Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Life Trolling in The Advertiser

Options
  • 09-09-2010 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone been following this the past month or six weeks? It began with a 'T Leonard' writing a letter to the editor in which he complained that we don't exploit our natural resources and eat enough whale. References were made to how great Japan and Norway are for hunting and eating whale and dolphin, and that we should be using all our natural resources, and that we were missing out on loads of meat, and that the minority were holding the majority to ransom (made it sound like the majority of people wanted to eat whale but were scared of vegan nazi concentration camps). That was funny enough as a one off quirky letter, but he got responses! To which there were counter responses from Mr Leonard and yet another response this week!
    Did anyone see these letters? I don't know if they are on the advertiser site but they are pretty funny, it will be interesting to see how long this goes on or what the outcome will be. I'm surprised the editor even ran such a ridiculous letter in the first place, but perhaps they were hoping for a 'debate' to happen.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

0.jpg
    It wouldn't be the first time either the Advo's been taken in by a hoax letter or has let one in that was designed to boost circulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

That episode goes through my head every time there's a new letter. Here is the second letter from T Leonard, you actually can find them all on the advertiser site;

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/30409

The random attacks, name calling, accusations of 'petit bourgeois righteous feelings' are all classic trolling tactics (bonus point for using petit bourgeois in the wrong context). If this were on boards the thread would be locked by now. I'm hoping it goes on a little bit longer it livens up the paper a bit, but I also feel bad for the two or three people (at least the published ones) who have been taken in by this guy and responded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

Absolutely hilarious

The real idiots are the people who bothered to write a response

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I love whales, they taste delicious.

Pure gold :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah, I've been enjoying that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Yup, i've spotted them. Mmmm, whales..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Ha Ha brilliant!

Ahhh I miss the advertiser!

/sighs wistfully

:pac::D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'd love to join in, but I can't think of anything subtle enough that would still get the moral outrage up. Hmm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It'd be awesome if we could get scans of these letters in chronographic order, well, it would be mildly entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

• Advertisement
Advertisement