Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Happening?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Dunno if you guys have seen this yet but thought it would be of interest to this thread. Supposedly what the science block will look like after all the building is done. Just annoyed I won't be around to see it lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzAtCLBKaxQ&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Joneser wrote: »
    Dunno if you guys have seen this yet but thought it would be of interest to this thread. Supposedly what the science block will look like after all the building is done. Just annoyed I won't be around to see it lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzAtCLBKaxQ&feature=player_embedded

if you wait till the end of the video, when it zooms out fully, pause it. And admire how ridiculous that design is...... WHY IS THERE GRASS OVER THE N11 BRIDGE >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Fad wrote: »
    if you wait till the end of the video, when it zooms out fully, pause it. And admire how ridiculous that design is...... WHY IS THERE GRASS OVER THE N11 BRIDGE >_<
    To make it seem "green", of course. It's called "greenwashing". But they'd be using concrete, so it could never be truly "green", not if you see how they make cement.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Fad wrote: »

Cuz its part of the UCD Gateway project
    http://www.ucd.ie/gatewayproject/index.htm

You might note that that website hasn't been updated since 2008/2009 - and I hope it stays that way. I actually think that the New Student Centre will really add to the campus, but the Gateway.... its a monster! And it will make life unbearable for anybody on campus during its construction.

image2.jpg

But hey - there'snot much construction on campus at the moment:
    • Just cross the flyover (which is being pulled apart at the moment).
    • You'll see some JCBs digging some holes for pipes out the front
    • Front carpark being pulled apart as well
    • And the No.10 bus route is diverted because of some bits of roadwork near Quinn
    • Actually the whole road near Quinn is under heavy construction along with the carpark at St. Stephens.
    • Take a trip past Glenomena and you will see the National Institute of BioTechnology which is nearing completion.
    • Take a trip from there to Merville (which I assure you will be difficult) and you can see the not yet completed car-park near Quinn.
    • Wander down to the Arts Block, which looks serine, but is under significant renovation (basement is impassible).
    • And then the science block - don't bother trying to get in the front door - or the whole of the first block. Besides which, even if you managed that the bridge behind is gone.
    • And there's another science block being built at the side
    • Behind that there is a new building (on skin science?) being established near Life Sciences.
    • And then there's the New Student Centre...

Is it fair to say that the campus is in the process of being built?

OH, I forgot about Roebuck Hall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Is it just me or is there a lack of car parks in that picture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Does it say when the gateway project is supposed to be completed? I'm expecting it to take about 20 years to get it like it is in that picture with the current rate of work.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

What exactly were they doing at the front of the restaurant building at the end of last semester? I was also in the Arts block a few times over the summer, it looked like they were getting new lights etc put in? Trivial compared to the rest of campus I suppose but I'm still curious :P

I'm actually really looking forward to a swimming pool - it's one of the few things that actually make sense in the proposed developments (not that I'll likely see the benefit of it myself before I graduate). Of course there are the Science students who are obviously due their new building! It sure seems that life will be cramped around campus for the next two years though. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

What exactly were they doing at the front of the restaurant building at the end of last semester? I was also in the Arts block a few times over the summer, it looked like they were getting new lights etc put in? Trivial compared to the rest of campus I suppose but I'm still curious :P

I'm actually really looking forward to a swimming pool - it's one of the few things that actually make sense in the proposed developments (not that I'll likely see the benefit of it myself before I graduate). Of course there are the Science students who are obviously due their new building! It sure seems that life will be cramped around campus for the next two years though. :/

They knocked down the little external entrance that was never used.

In the Arts Block they demolished the ceiling and raised it and knocked down a couple of external walls to make new windows (no more nuclear bunker look!).

According to those in the know they are building a new lecture theatre downstairs.

I think they also renovated theatre P... but didn't notice any discernible difference when I looked inside it the other day.

So yeah... nothing much :P

Edit: It think they also pulled apart the lavatories in the basement. They did have something of a 1950s look about them all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The lighting in Theatre P is was redone and I think there was a load of asbestos in some of those ceilings which was removed

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

vetstu wrote: »
    Is it just me or is there a lack of car parks in that picture?

There's a ramp to an underground one on the left of the pic (:
    It think they also pulled apart the lavatories in the basement. They did have something of a 1950s look about them all right.

Nope, exactly the same :P

For anyone who hasn't seen it, this is the road realignment works going on near the 10 stop as part of enabling works for the new Sutherland School of Law (:

sutherland_notice%20of%20works_image.jpg

image_car_park_changes_large.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement