Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninty 3DS hype? Where is it boards...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

If they do send updates without the owner of the 3ds knowing about it Nintendo will have a lot of law suits on their hands world wide.

Is this not what they've been talking about for months as a part of the SpotPass feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep I believe that it's part of their T&Cs that you permit on-the-fly firmware updates. A lawsuit against Nintendo won't stand up in court if someone clicks "Yes I will allow this" when then boot their console for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

Mr E wrote: »
    Interesting development on the anti-piracy front...

Apparently the 3DS can log whenever a flash card has been used on it. With that information, they could potentially push a console-bricking firmware update....

Bloody hell...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-07-nintendo-3ds-logs-flash-cart-use

No.
    This rumour is false.
    They can't brick a console and de-value it for a user using it how the user wants to.
    I think they might have plans to limit pirate's use, but no way can they justify destroying their product because a flashcart was used in it.
    ghostchant wrote: »
    Is this not what they've been talking about for months as a part of the SpotPass feature?
    This is also a rumour.
    It's false.
    The first update was not automatic, nor was it done with spotpass.
    The 3DS sends you a mail just like the wii does, you go to options and update yourself. There you accept a eula type agreement and it downloads.

What Iwata was talking about with regard SpotPass was for games only.
    The developer can give you new content via spotpass without you looking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Id say it would be illegal if nintendo bricked your console from use of a flash card.
    Microsoft used to disable something to do with the hard drive when you got banned but since changed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Piracy really was too widespread on DS...yay for them tracking it at least now :D

Saw someone tweet "Really want pokemon black...but cant remember how to download games to r4 so gotta wait til my dad comes home :(" and on release date and everything....

Told them Pokemon Black/White didn't work on R4s (Well unpatched the japanese one didnt i dont think :pac: ) so think they ended up buying it :)

Pretty excited for 3DS tbh! Think I'll just get Pilotwings with it...then pick up either nintendogs or street fighter online later :)

• Advertisement

Piracy really was too widespread on DS...yay for them tracking it at least now :D

Saw someone tweet "Really want pokemon black...but cant remember how to download games to r4 so gotta wait til my dad comes home :(" and on release date and everything....

Told them Pokemon Black/White didn't work on R4s (Well unpatched the japanese one didnt i dont think :pac: ) so think they ended up buying it :)

Pretty excited for 3DS tbh! Think I'll just get Pilotwings with it...then pick up either nintendogs or street fighter online later :)

Pity pokemon is the same game re-released every 2 years for the past 15 years.

Find me a deeper handheld number-crunching rpg that lets me fight as either an electric zebra or a camel with a volcano on its back and I'll gladly put pokemon away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Did Nintendo lose much money due to the r4 card do yeas think? I know a handful of people who bought DS's simply because of the R4 card people who then bought DS's for the family members and girl friends. None of these people would have been arsed with one otherwise as they don't play it much.

I'm pretty sure it was when this R4 stuff got popular that I started seeing loads of people buying DS's, I was one of the few that didnt. (liked the device but beyond 'brain training' there was no game that appealed to me)

I imagine that it was third party developers/producers that were hit the most, and its in nintendo's (and gamers) interest not to have a situation where they're the only ones left who are willing to make games for the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

the HArdware manufactures make most of their profits from software sales and licensing, Piracy costs them millions every year. R4 carts were so widespead and made it so easy to pirate games I'm sure they would go to great lengths to cut it out.

• Advertisement

Sisko wrote: »
    Did Nintendo lose much money due to the r4 card do yeas think?

I doubt it.
    They make money on the hardware, plus most pirates do buy good games, which usually only includes Nintendo games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

is anyone buying this in GAME? and I can sell you 100euro on GAME trade in card?..

I'm not so sure that's the case though. The DS piracy was as bad as it is due to people doing it who wouldn't normally have done it. Parents buying R4 cards for their kids with loads of games preloaded and the like. (They're no more guilty than the 'usual suspects' though! :) ) So my guess is that whatever 'typical' pirates tend to do isn't really applicable to the DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I think I might cave in an order myself a 3DS. The launch line up doesn't look great but there are some good deals on 3DS pre-orders at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Hey guys, this has probably been asked already but is the 3ds going to be region locked? im going to be in canada next month and thinking of picking one up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Anyone know what Games best bundle deal is, have it preordered in game and am looking to get Street Fighter IV and Pro Evo for it.

madrab wrote: »
    Hey guys, this has probably been asked already but is the 3ds going to be region locked? im going to be in canada next month and thinking of picking one up

It will be region locked.

Link

madrab wrote: »

yep it will but heres a link to a canadian online store that deliver to Ireland and have reasonable prices on games so you could order from them.

I was hoping that Amazon might be sending out the 3DS in time for them to arrive on the 25th but I don't think that is going to happen. My estimated shipping date is still the 24th.

In my experience, amazon deliveries come in a single day.

• Advertisement

A mate of mine is getting his on Friday, I'm very excited for him:D

No way am I getting this.. Rang GAME there its 260euro without a game and 295euro with a game and all games are priced at 50euro?.. Are you actually serious?.. There online site has it priced at 220euro when you convert.. Why would I pay an extra 40euro on top of that?.. Not going to happen!!

No way am I getting this.. Rang GAME there its 260euro without a game and 295euro with a game and all games are priced at 50euro?.. Are you actually serious?.. There online site has it priced at 220euro when you convert.. Why would I pay an extra 40euro on top of that?.. Not going to happen!!

You could get it for €213 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

GAME are fast becoming the most expensive place to buy games in Ireland - even worse than Gamestop.

I'm getting mine in HMV, trading in my DSi will let me get one for €161.99 with a free €20 HMV voucher and I've a few other games to get rid off that will probably bring me another €80. Gonna get Pilot Wings and.....I'm struggling to pick anything else. Heard good stuff about the Ghost Recon strategy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

are they dongmidnight release of it? as i really whana jump there and get crysis 2, while children raping parents wallets :D

Im going to go in tomorrow maybe and cancel my order.. And if they ask me why.. I will just go are you actually serious? It is way over priced here I can get it for 50euro less on other sites...

I don't have cash though thats the only thing .. I just have 100euro on GAME trade in card and loadsa games..

Im going to go in tomorrow maybe and cancel my order.. And if they ask me why.. I will just go are you actually serious? It is way over priced here I can get it for 50euro less on other sites...

I don't have cash though thats the only thing .. I just have 100euro on GAME trade in card and loadsa games..

I canceled my one ages ago now. And I coups not be happier, every time I see release gale library I get even more happier that I wount spend money on it...

Seen ridge racer promo video which made me lought. Seriuosly old 80s adverts where you get awesOme unrelated video with non game graphics, amd then just a glimpse of in game footage...

I don't even care about sf 4, why would I care about washed down version of it so?

I canceled my one ages ago now. And I coups not be happier, every time I see release gale library I get even more happier that I wount spend money on it...

Seen ridge racer promo video which made me lought. Seriuosly old 80s adverts where you get awesOme unrelated video with non game graphics, amd then just a glimpse of in game footage...

I don't even care about sf 4, why would I care about washed down version of it so?

I think you got a few spelling errors there :p.. I can't really make sense of it all... As for SF4 yeah I don't think I was ever going to get it... I hate the series as it is too hard..

I think you got a few spelling errors there :p.. I can't really make sense of it all... As for SF4 yeah I don't think I was ever going to get it... I hate the series as it is too hard..

My usual keyboard died on me so I took out of shed old dell one... So here you go...

I don't know about series, but if you not in to fighting games then release choice is just pafetic... New console and no zelda or Marion game... And nintendo had been milking them for longer then I remember myself!!!

I canceled my preorder when I actuolly looked in to game list... There is not a single game I want to play, and I bet there are loads of people like me.

• Advertisement

My 3DS order on Amazon was dispatched a half hour ago. They estimate it will arrive on the 28th :-(

Advertisement