Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Happening?

Options
  • 09-09-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

I see works going on on Campus - there are diggers and lorries about - does anyone know whats going on??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

dlambirl wrote: »
    I see works going on on Campus - there are diggers and lorries about - does anyone know whats going on??

I think they are building a new bus stop, as well as student centre, the new law building is also being built afaik:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Swimming pool down at the sports centre being built, think there are renovations going on at the architecture/new civil eng building too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Where have you been? UCD probably has more builders working on it than in the rest of Ireland. Theres the new student res over at Roebuck, the Sutherland School of Law beside Quinn and the new Student Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

It's pretty obvious what those things are. The OP might be asking about the digging up of the road between the virus centre and the N11 (parallel to the N11).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Oh I know there is numerous works doing on in UCD at any one time but they seem to be digging up the road and greens, there are a couple of diggers and lorrys - just wondering did anyone know what this was for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

dlambirl wrote: »
    Oh I know there is numerous works doing on in UCD at any one time but they seem to be digging up the road and greens, there are a couple of diggers and lorrys - just wondering did anyone know what this was for?

It's all a cover-up, UCD is using Mormons to build a chemical weapons plant disguised ingeniously as a bus stop, new school of law, new student centre and swimming pool. The bastards.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

They're probably doing it for the thrill of being an obstruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

They're also refurbishing the Science blocks in phases. The Chemistry block currently looks like a chemical reaction got way out of hand. :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

There's gonna be a whole new science block, theyre doing it in stages. Theres gonna be a cinema in the new student centre sometime next year...gonna be savage

Isn't it amazing how they're spending millions on absolute shite, a cinema ffs. I'd put the money into buying an; AMS, CF-IRMS, paying for more journal subscriptions, cheaper colour printing, longer library opening hours and setting up a proper Schols system. But of course a new student centre is a much more pressing issue...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭deereidy

El Siglo wrote: »
    Isn't it amazing how they're spending millions on absolute shite, a cinema ffs. I'd put the money into buying an; AMS, CF-IRMS, paying for more journal subscriptions, cheaper colour printing, longer library opening hours and setting up a proper Schols system. But of course a new student centre is a much more pressing issue...:rolleyes:
    they're building a cinema? please tell me you're joking. My fees are 1800 this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 n7sen

I really dislike what they have done with UCD, especially the enclosed area near CSBC and science hub. That was my and other people's shortcut to the rest of the uni. As for new students centre, I and people I know rarely use the current one. Same goes for sports centre.

Yeah theyre building a cinema, A 50m pool, theatre and other things.

Better library hours would be an obvious improvement.

deereidy wrote: »
    they're building a cinema? please tell me you're joking. My fees are 1800 this year.

Oh yeh, and bollocks-face Redmond okayed the student health service charge as well last year.

It's amazing how basic things like books or journal access are becoming more restricted or harder to get, yet it's acceptable to spend money on a new swimming pool and cinema. Because I can write a thesis on the back stroke while watching Twil-shite...

I'm just lucky I have a medical card.

€40 is just stupid when it was free. And a new swimming pool? Improve on what is there, not what isn't.

On a lighter note, today was my first full day, and I found the secret lakes. Record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

YouthNovel wrote: »

On a lighter note, today was my first full day, and I found the secret lakes. Record?

You're a new student, you should be looking for more important things ffs, like the location of Pat Patterson:)

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

A cinema? A swimming pool?

Who the **** comes up with these and how do I get them to stop?

Why your SU of course. But if you have a problem with it, just go to the SU

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Tbh, I don't disagree with the construction of a cinema, but surely they could have given some company that contract? Are 7000 (roughly that many on res right?) lazy college students, who can't afford to drink every night, not a decent prospect for any cinema?

Like its not like we need SU shops, we have centra. Why can't the exact same apply to a cinema.

• Advertisement

YouthNovel wrote:
    Who?

Fuckin' hell!:pac:

You're too young to know but for some of us here he's an urban legend (think Chuck Norris' Irish father).

Pat Patterson is really one of those ideas that's dying out, sad in its own way.
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Tbh, I don't disagree with the construction of a cinema, but surely they could have given some company that contract? Are 7000 (roughly that many on res right?) lazy college students, who can't afford to drink every night, not a decent prospect for any cinema?

Not when you have Dundrum. Close by, pretty good and student discount as well.
    Like its not like we need SU shops, we have centra. Why can't the exact same apply to a cinema.

SU shops are subsidised and sell nice cheap coffee (under the library anyway). Centra does nice chicken rolls and Wally's hut but I wouldn't do my weekly shop in it.

You reckon Il Sligo?

Like you might be right, but I don't think one of my mates living on campus went to DD last year. I can see a lot of them hitting cinema once a week if it was on campus. Of course it would be dead 4 months of the year....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

A substantial chunk of your increased registration fee is going into this building work.

You won't be around you used said buildings, however.

errlloyd wrote: »
    You reckon Il Sligo?

Like you might be right, but I don't think one of my mates living on campus went to DD last year. I can see a lot of them hitting cinema once a week if it was on campus. Of course it would be dead 4 months of the year....

You just answered your own question there. Empty 4 months of the year, who takes the hit for that? Because it's not going to be the sabbats or the Brady bunch anyway.
    There isn't enough funding available for PhD students and post docs, and these are the people that run lab demonstrations, tutorials etc... the kind of things that allows courses to be run. Yet, there's money available to not only build a cinema but keep it running.
    At the moment and back when I started (’06) there was a serious issue of courses, subjects and modules being cancelled (i.e. Canadian studies etc...) now with the current budget cuts and the ones due in December and with the deficit UCD is running at, would it not be more prudent to spend the money elsewhere? There is a serious risk of certain modules disappearing, I know in Trinity they aren’t any Geology PhD students starting this year that means there won’t be certain people available for demonstration work, that means a module or two might have to be cancelled. When the money is cut from this one small example such as PhD funding, it impacts undergraduates much worse than not having a cinema or swimming pool.
    I mean, we’re hearing all the time about “knowledge economy” and all that tripe, yet nobody wants to put their money where their mouth is. And then white elephants like a cinema or swimming or tunnel under Leinster House come along, it flies in the face of common sense.

Oh sorry Sligo. I was actually suggesting I thought it would be good for someone else to do, cineworld have released multiple press statements regarding their interest in Ireland. I think it would be profitable. I don't agree with the SU building one...

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Cinema & Swimming pool are the type of amenities which look good on paper, the paper which gets sent abroad to attract non-EU students, who pay full whack fees. These are the students UCD wants to attract for the extra cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

Swimming pool is fine with me. UCD is a huge college and it's not like they're wasting money on something that student's wouldn't use. I'd totally would love to jump into swimming pool for an hour or so when I have 3 hours gaps between lectures :). But cinema? Dundrum has a good cinema, there's a cinema in Blackrock, Cineworld finally. Total waste of money imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Lucet wrote: »
    Swimming pool is fine with me. UCD is a huge college and it's not like they're wasting money on something that student's wouldn't use. I'd totally would love to jump into swimming pool for an hour or so when I have 3 hours gaps between lectures :). But cinema? Dundrum has a good cinema, there's a cinema in Blackrock, Cineworld finally. Total waste of money imo

Sorry to correct you but there isn't a cinema in Blackrock. There is cinema's in Stillorgan and Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Although these are SU owned facilities they aren't really. The college authorities were involved in the contracting of a managment company for the pool. I think a pool is very important for the sport in Ireland as the biggest university we should have the best sports facilities.

I dont know much about this cinema but I think people are presuming it will be something like movies at dundrum. I would guess it will be a single screen fit for about 300 persons which may well allow the growth of film studies in the university and perhaps may not even show current mainstream films.

10% of our fees goes towards this for undergrads. There are far more frivilous ideas in the gateway project than the new student centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

El Siglo wrote: »

Yale could use an international airport

Advertisement