Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninty 3DS hype? Where is it boards...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well i was in gamestop today. canceled preorder for 3ds. i just dot think i will be able to afford it. afford, i mean keep it going and having new games bought. allready got xbox,pc, ps3 and buying handheld games is just too much for my budget, specilly when price of them is same as normal games.

i have nothing against 3ds, but the price and games prices as handheld is just too much for me.

its 279eu for it, no games with it, just that dog and cat thing, but i doubt someone here calls it a game.

i am buying new xbox for 250eu... just to replace my ancient 20gb and i need wireless.

3ds is cool, 3d effect is amazing aswell, but 280eu+ 1 game ( and i still dont see a signle game on release date that is interesting for me) = 320eu++!!

its a handheld... even if its brand new technology that prints money and makes all woman pregnant in 100m radius it does not have excuse to cost that much...

i will get it... whenit will drop in price, but not now.

plus knowing that new psp will be allmoust as powerfull as ps3 does not help this purchase...

now its not 3ds vs psp flame post, its just i wonder how people feel about this price tag, which can buy you ps3 or xbox with games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I have fully paid for my 3DS and 3 games and all it cost me was 167.50 so this is maybe the cheapist handheld i have ever got

Thank you gamestop with your great trade in deals

Traded in 8 copys of metraid outer m for 224 euros
    Traded in 2 copys of metraid outer m for 70 euros
    Traded in 1 copy of dead space 2 for 50 euros

I made 344 euros off 147.50 then add my 20 euros to pre book so i got 364 euros which will get me a 3ds and 2 games with a bit of a 3rd game

But if your looking to save more of it wait for gamestop to have one of there deals when you get a just out game on a friday and trade it by monday for 50 euros and with the 25 extra trade ins on the 3DS you get 62.50 euro

You make 12.50 for keeping the game for a few hours

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So got my grubby mitts on a 3DS today. Not for keeps (alas!) but in HMV on Henry Street.

First things: it works, and very well at that. Why would I have doubted Nintendo, actually? No 'real' games, alas, just the camera and 'ARG' (alternate reality blah de blah) card game. But the 3D is great, straight up depth as opposed to **** coming at you. The sweet spot? Yeah you need to find it. If you move the console, your head or body needs to move with it. And the focus is always a little off. But it most certainly gives a very pretty 3D picture when you're aligned correctly, ain't no doubt about that. The card game had you shooting virtual targets using the camera feed, and it's basic but effective. Walk around to the other side of the table, and the image moves too. If a target is facing away from you, walk to a position where it will face you! Pretty impressive.

The frame rate was wonky, but given the rendering oomph obviously going on perhaps inevitable. A minor concern, though the effectiveness of the image won out over any FPS concerns.

So: I really am impressed by the 3DS. As many previews have said, you have to see it in the flesh to get the full effect. No games, alas, and no time to test out the analogue stick and stuff. But on a purely functional basis, it works, which is a welcome start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So got my grubby mitts on a 3DS today. Not for keeps (alas!) but in HMV on Henry Street.

First things: it works, and very well at that. Why would I have doubted Nintendo, actually? No 'real' games, alas, just the camera and 'ARG' (alternate reality blah de blah) card game. But the 3D is great, straight up depth as opposed to **** coming at you. The sweet spot? Yeah you need to find it. If you move the console, your head or body needs to move with it. And the focus is always a little off. But it most certainly gives a very pretty 3D picture when you're aligned correctly, ain't no doubt about that. The card game had you shooting virtual targets using the camera feed, and it's basic but effective. Walk around to the other side of the table, and the image moves too. If a target is facing away from you, walk to a position where it will face you! Pretty impressive.

The frame rate was wonky, but given the rendering oomph obviously going on perhaps inevitable. A minor concern, though the effectiveness of the image won out over any FPS concerns.

So: I really am impressed by the 3DS. As many previews have said, you have to see it in the flesh to get the full effect. No games, alas, and no time to test out the analogue stick and stuff. But on a purely functional basis, it works, which is a welcome start.

Really? They have a display model in HMV??? When did this happen? Where in the shop is it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really? They have a display model in HMV??? When did this happen? Where in the shop is it?

Just as you go downstairs, one of the sales assistants had it in their hand and was letting people have a go (in exchange for a pre-order spiel if you couldn't escape fast enough!).

• Advertisement

lol i thought the display was in the Ilac on the 20th march! So if HMV have one that means gamespot and game etc will have display models soon too. Cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

its 279eu for it, no games with it, just that dog and cat thing, but i doubt someone here calls it a game.

jebus on a motorcycle, they're charging 280 for it?
    Glad I never even visit their stores since getting a credit card.
    Online is so much cheaper.
    Traded in 8 copys of metraid outer m for 224 euros
    Traded in 2 copys of metraid outer m for 70 euros

lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cancelling my pre-order on Monday. Pilotwings is the only game I'd be interested in playing and it's not worth paying €279 for that alone. I'll probably go back when Ocarina of Time is released but that'll probably be Christmas.

I got pilotwings for 33 euro, and my 3DS for 231
    264 euro for a 3ds+game.
    I used coupons, but they only saved me about 8 euro in total.

Cancelling my pre-order on Monday. Pilotwings is the only game I'd be interested in playing and it's not worth paying €279 for that alone. I'll probably go back when Ocarina of Time is released but that'll probably be Christmas.

those were my thoughts.... 280 and no games even to play when it will come out...

i am getting xbox 250gb with 1 game instead tommorow, just to replace my 20 one.... it looks way better deal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

GAME in the Uk have dropped the price to £197.Wonder if we'll get a price drop over here,i'm not holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

those were my thoughts.... 280 and no games even to play when it will come out...

i am getting xbox 250gb with 1 game instead tommorow, just to replace my 20 one.... it looks way better deal

You must have big pockets. Good luck playing it on the bus. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Agree with shadowhearth , very interested in the device itself but the price for it and the games is off the wall. The games should be no where near the price of a PS3 game or PC game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Sisko wrote: »
    The games should be no where near the price of a PS3 game or PC game.

Why not?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Im gonna give this a year, price will drop and a newer smaller, thinner model will probably be out lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Am I the only one who thinks Steel Diver looks incredibly boring and poorly executed? Lots of the Press outlets are claiming to be very excited about it, am I missing something? It strikes me as one of those launch titles everyone will be deriding in a few years time.

Am I the only one who thinks Steel Diver looks incredibly boring and poorly executed? Lots of the Press outlets are claiming to be very excited about it, am I missing something? It strikes me as one of those launch titles everyone will be deriding in a few years time.

YES!!! From what I have seen over the past few weeks it looks very slow an boring, I just dont get it at all. But loads of people all over the net are excited about it, I have no idea why. To me it just looks like 'you sunk my battle ship' sort of stuff, but I guess we cant say untill we get a go of it ourselves, but it looks pants.

I agree, looks like it's impossible to control too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Was in HMV there today and there going to be doing

The 3DS with Rayman for 272 euro
    And with SSF 4 285 euro

So that's what we are going to be looking to pay with a game

But I got the cheapest 3DS out of the lot of yous 167.50 with 3 games deal or what and I have proof if your looking for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ScoreX

Not sure whether I wanna buy one or not, I'm a bit unconvinced, will definitely wait a week to two before ordering.

• Advertisement

dooferoaks wrote: »
    You must have big pockets. Good luck playing it on the bus. :pac::pac::pac:

I drive 400 hp car around, not sitting in the bus. It would be distraction....

As i said, its amazing device, but price tag is idiotic for a handheld.

As for xbox, i got it last sunday, coulnd not have been happier. And i am pure pc gamer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ScoreX

It's that pricy considiring the technology and usability involved.

But I got the cheapest 3DS out of the lot of yous 167.50 with 3 games deal or what and I have proof if your looking for it

Yeah but we're not all magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Why not?

WTF, I have to explain this? They're handheld games , you don't pay the price of a cinema ticket to watch a DVD.

Whats next, 60 euro iphone games?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Sisko wrote: »
    WTF, I have to explain this? They're handheld games , you don't pay the price of a cinema ticket to watch a DVD.
    You pay more than a cinema ticket to own the DVD :confused: But thats a terrible analogy anyway.

I've regularly gotten more time from a portable game than a console game and the idea that they're simpler to make doesn't fly either. The big portable games have huge teams and long development times just like console games.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    You pay more than a cinema ticket to own the DVD :confused: But thats a terrible analogy anyway.

I've regularly gotten more time from a portable game than a console game and the idea that they're simpler to make doesn't fly either. The big portable games have huge teams and long development times just like console games.
    So far what i sow on ds was utter graPhical horror. So they dont put so much staff on graphic department. Iphone games are not that far away from ds games. Alot of them are ports and look indentical, but ob iphone fame costs 1 eu on ds 50 eu...

I am not saying graphics are important, for god sake i play minecraft like crazy, but i am just saying that ds games are not as big as console amd pc games amd they cost same...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Any bundles/offers in Gamestop anyone know?

Nop m8. The one preorder i canceled was: 3ds with cats+dogs 280 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nintendo are going to go bananas, but the R4i team have got a flash cart running regular DS games on the 3DS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

The Acekard team have reported that they have there's working to. There just checking for bugs before they make a public release.

Advertisement