Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite cake or pie

Options
  • 09-09-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

We're having a bit of a get together at my house this saturday and going out for dinner first. We were planning on having dessert back at the house, and I wanted some opinions on what cake, pie or other dessert you'd like to find on offer.

So far, someone has offered to bring a banoffee, and I'm trying to persuade someone else to make a carrot cake. I'll have to do the rest of them. I was thinking a pavlova (which I have never made before) and a cheese cake (which I have also never made before). What do you think? Would you suggest anything instead, or as well? Maybe pavlova and cheesecake are too tricky and you can think of something easier?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Whispered wrote: »
    We're having a bit of a get together at my house this saturday and going out for dinner first. We were planning on having dessert back at the house, and I wanted some opinions on what cake, pie or other dessert you'd like to find on offer.

So far, someone has offered to bring a banoffee, and I'm trying to persuade someone else to make a carrot cake. I'll have to do the rest of them. I was thinking a pavlova (which I have never made before) and a cheese cake (which I have also never made before). What do you think? Would you suggest anything instead, or as well? Maybe pavlova and cheesecake are too tricky and you can think of something easier?

Thanks.

I think pavlovas are fabulous... realistically they're just a meringue base and whipped cream with fruit on top so you're really given the reigns with what you can do with it.

I use a fantastic Clodagh McKenna meringue recipe that means the meringues have that lovely half-baked texture in the middle but are fantasticly crunchy and light on the outside.

Another thing you could do with the pavlova is flavour the cream with raspberries or something else, something that would contrast well with the fruit that you put onto the pavlova.

You could also do individual pavlovas (i.e. make smaller meringues) and cater them to each guest's taste (although that might be a lot of effort!) or personalize them in another way?

Mille-feuille is lovely as well, and isn't as complicated to make as it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

you could do eaton mess which taskes a little pressure off a good looking meringue... when i do an eaton mess i use cream with vanilla, whip it up a bit then whip in some mascarpone and, if you are so inclined, you can even whip in some ready made runny custard...it's soooo good!

i like a baked cheesecake, not too tough to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I love sponge cake. (The queen of tarts on cow lane does a beautiful one if you're ever about.)

Coffee Cake (My mum used to buy one each Friday as a treat for after dinner)

Madeira cake: My mum sometimes gave me a slice in my lunchbox going to school!

Advertisement