Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Button on Ipod touch is broken

Options
  • 09-09-2010 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

hey folks, any suggestions for a solution to this problem??
    i have a first generation ipod touch with OS 3.1.3.
    problem is yesterday the home button has stopped working, the rest of the ipod works grand but it is frustrating as i cannot leave any application without having to turn off the ipod and turn it back on again.
    ipod is a couple of years old so i assume its out of warranty, any idea who could fix this and how much it would cost??or is there any way around using the home button?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Mdawg wrote: »
    hey folks, any suggestions for a solution to this problem??
    i have a first generation ipod touch with OS 3.1.3.
    problem is yesterday the home button has stopped working, the rest of the ipod works grand but it is frustrating as i cannot leave any application without having to turn off the ipod and turn it back on again.
    ipod is a couple of years old so i assume its out of warranty, any idea who could fix this and how much it would cost??or is there any way around using the home button?

Have you tried rebooting it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mdawg

how do i reboot it without the home button??
    i have read on some websites that it could be a problem with the hardware not the software.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

I would guess it's a hardware issue, as it's not the first time I have come across this on iDevices. The last time I replaced my 3Gs, the home button was fooked out of the box. It would work very intermittently. I took it back to the store the same day, and they said they had a small number of iDevices returned with the same issue, and that they believed it was HW.

if its a hardware problem is there anything i can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

if its jailbroken and you just want to use if for the time being, you could set an activator toggle to mimic the home button. I know its only a temp solution, but will defo work.

• Advertisement

no its not jailbroken, should i do this?
    i read somewhere that there is a ihome app from cydia that can replace the home button, but im not much of a techie so i dont know anything about jailbreaking my itouch and the pros and cons of doing so.

OK, I dont have the time to explain a full jailbreak to you

but if you want help post you firmware version here
    goto setting -> general -> about

it should be something like 3.1.2 or 4.0.1

it could even be 1.1.2 depending on how long ago you bought it.

it says the version is 3.1.3 (7E18)

ok, on the iphones browser goto
    jailbreakme.com

slide to jailbreak

in cydia on the home screen install activator

goto setting->activator->anywhere->Down, Up(under volume buttons)

then scroll down to and select home button

now when you need to press the home button, you can press down followed by up on the volume control buttons.

there are no volume up/down buttons on my ipod, i have a 1st gen ipod touch, the volume controls on the side came on the 2nd gen itouch.
    any other suggestions anyone??

• Advertisement
Advertisement