Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic insulation removal

• 09-09-2010 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Im going to re insulate my attic, theres already insulation up there it looks like its about 30 years old though, should i remove the old stuff or just put the new stuff over the old insulation,

anyone suggest what insulation to use, theres rockwool there already, wont be using the attic as a living area just for storage,

any info wolud be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

If it was me I wouldn't bother taking it out.

After all the more the better.

And it would be a royal pain in the ass to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

If the insulation is in good nick there should be no real reason to remove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Leave it there, there's no need to take it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

I would raise the ceiling joists by say 50mm and then lay warmcell.
    It comes in a bag and u loosen it up in a big cardboard box or bucket and just spread it out, works a dream, the dust is non toxic, however do use a good face mask when laying as u will raise dust from the old stuff

The reason I say raise the joist is that this for or insulation is the best value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Leave it.

Advertisement