Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

something messing garden cat or dog

Options
  • 09-09-2010 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

My house is surrounded by a 6 foot fence and yet i keep finding something like dog dirt in my garden. I see cats around but dogs could not get in the six inch space under the gate.

Today it looks white. Does cats dirt go white? Could it be cats with big dirt like dogs? How long does it take to go white? i checked yesterday and it was not there? could a small dog get under a 6 inch gap?They may be being left out at night?

i googled all about keeping dogs/cats out. It does not work. any ideas that do?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Fox?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It could be either tbh or a fox. What kind of consistency does it have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Its probably a fox.
    My dad has a similar height wall, 5ft inside but 7ft or more other side, for some time he thought cats were digging in his garden, but one morning found a young fox trying to climb out.
    Cats bury their waste and a dog wouldn't scale a 6ft wall just to poop in your garden.

6inch gap under the gate could be enough for a smaller dog to get in alright, never seen white dog or cat poop from my animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

as said already probably a fox, fox crap is normaly black at first then turns white, crap turns white from eating bone, dog crap used to turn white but they stopped putting bonemeal in dog food years ago (enough talking crap)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭SparrowTown

mymo wrote: »
    Its probably a fox.
    My dad has a similar height wall, 5ft inside but 7ft or more other side, for some time he thought cats were digging in his garden, but one morning found a young fox trying to climb out.
    Cats bury their waste and a dog wouldn't scale a 6ft wall just to poop in your garden.

6inch gap under the gate could be enough for a smaller dog to get in alright, never seen white dog or cat poop from my animals.
    cats do not always bury it. How big a dog could get in there. i do not know about dogs

• Advertisement

How big a dog could get in there. i do not know about dogs
    Most small to medium sized dogs could get in under a 6-inch gap, but they don't usually bother unless there's something for them - food or whatever. 6 inches is probably about the limit though - if it's much smaller than that most dogs won't get in unless the fence is flexible - chain link or whatever.

The consistency of the poo is important - dogs tend to do brown or yellow big lumps or long "strands" (much like human waste), cats tend to do small lumps about the width of your finger, and foxes tend to have very dark, tar-like waste.

Actually here's a link - says that eating berries tends to cause fox poo to go white after a while:
    http://www.bigcatsinbritain.org/thefox.htm

So I'd say you have a fox on your hands. They usually come in to scavenge your rubbish or eat insects and rodents from your shrubbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Noopti wrote: »
    Fox?

most likely a little hedge hogtheir droppings look like that of a very small dogthey are your friendgo out late at night and you will hear them run awaythey will eat snails and slugs and keep your plants safei see their droppings in my lawn in morningsthey will eat any meat you have left over to fatten them up for winter and hibernation,put some out near where you see this droppings and just watch them enjoy itthey are fab little animals

seamus wrote: »
    Most small to medium sized dogs could get in under a 6-inch gap, but they don't usually bother unless there's something for them - food or whatever. 6 inches is probably about the limit though - if it's much smaller than that most dogs won't get in unless the fence is flexible - chain link or whatever.

The consistency of the poo is important - dogs tend to do brown or yellow big lumps or long "strands" (much like human waste), cats tend to do small lumps about the width of your finger, and foxes tend to have very dark, tar-like waste.

Actually here's a link - says that eating berries tends to cause fox poo to go white after a while:
    http://www.bigcatsinbritain.org/thefox.htm

So I'd say you have a fox on your hands. They usually come in to scavenge your rubbish or eat insects and rodents from your shrubbery.
    Thanks.would a fox get under a 6 inch space?And would a fox be in a town estate, well sort of outsde town, some fields around but mostly developed land though

goat2 wrote: »
    most likely a little hedge hogtheir droppings look like that of a very small dogthey are your friendgo out late at night and you will hear them run awaythey will eat snails and slugs and keep your plants safei see their droppings in my lawn in morningsthey will eat any meat you have left over to fatten them up for winter and hibernation,put some out near where you see this droppings and just watch them enjoy itthey are fab little animals
    don't think so too big not like this

Thanks.would a fox get under a 6 inch space?And would a fox be in a town estate, well sort of outsde town, some fields around but mostly developed land though
    Absolutely and absolutely. Urban foxes are rampant - they feed on rodents, which love to gather around human settlements and they also feed on rubbish left behind by people. Suburban areas in particular can maintain a much denser population of wild foxes than rural areas because they have plenty of green space, trees, ditches, forests and abundant food sources provided by humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Neighbour throwing it over the fence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Neighbour throwing it over the fence?

looked at photoand they look like a hedgehog did itas i have seen the hedgehogs droppings near where i feed them

Advertisement