Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activities appropriate for preschool children who have physical disabilities

Options
  • 09-09-2010 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

"Accept children with physical disabilities. Understand their limitations and degree of disabilities and provide them with learning opportunities to maximize their mobility and develop their intellectual and social potential;"

i've highlighted a section above, I would just like to know if anyone can help me come up with ideas for activities appropriate for preschool children who have physical disabilities?

Thanks x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Depends on the kind of disability. I have a cousin who has severe cerebral palsy (wheelchair bound, motor skills very impaired, very bright though), his favourite thing in the world is music. They're pre-school kids so singalongs and things like that include everyone (unless they're deaf/mute..). Crafts are popular, too, things like blocks or finger painting or whatever else. May not be pretty, but they'd enjoy it and pretty doesn't matter.

The biggest problem the kids face is frustration at not being able to do things everyone else can. My cousin used to get so incredibly angry and frustrated he would lash out quite a lot when he was young, biting, kicking, etc. Bad behaviour but I guess I could kind of understand it, it must be unbelievably tough to be of normal mind but incapable of doing things most children can or not being able to express yourself. As long as you keep that in mind, they can do most things other little kids can, within reason. As long as you're forgiving and encouraging, it doesn't matter.

I can ask my aunt what kind of other things he was into and helped him, but again, it might help more if you outline some disabilities the children have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Oh, and field trips! Animal farms and the like, petting zoos, etc. Kids like that tend to love animals, though unfortunately can be rough with them if they don't have a lot of control over their movements. Supervised they should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mclimi

the child that I'm talking about has a number of physical disabilities, she is unable to sit up and her spine needs to supported all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Take them out for social outings to the shops assuming you have appropriate transport available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

get an occupational therapist to review them a provide an appropriate list of activities appropriate to their needs. They would need an assessment before this can happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

also please don't ask for medical advice on this forum.You should consult your local health office for more information. Thanks :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

My son has cp and is wheelchair bound he can't talk but lives in his own happy world he loves moving on the boat or in the car we have taken him horse riding but he did not like it as much as other kids did, he also loves swimming and music.We brought him to an animal farm where when given a kitten to pet he press down on it to see if would play music like all of his toys do.:)

Advertisement