Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Financially F**kered?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

They continued with the very same policy they had in the good times selling matches in groups to block bookers...but times are hard now and they will struggle even further after the Russia game as people will have been to the new stadium and tasted the atmosphere and also seen the perceived best team in the group. They will have to re look at the pricing structure and policy as with the new home nations tournament (all irelands matches are at home as far as i know) that is something like 9 internationals at home in 12 month period since the Argentina game..huge expense when the country is in a recession and going down the tubes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

You see i can't understand this at all. They charge 70 blips a pop for a match againest the likes of Andorra and get 40,000 suckers in attendence. I doubt there in another country in europe that could get away with charging that sort of money and still cry poverty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Internationals are their only source income no?

That and fining LOI clubs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

dfx- wrote: »

3 as well.

They would get funding from the Government too though afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Would love them to go bankrupt. No doubt though they will be saved from anything, they will all keep their jobs and be hated for about a week and then everyone will forget and love everything to do with Irish football again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

They took in 2.8million roughly in gate receipts, do you honestly think they would have got an extra 9500 people if they dropped the price to 56 euro a ticket.

I'm not trying to defend them but thats realistically the best they could hope for against a team like andorra on a tuesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I assume there could be another Night of the Long Knives in Abbotstown soon.

Then another sleveen will rise amid those stabbed in the back.

And nothing will change, especially for the league that the organization are supposed to protect and promote.

Next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Is their any evidence to suggest they've tried to cut their own costs at all?

They are a business like any other and should be focusing on efficiency in harder times as opposed to unrealistic income targets.

Paleface wrote: »
    Is their any evidence to suggest they've tried to cut their own costs at all?

Erm, no.

John Delaney - €430,000 per year. :eek:

Which I think is more than Brian Cowen and a number of other EU Leaders to put it into perspective.

cson wrote: »
    Erm, no.

Which I think is more than Brian Cowen and a number of other EU Leaders to put it into perspective.

A quick google shows that in fact it's actually more than Obama gets for "managing" the USA.

Something is wrong in there somewhere methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Erm, no.

That's shocking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

dfx- wrote: »

Not trying to rake over old coals but ...

This is the same FAI who blocked Barcelona playing Limerick at Thomond .
    If they cant see a money making opportunity in that ( when your in the ****s financially ) then I hold out no hope for this bunch .

Out with them all at board level .This organisation is Cronyism in its finest form .
    If its takes a financial crisis to shift them then so be it . There are plenty of good things and people who support the FAI week in week out , but the shams at the top need a good kick in the arse .

M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,808 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Erm, no.

Thats an absolutely shocking salary for a guy who, when you break it down, is the head of an organisation which:
    1. Get the majority of its funding via the taxpayer and private donors (not that I have a major issue with this)
    2. Looks after predominently, an amateur sport in this country/
    3. Has time and time again made a hames of the top leagues in this country.
    4. Already pays a couple of million to the national team manager and setup.
    5. Hasnt developed the sport in any way/shape or form from the heady days of the early 90's.

Thats a shocking salary, really its a complete joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

just as a comparison... the tickets for the top game of group A between Germany vs. Turkey in Berlin next month start from 25 Euro (reduced price of 18 Euro for students, OAP etc.), and the best seats in the stadium are 100 Euro.

seems to be much more reasonable, and much better Value.

http://www.dfb.de/index.php?id=510071

Erm, no.

Holy sweet Devine ...

"Please Mr Blatter could we please be team number 33 at the World Cup , please please , pleaseeee. " :rolleyes::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Disgraceful really.

Mister men wrote: »
    You see i can't understand this at all. They charge 70 blips a pop for a match againest the likes of Andorra and get 40,000 suckers in attendence. I doubt there in another country in europe that could get away with charging that sort of money and still cry poverty.

They get these crowds because of selling them in blocks to block bookers...I think alot of block bookers will pull out after the Russia game......the FAI are ringing block bookers to increase their allocations and also have gone to the people on the waiting lists as well...I think after russia they will have nowhere left to turn and will have to look at prices...they should do family deals ..get the kids in and future proof the next generation

DubDani wrote: »
    just as a comparison... the tickets for the top game of group A between Germany vs. Turkey in Berlin next month start from 25 Euro (reduced price of 18 Euro for students, OAP etc.), and the best seats in the stadium are 100 Euro.

seems to be much more reasonable, and much better Value.

http://www.dfb.de/index.php?id=510071

This why the Bundesliga is the best supported league in europe..Ticket prices are reasonable thus crowds are increased..The prices we pay for friendlies are up there with champions league final prices

Delaney Annual Wage ..

€430,000 / €50 ticket = 8600 seats a year

Cost wise that's over a quarter of all tickets sales from last Wednesdays Aviva attendance.:eek:

WRONG , WRONG , WRONG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

First of all John Delaney getting that much is a total disgrace, no-one can defend that.

The price of the tickets are too high, I had an allocation for the past 5 years and saw almost all home games but I gave up my allocation for the new Aviva because I simply couldn't afford the price or getting off work early for midweek games.

I did go Tuesday night because I got a free ticket and I have to say the stadium is of very high quality.

I will say this in defence of the FAI, several people have complained to me about the price of tickets for Irish games and those very same people attend at least 2 premier leagues a year.

Now that €50 - €70 for an Irish match goes into the FAI who do invest back into Irish Soccer (could do a lof more if fat cats like Delaney got pay cuts). So while I agree its too expensive I think if people support their national side a bit more than PL teams Irish Soccer would much better off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

didnt we discuss this a few weeks ago the day after the FAI agm? same figures, same results.

the indo and rte are just rehashing the same story again, there is nothing new here. we know the seats didnt sell and theres a full thread on here about it. the FAI are not financially f*cked, they are making profits and will continue to do so and make back repayments also.

its like saying every family in ireland that has a mortgage is financially f*cked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Villain wrote: »

I will say this in defence of the FAI, several people have complained to me about the price of tickets for Irish games and those very same people attend at least 2 premier leagues a year.

Now that €50 - €70 for an Irish match goes into the FAI who do invest back into Irish Soccer (could do a lof more if fat cats like Delaney got pay cuts). So while I agree its too expensive I think if people support their national side a bit more than PL teams Irish Soccer would much better off.

Would it not make more sense in saying if people suppported their National League more than the PL, therefore the FAI's money could be used to more benefit in the junior leagues, etc...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Would it not make more sense in saying if people suppported their National League more than the PL, therefore the FAI's money could be used to more benefit in the junior leagues, etc...?

Basically you want us to pay so John Delaney and the FAI heads can get a pay rise for their "Hard work" promoting the national league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

This why the Bundesliga is the best supported league in europe..Ticket prices are reasonable thus crowds are increased..The prices we pay for friendlies are up there with champions league final prices

Just to add your match ticket over there gets you onto any bus/train/tram for free 90 minutes before and after the game :)

The LOI fans got screwed years ago for tickets, between us the junior clubs we used to get the most tickets. Then the heady days came and we struggled to get tickets.

Oddly all LOI clubs had their allocation increased and junior clubs also can get more tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

There's no way I will in any way support the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

A quick google shows that in fact it's actually more than Obama gets for "managing" the USA.

Something is wrong in there somewhere methinks.

thats an incredibly naive way of looking at how much the POTUS gets.

its always thrown around that cowen, cameron etc make more than him but its not the same thing at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

jaysus, thats more then pat kenny!

ya gotta love ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

kippy wrote: »
    Thats an absolutely shocking salary for a guy who, when you break it down, is the head of an organisation which:
    1. Get the majority of its funding via the taxpayer and private donors (not that I have a major issue with this)
    2. Looks after predominently, an amateur sport in this country/
    3. Has time and time again made a hames of the top leagues in this country.
    4. Already pays a couple of million to the national team manager and setup.
    5. Hasnt developed the sport in any way/shape or form from the heady days of the early 90's.

Thats a shocking salary, really its a complete joke.

Cant argue with points 1 to 4 but No 5 is the type of sh1t that constatntly gets regurgitated and it it totally and utterly wrong. The game at grassroots level has changed beyond all recognition and continues to improve. There is more to football in this ciuntry than the national team but you wouldnt think it reading some of the stuff here.

amacachi wrote: »
    There's no way I will in any way support the FAI.

he's not asking you to support the FAI. He's suggesting that football fans start to support their national league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,808 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Cant argue with points 1 to 4 but No 5 is the type of sh1t that constatntly gets regurgitated and it it totally and utterly wrong. The game at grassroots level has changed beyond all recognition and continues to improve. There is more to football in this ciuntry than the national team but you wouldnt think it reading some of the stuff here.
    I disagree. More money has been invested in facilities however most of this money has either been via the national lottery or government backed grants, fought for by local clubs with little or no help from the national higher level of the FAI. I see this at my home club (Mayo based) and the clubs around Galway.
    Just to add to those points, this is the guy who was responsible for the "world class manager" Steve Stauntons reign, then blaming the "3 man committee" when it went pear shaped.
    He has been given another few years in the job as well.

He's preseided over a shambolic national league as well might I add.

I realise there is more to soccer in this country than the national team but a good barometer of the health of soccer here is Ironicilly the number of players playing in top premiership teams. We have very few right now, despite the alleged improvement in grass roots.

Still 430k a year is seriously bad. How did his wages get to that level?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

People going to league games, buying jerseys etc, would mean the media would have to report more, standards of play, youth structures and facilities would go up, sponsorship for clubs and the FAI would go up. But nah, lets continue laughing at people for following Irish football while whining about the national team being ****.

he's not asking you to support the FAI. He's suggesting that football fans start to support their national league.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

bohsman wrote: »
    People going to league games, buying jerseys etc, would mean the media would have to report more, standards of play, youth structures and facilities would go up, sponsorship for clubs and the FAI would go up. But nah, lets continue laughing at people for following Irish football while whining about the national team being ****.

I don't see how the FAI would benefit from the clubs making more money. All of the clubs would piss any extra revenue up against the wall.

The only thing run more poorly than the FAI are the teams in the Airtricity League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    I don't see how the FAI would benefit from the clubs making more money. All of the clubs would piss any extra revenue up against the wall.

The only thing run more poorly than the FAI are the teams in the Airtricity League.

As I said, more support, more media coverage, more sponsorship money and tv revenue for the FAI. Anyone that wants the national team to grow can not expect this to happen while everyone is pumping their money into English football.

I have no problem with anyone supporting English football, I watch a lot of it myself and put more time than most into FF etc. I dont want this to turn into another LOI EPL roundabout, this is purely about a country needing a strong league to be able to build infrastructure to build a strong national team. We cant continue to expect England to train or best youth talent and I'd also be certain more players would have made it if they had been able to develop without having to leave home at 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I was a block booker for all Croke Park games, was told months ago that I wouldn't be getting any tickets for the Aviva. In July I got a letter one Thursday looking for 700 for 2 season tickets for all 9 home games over the next year, but it had to be paid by the following Tuesday, a joke really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Hard to have pity for the FAI. Very arrogant to think people would pay €32,000 (about €530 a game) to see such a low standard of football. You're just not getting value for money. You could go to every away game for that price
    Rosco1982 wrote: »

That attitude reminds me of when homer Simpson said "kids, you've tried and failed. The lesson to be learned here is never try"

:rolleyes:

yes very constructive post. Well done. no wonder you have over 10,000 posts

yes very constructive post. Well done. no wonder you have over 10,000 posts

iceburn.gif

I felt that little guy conveyed as much as words could, and if you couldn't read into it then it's not worth discussing it any further with you.

iceburn.gif

I felt that little guy conveyed as much as words could, and if you couldn't read into it then it's not worth discussing it any further with you.

Grand. i can't be arsed discusing anything with someone who cant articulate their thoughts without recourse to childishness..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

What justifies paying that man €430k a year? What has he done to make him worthy of such a pay check? Looking at football in this country, seems like **** all to me. Honestly WHY do we just stand by while this idiot who clearly cant do he's job is in charge. Another joke in this poorly run country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement