reckoning we should have been paying a hell of a lot more for the system (with inflation you'd be heading towards the $600 mark).

Like I said there have been a few notable exceptions, the PS3 for example, and we know what a disaster that proved to be for Sony.

I hate my PSP because I only get 3 hours at the very most out of it. My DS however gets taken with me all the time. 3 hours just isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I hate my PSP because I only get 3 hours at the very most out of it. My DS however gets taken with me all the time. 3 hours just isn't enough.

Very true, my PSP never leaves the house and is played mostly plugged into the wall whereas the DS can last all day on a charge so it gets brought everywhere with me

• Advertisement

Vyse wrote: »
    Because the prices of consoles, with a few noticable exceptions, have remained quite stable for the last 30 years. It's actually one of the best hobbies to have because, in relative terms, it's becoming cheaper. For example, the Atari 2600 launched in the US in Oct 1977 $199. The Nintendo Gamecube launched in 2001 for the exact same price. By your reckoning we should have been paying a hell of a lot more for the system (with inflation you'd be heading towards the $600 mark).

Like I said there have been a few notable exceptions, the PS3 for example, and we know what a disaster that proved to be for Sony.

Yes i do when the psp came out it was 260 euros 6 years ago with inflation at about 4.5 % per year your looking at about 300 euro for your psp in todays money

Also people dont give out that there iphone cost them 600 to 700 euro sim free and how hard was it to get a iphone 4 the day it came out my local o2 shop sold out in 10 mins. Also I was lining up from 4am to make sure i will get one and there was all ready people in front of me

If you play games on your iphone anything by ea games or gameloft you be looking at a 2 hour at must on that to

I will go back to when i got my iphone 3G i will be a good day if i got to use the net longer then 50 mins with 3g on

All i know i will be first in line at my local gamestop to get my 3DS

Also here on boards the PS move is great here but to me its the biggest watse of 120 euros in my life it was only used the weakend it came out for the PS3

But the kinect every said on boards that it was going to be a waste of money but i think its the best thing on the xbox now so much more fun then the PS move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

All i know i will be first in line at my local gamestop to get my 3DS

do the gaming world a favour and buy it somewhere else

anywhere else

anyone know how you could go about pre-ordering a us 3ds? will amazon.com ship to ireland?

Also people dont give out that there iphone cost them 600 to 700 euro sim free and how hard was it to get a iphone 4 the day it came out my local o2 shop sold out in 10 mins. Also I was lining up from 4am to make sure i will get one and there was all ready people in front of me

I didn't give out but that's because I didn't want one. As with all apple systems it was a stupid amount of money to pay for outdated technology.

anyone know how you could go about pre-ordering a us 3ds? will amazon.com ship to ireland?

drop-shipping, or get a friend in the us who you trust to pre-order for you and send.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    drop-shipping, or get a friend in the us who you trust to pre-order for you and send.

drop shipping? dont know anyone heading to america or living there so thats out

drop shipping? dont know anyone heading to america or living there so thats out
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=drop+shipping&l=1
    You give the address of a company, and pay the company to receive and send the console to you. It's very expensive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

8 hours with 3D off. The 3D aspect is only a gimmick IMO. Everyone will finally calm down after a few weeks minutes and use it without 3D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

8 hours with 3D off. The 3D aspect is only a gimmick IMO. Everyone will finally calm down after a few weeks minutes and use it without 3D

somehow i was thinking same thing.

First thing that actually cought my eye on 3ds was graphic RE5 alike. ( not saying re5 is good game thought). Only after i was like: oh it does 3d shiz too... okay...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I thought I was in the minority not really being interested in 3D.(I don't think I can see the effect). Reading opinions a lot seem to enjoy playing it more with the 3D turned off.The Augmented Reality cards interest me thinking how would a game like Pokemon could use it.Its too naive to say use the cards as a way to battle,it'd be class but not possible.Maybe use them for catching Pokemon.

Advertisement