Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i5-760 speeds fluctuating hughly in Idle, normally?

Options
  • 09-09-2010 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

i got my new rig today

Specs; ENGTX460 asus 1gb
    Memory; 6GB DDR3 Corsair
    CPU; i5-760
    Cooler Master 700w PSU + Haf 432 case with an additional large fan
    Mobo; MSI P55-GD80

Just finished installing windows7hp/drivers etc for all the components.

There seems to be fluctuations in the CPU speeds, see below. This is happening every few seconds

highy.jpg

lowu.jpg

I havent changed any settings in the software for the mobo control panel, nor have i messed around with OC genie buttons on the mobo.

Am i missing something here? Thanks

Edit; Heres some temps

tempdc.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

its perfectly normal.

it underclocks to save power.

and dont worry about it, as it takes a nano second for it to clock back to normal speeds when you want to do something.

if you want to disable it, its called cpu throttling and is found in the bios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

its perfectly normal.

it underclocks to save power.

and dont worry about it, as it takes a nano second for it to clock back to normal speeds when you want to do something.

if you want to disable it, its called cpu throttling and is found in the bios.

ah, cool, im new to this overclocking business.

thanks a million

Just changed power settings to high and it remains on full whack :-)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Why?? :confused: Now it just sucks more juice when you're doing nothing! :p

Solitaire wrote: »

Aye was just testing :p

Anyway, I used OC geny to see what would happen. But it stays at the speed below even when i put power options on high/low in idle

ocgeny.png

Does that look like a dodgy overclock?

Also the guys who built it put a cooler master metallic fan over the CPU, and left the original intel one in the box, would the intel one be better?

Finally Temps were reading slightly higher than 50c on full load, and are now
    around 42c in idle, i guess it shouldnt be that high idle right?

Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

nuxxx wrote: »
    Aye was just testing :p

Anyway, I used OC geny to see what would happen. But it stays at the speed below even when i put power options on high/low in idle

ocgeny.png

Does that look like a dodgy overclock?

Also the guys who built it put a cooler master metallic fan over the CPU, and left the original intel one in the box, would the intel one be better?

Finally Temps were reading slightly higher than 50c on full load, and are now
    around 42c in idle, i guess it shouldnt be that high idle right?

Thanks for any help
    Yeah well you bus speed is 200 now as opposed to 133 (stock) earlier. Unless you've enabled XMP or want to overclock, go back to the way it was.

• Advertisement

oced @ 3.5 and im happy enuff with that for now

does anyone have any experience of ocing the gtx460? i pushed mine up the core clock speed to 750 and it never went over 60c in stress tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

download furmark. its a great way to stress test your gpu.

and leave it on auto fan. its easier that way. your card can go to 110*C, so dont worry about temps.

mine runs at around 75*C on full load, and fan on 40%

aye, furmark is nice.

got a few blue screens testing different overclocks on both the cpu and gfx card, gona look more into it tomorrow

i dont trust that oc genie button, only seems to add a pretty high 1.4volts to the card

if anyone has any experience/advice on ocing the 460 and i5-760 be my guest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

massy086 wrote: »

Followed what he done and didnt even oc it as high as he did and my temps shot up to 70/80c instantly running prime95 :eek:

Just reset the cmos and all back to normal. I think im gona get some water cooling for my 932. Annoying though, idle temp times on air around 28c

• Advertisement

what cooler are you using im on a msi gd 65 with a i5.750 and my temps are 39 idle 65 prime full load i have a true 120 and im at 4.2ghz

OC it manually and do not OV straight to 1.4v!!! That should be an upper limit for a 45nm CPU on big air/light WC! :eek:

what cooler are you using im on a msi gd 65 with a i5.750 and my temps are 39 idle 65 prime full load i have a true 120 and im at 4.2ghz

Theres a coolermaster air fan on the cpu, theres 2 large fans on the side and case, and another smaller fan on the back of the case.

@ Solitaire tryed ocing manually even to like 3.5GHz and prime still shot my temps up to 80c instantly. This is quiet head wrecking to say the least :p

I suppose air cooling isnt possible if i want to OC

can u link your cooler.. im on air

can u link your cooler.. im on air

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/cooling/CoolerMaster_Hyper_212_Plus/pics/1000.jpg

It doesnt have the extention fan though, only 1 fan

HAF + Hyper 212 + hot LGA1156 quad = something very, very wrong ugone2far.gif

I'd expect that kind of performance from the stock HSF, something is very borked in your PC :eek:

HAF + Hyper 212 + hot LGA1156 quad = something very, very wrong ugone2far.gif

I'd expect that kind of performance from the stock HSF, something is very borked in your PC :eek:

I`d guess im just not overclocking properly, have zero experience.

Overclocked my gtx460 by 100mhz and not a single problem. In stress tests it never went over 65c

Edit: Actually the cooler is this Name: Cooler Master Hyper TX3, alle Sockel

nuxxx wrote: »
    Edit: Actually the cooler is this Name: Cooler Master Hyper TX3, alle Sockel

...oh. That changes things :o

Still, if you were OCing manually what voltage did you use?

...oh. That changes things :o

Still, if you were OCing manually what voltage did you use?

around 1.3v i think.

Core temps on absolute idle are around 26c btw, if that changes anything.

I`d pay someone to get it even to 3.5GHZ stable lol

Check your core and uncore (vTT) voltages again as well as the full OCd speed. The TX3 can't touch the 212 but especially in a HAF you should not be getting those temps! If the TX3, being a cheap 92mm cooler, uses those accursed push-pins to attach then take a good look at them; one might only be halfway in and the cooler may not be making good contact with the CPU's IHS :o

• Advertisement

Check your core and uncore (vTT) voltages again as well as the full OCd speed. The TX3 can't touch the 212 but especially in a HAF you should not be getting those temps! If the TX3, being a cheap 92mm cooler, uses those accursed push-pins to attach then take a good look at them; one might only be halfway in and the cooler may not be making good contact with the CPU's IHS :o

just ran prime there for a hour or so on stock settings and temps were @ 55c

Should they realistically be that high? I`ll take a look at the cooler to make sure its fittered correctly

Cooler info; http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/2763/cooler_master_hyper_tx3_i5_cpu_cooler/index.html

replaced cooler, still the same :mad:

For a 95W quad on a decent mini-tower cooler its a bit high but within the bounds of reason, especially if the ambient temp was fairly warm at the time.

The OCd results are still quite high but its always the problem with OCing a quad on a 92mm mini-tower; either buy a new cooler or stick it out, or see what OC you can reach at lower voltages if you can't stand the heat :o

For a 95W quad on a decent mini-tower cooler its a bit high but within the bounds of reason, especially if the ambient temp was fairly warm at the time.

The OCd results are still quite high but its always the problem with OCing a quad on a 92mm mini-tower; either buy a new cooler or stick it out, or see what OC you can reach at lower voltages if you can't stand the heat :o

ye, ordering another gtx460 so i`ll pick up some nice cooling solutions too :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

In his defence, VLC has a horrible bug in Windows where audio packets are dropped when the CPU underclocks. I have mine running at 2833MHz the whole time.

Thank God I still use JetAudio for most things :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Thank God I still use JetAudio for most things :pac:

fb2k for music but VLC still comes up trumps for video. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

@nuxxx
    i used this guide to oc my i5 760 to a safe 3.6ghz http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57310

its a different mobo but probably similar enuf to what you have.

@nuxxx
    i used this guide to oc my i5 760 to a safe 3.6ghz http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57310

its a different mobo but probably similar enuf to what you have.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks a mill :)

I`ll let ya know how i get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement