Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninty 3DS hype? Where is it boards...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

play.com are now looking for 307.99euro wow just wow.. This is what happens when Nintendo screw up and don't set a RRP..

Also why didnt we get a list of launch titles like japan got last month?
    no one will buy them for that price its crazy :eek: im just trying to figure out how i can pre order an american one :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

http://bone-idle.ie/page209.aspx

This is a list of Ubisofts line up for the next 6 months including splintercell, ghostrecon and driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

no one will buy them for that price its crazy :eek: im just trying to figure out how i can pre order an american one :confused:

Remember the 3DS is region locked - that means you'll have to buy american games, and you will only be able to download from the american store (and that's if you can access if from here).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I am defo going to get an R4 card for the 3DS if one gets released... The console itself is expensive and now so are the games..

You have to expect that the 3DS is going to like Fort Knox. Nintendo have surely learnt from their mistakes on the DS.
    For one, aren't they supposed to force automatic firmware updates? They can make life very difficult for flash carts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I guess we will just have to wait and see.. if it is a case that I just lose online gaming I will take the risk..

Mr E wrote: »
    Remember the 3DS is region locked - that means you'll have to buy american games, and you will only be able to download from the american store (and that's if you can access if from here).

the fact that it is region locked is why im getting it from america i dont want to wait for months to get a game thats already out in NA or doesnt even come out here in europe, btw was there any ever confirmation of it actually being locked? all i ever saw was an article that wasnt very clear about what exactly was locked (estore online games etc.). im sure you can set up an account that can be used in a region other than what you are currently in i mean its a damn portable not a console it just wouldnt make sense to be locked to one region

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kotaku released a list of the 23 games due to be out in the US by June or so: http://kotaku.com/5737885/the-23-3ds-games-you-can-play-by-june

It's a shame that none of the big Nintendo first party titles are going to make it out on time. Of that list SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Resi and SSFIV look good, but they're all pretty much remakes of older games. Kid Icarus is the potentially killer app for me, wish there was more new content than the list suggests. At least it's good old content.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Looking at the # of remakes/ports on the 3DS, I see a huge similarity between the gaming industry and the film industry, who constantly churn out remakes/re-imaginings/re-boots/sequels/prequels. We can't give out about Hollywood doing that if we don't give out about the videogame industry doing the same thing.

btw was there any ever confirmation of it actually being locked?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418359

All games will carry region codes, which means they will only work on consoles from a matching region. This is already in place for some DSi games.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418359

All games will carry region codes, which means they will only work on consoles from a matching region. This is already in place for some DSi games.

well that sucks but at the end of the day importing my games from NA doesnt bother me too much as they will still be cheaper than over here, i really dont think online play etc. will be region locked it just wouldnt make sense for a portable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

amazon has it for 220GBP

is a handheld console, my bro, ninty.....:O

Just looking at the Apple iPad's prices in May this year
    £429 (inc. VAT) for 16GB Wi-Fi iPad
    [cheapest, up to...]
    £699 (inc. VAT) for 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G iPad

So maybe Ninty know that tech-freaks will pay anything for a shiny new toy. So selling it for almost half price of an ipad, they still figure most people will pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i really think thats just insane to pay that amount of money for ipad D:

price of 3ds seems reasonable to me now lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Looking at the quality line up in 2011 on PS3 & Xbox 360 i'm not going to invest in this any time soon.Still will be buying Okamiden,Ghost Trick & Pokemon White for my DS Lite (along with a new battery for it).As a poster said no wonder people will pirate games at the willy waving price of the 3DS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It might be a good chance for Sony to gain a bit more of a foothold though. The 3DS is priced to make a profit while Sony could price the PSP2 as a loss leader. They could offer a machine with a 3D screen, two analogue sticks and at a comparable or cheaper price. Nintendo are a little but arrogant at the moment in the handheld market so the PSP2 reveal at the end of the month could be very interesting.

It will alrite RetrO.A lot of people in Europe feel let down today,the European press conferance was a total joke.If Sony come out with interesting games for their Handheld it will turn a few heads.Its no good having ports of PS3 games they need to make games that take advantage of a Handheld.Hope it isn't download only. I've a feeling they'll put a €280/300 price tag on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah download only would kill it for me. However a subscription service like netflix but for 3D movies could really be a good idea for it. Reading over on the US forums they feel the price is a little high as well.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nintendo are a little but arrogant at the moment in the handheld market so the PSP2 reveal at the end of the month could be very interesting.

I think it's massive that Nintendo have gotten 3D handheld consoles first. I imagine just by being the only dudes in this market for a while will definitely hurt the new Sony handheld. (I doubt a lot of people would get both!)

I'm quite interested now to see what Sony will do to try scoop up people on the fence for 3DS. But when is the PSP2/PSPhone coming out? Is there a solid release date/even plans?
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    However a subscription service like netflix but for 3D movies could really be a good idea for it.

Would you be willing to watch 3D movies on the 3DS on a regular basis? I can't see myself watching a film on such a small screen, after when the initial novelty wears off.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'm quite interested now to see what Sony will do to try scoop up people on the fence for 3DS. But when is the PSP2/PSPhone coming out? Is there a solid release date/even plans?

January 27th is when we will find out.
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    Would you be willing to watch 3D movies on the 3DS on a regular basis? I can't see myself watching a film on such a small screen, after when the initial novelty wears off.

No, I wouldn't, it would be pure games for me but it might be a good feature that will attract a lot of attention although I think nintendo have something like that planned as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

wont do much movie watching with that battery tbh

Anyone read the interview on EuroGamer there was times reading it where I was saying stick into him but they never ask the one question we want answered why do Europe not get a RRP & have to pay about €100 more than people in the US.Most the Answers to the Questions are a load of fact swerving rubbish.Its like he chose to talk out his arse rather than his mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I think I'll wait until it's been made region free then import one, completely ridiculous.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Anyone read the interview on EuroGamer there was times reading it where I was saying stick into him but they never ask the one question we want answered why do Europe not get a RRP & have to pay about €100 more than people in the US.Most the Answers to the Questions are a load of fact swerving rubbish.Its like he chose to talk out his arse rather than his mouth.

I completely agree. "Because we can and there's nothing you can do about it" is the actual answer. Like why are game releases delayed in Europe? I don't mind a few days - but a few weeks? Months?! - Are you not pressing enough? I'll only accept that excuse for small games, which might be a risky business venture (which is also bullcrap - you're going to release it in europe ANYWAY!) but guaranteed sellers like Super Mario Galaxy 2 etc, there's absolutely no excuse. It's not like you have celebrity opening ceremonies! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

GTR63 wrote: »

simply put: nintendo dont care about europe

they never have, and they never will

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The launch line-up looks pretty weak, there'll be a new an improved version of the hardware in a year's time, it's overpriced and region locking a handheld is mental.

This will be the first Nintendo console pretty much ever that I won't be buying at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

this post is in reply to a few other posts.

I said that the psp2 should have 2 analogue sticks and be more like a controller. Think it was retrogamer who disagreed sayin people dont by handhelds to be like their home machine.

I completely disagree. They dont buy them because they dont exist yet.

When sony or nintendo finally pull their finger out make a controller that can support the same games my console can by having a control system nearly identical then they'll have my attention but not until then.

All this 3d nonsense is not the way forward.

Why cant I play COD on a handheld.. thats right it has crappy button positions, not enough of them and only one bleedin analogue stick.

That was grand in the days of the first gameboy but come on its 2011!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The launch line-up looks pretty weak, there'll be a new an improved version of the hardware in a year's time, it's overpriced and region locking a handheld is mental.

This will be the first Nintendo console pretty much ever that I won't be buying at launch.

Err what?

DS Launch titles
    3DS Launch Titles confirmed so far
    • Pilotwings Resort
    • Nintendogs + Cats
    • Steeldiver
    • Dead or Alive
    • Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
    • Madden NFL
    • Super Street Fighter IV 3D
    • Asphalt 3D
    • Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
    • Ridge Racer 3D
    • Resident Evil: The Mercenaries
    • LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

Now IMO that's a far better lineup than the original DS launch. There's 3/4 good DS games there, there's a potential of very good games on the 3DS launch.

I think people are pist off that they dangled the likes of Ocarina of Time,Mario Kart,Metal Gear Solid & others in front of us & we end up getting games that despite 3D are mostly availible on PS3 or X360.

• Advertisement

Now IMO that's a far better lineup than the original DS launch. There's 3/4 good DS games there, there's a potential of very good games on the 3DS launch.

The problem is that you look at the 3DS list and they are mostly remakes, sequels, or just old IPs that frankly I don't care about. There is nothing on that list that makes me go "whoa! - I need one of these now" (except Pilotwings.... maybe)

The DS (when it came out) was a huge novelty with its touch screen gaming. That was more of a draw than the games, to be honest. It was something different (like the Wii was). The Wii launch games were pretty weak too (one or two great games amidst the crap), but people bought it because it was different.

So to summarise:

DS touchscreen - wow, something new and fresh.
    Wii controls - wow, something new and fresh.
    3DS 3D - wow, er..... gimmick?

I haven't seen in action, so I might change my mind when that happens. :)

Advertisement