Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making an offer on a house + Question about EA

Options
  • 09-09-2010 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

I will be looking in the next week or so to place an offer on a house.

The thing is, I'm not too sure how to do so!

When contacting the EA, do you just do it over the phone, do you email, you you write a letter etc?

Having been show around the house, was told all fixtures and fittings come included. I know before the contracts are signed that this would all need to be specified in writing but is it needed to specify that in the offer as well?

Cheers for any help

EDIT: Another question. If I make an offer on a house, is the EA obliged by law to tell the seller?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Ortiz

Just ring the EA and say you want to put an offer of x amount on the house. The EA will then say grand and contact the owner and will get back to you within a couple of days i'd say.

In regards fixtures and fittings there's no need to menton them until later really. It'd do no harm to be sure but it's standard stuff you won't be shafted on it or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

OP send a friend or family member around to take a look at the place. Decide what price you want it at. Then get your mate to put in a very low ball offer. Then you come in with your offer, which is slightly higher. This way your own (low) offer looks better in the light of the really low ball offer and you may get it at a good discount.

Of course all of this isn't entirely ethical but hey, estate agents have been playing games with phantom bidders for years so no harm to play the game yourself if it'll save you a good few thousand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Cheers for the replies lads

anyone know an asnwer to the second question?
    Another question. If I make an offer on a house, is the EA obliged by law to tell the seller?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Ortiz

As far as i'm aware yes.

In the 'Code of Practice for Property Services Providers' Section 2.4 - 'Duty to Client' states that Property Service Providers should at all times:

"Promptly and without undue delay inform clients, or their representatives, of any offer made on the property covered by the agreement or letter of engagement"

They also have to keep a record of all offers that come through their office for a period of 6 years.

This document was composed by the Government of Ireland 2007.

In saying all that if a ridiculous low offer came in i'd say some EA's wouldn't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ACCA trainee

Not sure if this is the correct thread but it is close, I am looking at a house in a decent town to buy. The asking price in Nov 2012 was 105K and they put this up to 130K in May 2013. This is a 2 part question, what offer should I put in and how can I be sure/find out if the offer was given to the sellers?
    Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Not sure if this is the correct thread but it is close, I am looking at a house in a decent town to buy. The asking price in Nov 2012 was 105K and they put this up to 130K in May 2013. This is a 2 part question, what offer should I put in and how can I be sure/find out if the offer was given to the sellers?
    Thank you
    As regards the first part of your query, can you check if other properties in the same area have been sold recently ? this info will be on PropertyPriceRegister.ie or you could compare against asking prices for similar houses in the area. This information could act as a benchmark in deciding how much to offer ? An increase in price of the order outlined in your posting appears to be at variance with trends in rural Ireland unless its in a very desirable area or its an exceptional property !
    Be guided by current sale prices for similar properties before you make your move !
    As advised by other posters in this forum, I believe EA's have a duty to inform sellers of offers made on their property
    Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

RATM wrote: »
    OP send a friend or family member around to take a look at the place. Decide what price you want it at. Then get your mate to put in a very low ball offer. Then you come in with your offer, which is slightly higher. This way your own (low) offer looks better in the light of the really low ball offer and you may get it at a good discount.

Whatever about being unethical, is this even legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why would it be illegal? EA have been doing the opposite for years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Whatever about being unethical, is this even legal?

Why wouldn't it be legal?

Advertisement