Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got turned down for BTEA

• 09-09-2010 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭

I was offered a course in broadcast media that i could apply for the BTEA.

As it took 5 months for the social to sort out my JSB to JSA and then my BTEA i had to pay my own registration for the college course before i found out if i would get the BTEA i did this as i was told by the social that i would have no problem getting it.

I get a letter today that says i have been turned down becasue i have a qualification at a higher level. I do but its in Engineering which will be of no use to me for the next 5 to 10 years in this country. So wanted to retrain like the goverment have been telling me is the best option.

Now i have to drop out of the course that starts Monday, i will loose the registration that i cant afford and have to sit on the dole for the next 12 months stratching my ass.

They say i cant appeal this decision either so where do i stand ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Appeal your case to the Ombudsman. The Social, as you call them, cannot prevent you from doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I was offered a course in broadcast media that i could apply for the BTEA.

As it took 5 months for the social to sort out my JSB to JSA and then my BTEA i had to pay my own registration for the college course before i found out if i would get the BTEA i did this as i was told by the social that i would have no problem getting it.

I get a letter today that says i have been turned down becasue i have a qualification at a higher level. I do but its in Engineering which will be of no use to me for the next 5 to 10 years in this country. So wanted to retrain like the goverment have been telling me is the best option.

Now i have to drop out of the course that starts Monday, i will loose the registration that i cant afford and have to sit on the dole for the next 12 months stratching my ass.

They say i cant appeal this decision either so where do i stand ?

Ask the college for the registration fee back

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

I've also just been turned down for the BTEA after being given wrong information on my entitlement in early July. I have already registered with the college and am due to start on Monday.

The lady in my local office seems to think I have grounds for appeal due to the fact the information I was given is in written form. Im not so sure.
    Has anyone ever had success appealing a decision like this?

I dont know what to do as I was looking forward to the course and would like to pursue it if there was a chance of my appeal working. However I dont thinkI could afford to go ahead without it as part time jobs are scarce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

appeal it - you've nothing really to lose by appealing it

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

You can't appeal a BTEA decision. However you can ask for another officer in your office to have a look at the case again.

Howeverthe rules are pretty clear. If you have a qualification already and the course you wish to do is of an equal or lower standard you will be disallowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

cAr0l wrote: »
    You can't appeal a BTEA decision. However you can ask for another officer in your office to have a look at the case again.

Howeverthe rules are pretty clear. If you have a qualification already and the course you wish to do is of an equal or lower standard you will be disallowed.

but they told us in construction to retrain in a different field.

How can you retrain without starting at the bottom ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

8. Can I appeal against a decision?

The Back to Education Allowance is a non-statutory scheme and, as such, if you disagree with a decision on your application you do not have a right to appeal to the Social Welfare Appeals Office.

However, you can request (in writing) a review of your case by the officer in charge of the relevant local Social Welfare Office or section, enclosing any new evidence in support of your request for a review.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/ABacktoEducationAllowanceBTEA.aspx

The fact that you were given misleading info should count for something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

So i cant get the BTEA because of my previous qualification, nor can i get the VEC grant as it says the same thing. So basically there is no help what so ever to help me go back to college and retrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dublinfolk

anndub wrote: »
    I've also just been turned down for the BTEA after being given wrong information on my entitlement in early July. I have already registered with the college and am due to start on Monday.

The lady in my local office seems to think I have grounds for appeal due to the fact the information I was given is in written form. Im not so sure.

I dont know what to do as I was looking forward to the course and would like to pursue it if there was a chance of my appeal working. However I dont thinkI could afford to go ahead without it as part time jobs are scarce.

Same thing happened to me today in the Finglas Social, Last may they told me to apply for it because I'm eligible & to submit the form in sept , I never raised the issue , so I was pretty chuffed when she said it , I again asked about it last month to make sure & again I was told I was eligible, so come sept I got the paperwork from my college & filled in the form .I went up to the social with the forms & was told there & then that I was not eligible , I told her bout the past two occasions that I was told I was eligible but she basically said NO CHANCE .

I'm now going into 3rd year screwed financially , All because the people in the social don't know there job , If that lady in may never raised the issue I would have been ok

Anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭vanla sighs

anndub wrote: »

Happened me a few years ago. I was starting uni and was refused BTEA, had already took a bank loan out and paid my registration. Wrote a letter, not an email, an actual letter (barely remember what they look like anymore) to Bertie and the boys and it was sorted. I told him that once he had assaulted me but I hadn't pursued him over it and now was pay back time. It was true he assaulted me though, punched me in the back when I said to a friend of mine I didn't like FF when he was a meet and greet the plebs walkabout with guess who, Willy Wonka O'Deary Me. Yep.

But it was a playful punch having said that - assault nonetheless ;)

OP: If you already hold a qualification at a higher level you can't get any financial help if you opt to do a course at a lower level or at the same level. Sorry about that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement