Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dallas [TNT - US] *Spoilers*

• 09-09-2010 1:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

:eek: --> :rolleyes:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/09/08/tnt-tbs-order-4-pilots-including-dallas-update/

The big hats and big drama of 'Dallas' are officially coming to TNT, according to a Turner press release.

The cable channel has ordered a reboot of the popular series in the form of a pilot that will focus on offspring of the "bitter rivals and brothers J.R. and Bobby Ewing, who clash over the future of the Ewing dynasty while the fate of Southfork itself weighs in the balance,'' according to the release.

The series will be shot by Warner Horizon Television, executive produced by Cynthia Cidre of 'Cane' fame, and will feature the next generation of fighting Ewings. 'Dallas' was a ratings smash for CBS from 1979 to 1991, and spawned reunion movies in 1996 and 1998.

Original stars Patrick Duffy (Bobby), Larry Hagman (J.R.) and Linda Gray (Sue Ellen) were reportedly approached about participating when news of the reboot first surfaced in 2009, but the current press release makes no mention of whether or not they're on board.

Turner also announced three other pilots for TNT and TBS.

-- 'Perception' is a procedural that follows Dr. Geoffrey Pierce, "an eccentric neuroscientist who uses his unique outlook to help the federal government solve complex cases.'' It's executive produced by Kenneth Biller and Mike Sussman, both of 'Star Trek: Voyager,' for TNT.

-- An untitled Allan Loeb Project for TNT is based on based on the novel 'The Rabbit Factory' by Marshall Karp, in which a recently widowed police detective receives "humorous and heartfelt weekly letters from his wife a year after her death'' while trying to navigate the singles market and catch the bad guys. Loeb's recent screenplays include 'The Switch' and 'Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.'

-- Finally, 'Brain Trust' on TBS depicts a detective whose career is on the rocks but rebounds thanks to "three hyper-smart geniuses from a private think tank.'' Dean Devlin, executive producer of "Leverage,' and Marco Schnabel (TNT's 'The Librarian') are the brains behind 'Brain Trust.'

"These pilots reflect our enthusiasm for relatable but complex everyman heroes, showcased in exciting storytelling environments,'' said Michael Wright, head of programming for TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies, in the release. "We are confident each of these projects would be a terrific addition to our original series line-up.''

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yay. :)

Dallas was a big part of my TV habit growing up, so I hope they don't make a balls of it. They better not start it with a wrinkly Patrick Duffy in the shower...

In fact I'd put money on Bobby Ewing being murdered in the shower in the first few episodes (if they convince Patrick to come back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it's official!

we are now officially back in the 80's!

80's clothes, recession, 80's music, The A-Team and now Dallas back on the telly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Fox's new show Lone Star is very similar to Dallas

Looks like the Dallas reboot is on the fast track (and getting a bit of pedigree).
    Patrick Duffy has confirmed his involvement in the upcoming remake of the 1980s TV series Dallas and referred to the pilot script as "brilliant".

Duffy told PA that the revived show will feature several established characters, including his own role Bobby Ewing and the corrupt oil baron JR Ewing (Larry Hagman).

"They're going to do a pilot," he announced. "It will be centred on the younger generation but they have been in conversation with Larry [Hagman], Linda [Gray] and myself to sort of anchor and add a pedigree to it."

He continued: "I've read scripts when they've tried to do films of it and they were absolutely horrendous and this is actually a brilliant script."

Duffy added that he looks forward to playing heartthrob Bobby again more than a decade after the last Dallas TV movie.

"It'll be surreal if we actually end up playing those parts and going back to Texas and South Fork. I'm 60 years old now and I started Bobby when I was 28. It'll be surreal but it'll also be enjoyable, Larry and Linda are my dearest friends ever in the world."

The actor also referenced his character's controversial return to the series in a memorable 1986 episode after seemingly dying during the show's eighth season.

He jested: "I'm the only one that can come back from the dead though, it's in my contract."

A pilot for the Dallas reboot is expected to be filmed in 2011.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a278670/patrick-duffy-dallas-remake-is-brilliant.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Jesus Christ. Won't be long before we have a Wanderley Wagon reboot.

• Advertisement

At least then this forum will get some activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Poochie05

There goes my hope that maybe TNT would take over Lonestar. :(
    They'd be too similar, although IMO describing Lonestar as the new Dallas doesn't do it justice going by what I've seen to date. It's just set in the Texas oil world but I think the situation of the main character is a novel twist and could prevent it being too much a weekly family drama.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:eek: Great news, i was always a fan of Dallas so i was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Skerries wrote: »
    it's official!

we are now officially back in the 80's!

80's clothes, recession, 80's music, The A-Team and now Dallas back on the telly

And dont forget the remake of the wall street movie:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

Keifer Sutherland is being strongly link with the role of John Ross Ewing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1317453/Dallas-return-TV-starring-Kiefer-Sutherland.html

Good to seem him getting back into TV so soon but with the upcoming 24 movie(s) I really didnt think he'd be able to commit himself to these two major roles.

• Advertisement

danh789 wrote: »
    Keifer Sutherland is being strongly link with the role of John Ross Ewing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1317453/Dallas-return-TV-starring-Kiefer-Sutherland.html

Good to seem him getting back into TV so soon but with the upcoming 24 movie(s) I really didnt think he'd be able to commit himself to these two major roles.

Isnt he too old :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LOVELY THELMA

Larry Hagman, Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy are all returning for the new Dallas according to www.dallasfanzine.com. Can't wait. Mr Duffy may be 61 but he still makes my little heart flutter!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bullmccabe2010

Is Cliff Barnes coming back? Last I heard the actor who played him was in prison for DUI.

Barnes-you always were dumb!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

Just read that a new series of DALLAS is on the way: http://ivorcasey.blogspot.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I'm kinda getting sick of seeing all these shows being remade - 90210, Hawaii Five-O, now Dallas.

Dallas could be good though. Hopefully the cast members won't consist mainly of beautiful 20-somethings, with the older cast taking a back seat.

Dallas threads merged (the newshounds here picked up on this last September!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

oh thats cool. Glad to see this has been picked up already. Seems to be a definite as opposed to a rumour then! Im looking forward to seeing JR Ewing again! He was the most entertaining character on TV ever!

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Larry-Hagman-Dallas-1028243.aspx
    After stories floated that TNT had failed to reach a financial agreement with Larry Hagman to reprise his role of J.R. Ewing in an update of the 1978-91 primetime soap Dallas — and would move forward with an altered script that would write out the popular character — both parties expressed hope that the conflict could be resolved.
    And now I'm happy to report that a deal's been struck! Yep, I just got off the phone with Larry, who tells me he's in! "I haven't signed any contract but I gave them my commitment verbally," says the star, who'll turn 80 this year. "I just told them I'd do it and my word's good!"
    The updated pilot, written by former Cane scribe Cynthia Cidre, finds 'ole J.R. confined to a mental asylum in a near catatonic state, having not spoken a word in years. How does Larry feel about this bold and startling plot development?
    "Whatever they want is okay with me," he says, vowing J.R. won't be locked away for long. "Oh, I'll get out and cause more trouble! That's for sure!"

• Advertisement

Another good reason to watch.....
    (Just as long as she doesn't get with JR Sr.). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

YAYYY! I started watching Dallas when I was 16 as it used to be on RTE one at like 10am. My dad thought I was mad when the whole "who shot JR" storyline came about! LOVE Dallas! :)

God he is an awful choice he a terrible actor

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The thin-lipped harridan from Chuck? Yuck.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a302877/jesse-metcalfe-in-running-for-dallas.html

Jesse Metcalfe is reportedly in the running for the role of Christopher Ewing in TNT's Dallas reboot.
    According to TV Line, Metcalfe
    and newcomer Alex Russell and in contention for the part of Bobby and Pam Ewing's adopted son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I really really wish people would stop calling this a reboot.

The definition of reboot is to restart something.
    They're rebooting Dallas (like they rebooted 90210, Melrose, etc.)

Reboot doesn't necessarily mean start from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Mr E wrote: »

They're resuming rather than restarting though

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »

No your wrong reboot means to discard all previous continuity and start again from the begining this Dallas is not a reboot and it is continuing on from the previous series the same way Star Trek The Next Generation continued on from Star Trek and the recent 90210 and Melrose series are continuations of the previous series not a reboot.

Hawaii Five is a reboot. V is a reboot. Battlestar Galactica is a reboot.

^ it's a reboot...i'll bet it'll be quite different from the original.

^ it's a reboot...i'll bet it'll be quite different from the original.

It may be different but doesn't make it a reboot for someone who appears to watch allot of television you seem to know very little.

Lets keep things civil here, McLoughlin. No need to resort to insults just because you don't agree with something (or someone).

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Dallas-Metcalfe-Gonzalo-1029120.aspx

Jesse Metcalfe and Julie Gonzalo have joined the cast of TNT's Dallas reboot, Deadline reports.
    Metcalfe, 32, will play Bobby (Patrick Duffy) and Pam Ewing's adopted son, Christopher. Gonzalo will play Christopher's fiancée, Rebecca. From Cane creator Cynthia Cidre, the new Dallas focuses on the sons of rivals and brothers J.R. and Bobby Ewing. John Ross, the son of J.R. (Larry Hagman), and Christopher clash over the future of their family dynasty. Both are in love with Elena.
    Josh Henderson, a Desperate Housewives alum like Metcalfe, has already been cast as John Ross. Jordana Brewster will play Elena.
    Original Dallas stars Duffy, Hagman and Linda Gray will reprise their roles.

Julie Gonzalo is very hot, so a good addition......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

Is Cliff Barnes coming back? Last I heard the actor who played him was in prison for DUI.

Barnes-you always were dumb!

Don't think so, but he is 86 now.

Charlene Tilton and Steve Kanaly have signed up to appear in the pilot of TNT's Dallas reboot.

The project, which was first announced in September, is expected to focus on the rivalry between the Ewing brothers.

TV Guide says that original cast members Tilton and Kanaly have now agreed to reprise their roles as Lucy Ewing and Ray Krebbs in the pilot.

They will join Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray and JR Ewing, who have already signed up to return.

Tilton had previously admitted that she wanted a role in the show, describing the script for the pilot as "absolutely wonderful".

http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/news/a315594/two-more-dallas-stars-join-tnt-reboot.html

Thank god an article on Dallas that doesn't incorrectly mention reboot but correctly refers to it as "TNT’s continuation of the Ewing saga"

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Charlene Tilton and Steve Kanaly have signed up to appear in the pilot of TNT's Dallas reboot.

The project, which was first announced in September, is expected to focus on the rivalry between the Ewing brothers.

TV Guide says that original cast members Tilton and Kanaly have now agreed to reprise their roles as Lucy Ewing and Ray Krebbs in the pilot.

They will join Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray and JR Ewing, who have already signed up to return.

Tilton had previously admitted that she wanted a role in the show, describing the script for the pilot as "absolutely wonderful".

http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/news/a315594/two-more-dallas-stars-join-tnt-reboot.html

I hope the returness are not lumped in once episode but are spread over the season.

• Advertisement

Cuban-born actress Marlene Forte, who had recurring roles on Crossing Jordan and House of Payne, has won the final series regular role on TNT's Dallas pilot. Marlene will play Carmen, the Ewing family's longtime housekeeper, whose daughter, Elena (Jordana Brewster), enjoys a friendship with Ewing cousins John Ross (Josh Henderson) and Christopher (Jesse Metcalfe). The cast is just now heading down to Dallas to begin shooting the pilot episode.

Though Carmen is described as having worked for the Ewing family for many years, Dallas loyalists may remember that the original Southfork maid was named Teresa, played by Roseanna Christiansen from 1982—91. With Elena set to mix it up with the Ewing boys, it is expected that Carmen will enjoy a much richer role than Teresa, whose main function was watering Miss Ellie's rhododendrons, serving huevos rancheros and routinely announcing to poor Sue Ellen than "Mr. Ewing will be working late tonight."

Taken from: TVGuide

Still life in the old dog: http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/news/a320620/dallas-reboot-still-under-consideration.html

TNT has confirmed that its reboot of Dallas could still be picked up to series.

The project was absent from the cable channel's official fall schedule, which was confirmed earlier this week.

However, a spokeswoman for the network has since announced that TNT executives will make a final decision on the show's future in the next few weeks, after viewing the completed pilot episode.

The show, which will feature original Dallas stars Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray and Larry Hagman, is not expected to premiere before 2012 if it receives a full series commission.

Brenda Strong, Jesse Metcalfe, Julie Gonzalo, Josh Henderson and Jordana Brewster will also appear in the reboot.

Filming on the pilot episode, which took place at Southfork Ranch in Collin County, Texas, wrapped last Friday.

Cool :)

Nice to see the original theme intact too (no shitty dance beat or wanky electric guitar).

Anyone want to bet against JR being shot again during the first season? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I cant see Larry Hagman coming back to Dallas full time. He looked like death warmed up in his guest stint in Desperate Housewives. I reckon JR will die in the first few episodes and that will be the driving storyline. Who he left what to in his will and maybe the return of his other son (cant remember his name but he was in the last season)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

JR :D:D:D:D:D

Best character ever to be on TV anytime, anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ah when I saw the thread title had spoilers and then watched the trailer how annoyed was I that it said summer 2012 at the end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Christ! Almost all of the full time cast have appeared in Desperate Housewives in one way or another. Very cheesy looking, talk about cardboardy... might be good for some lols when there's nothing else on, but I won't follow it religiously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement