Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfield Bike Shop/Repairs

Options
  • 09-09-2010 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if this crowd are good value, or whether I would be better taking my bike to a regular bike repair store?

[it's a vintage triumph, and i think it just needs a basic fixing up... definitely one brake, maybe new tyres, chain oiling etc...really i want to ask them what they think it needs and just don't want to be ripped off]

and do they sell decent locks, or again, are good locks cheaper elsewhere?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It really isn't a great bike sho.... Rather overpriced.

If you want a decent bike shop go too Staggs in Lucan :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BG2

I would take your money elsewhere. Bought a bike from them, as did my housemate, that I've since spent as much money repairing. I had to take it for a major looking at 6 months after I bought it but they still felt I should pay full bill! I got on it after picking it up after they "repaired" it only to nearly come crashing down on the N11 - they hadn't tightened the handlebars...

I want to say something else about them but I don't want to get moderated so I wont but basically I can't stress enough not to take your custom there.

Recently found a bike shop not too far from where I live. They looked at my bike, cost a good bit to sort it out but its cycling amazingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

BG2 wrote: »
    I would take your money elsewhere. Bought a bike from them, as did my housemate, that I've since spent as much money repairing. I had to take it for a major looking at 6 months after I bought it but they still felt I should pay full bill! I got on it after picking it up after they "repaired" it only to nearly come crashing down on the N11 - they hadn't tightened the handlebars...

I want to say something else about them but I don't want to get moderated so I wont but basically I can't stress enough not to take your custom there.

Recently found a bike shop not too far from where I live. They looked at my bike, cost a good bit to sort it out but its cycling amazingly.

Had problems with one of their bikes too, the saddle, brakes and pedals all went wrong within a few weeks. They seem to rely on students being too lazy to leave Belfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tony smit

all i can say is you buy cheap you buy twice!
    bougth a cheap bike from there didn;t last me for long, but they dont manufacture bikes, they just sell them!
    lately bought a decent hybrid there, never had a problem with it, apart from a major buckle on the front wheel after hitting a pot hole really bad, the bike was 3 month old at the time, warranty doesnt cover those kidna of damage however the guys there were nice and did it free of charge for me considering i bought the bike there and boughta good few accesories...
    very friendly staff, helpfull and that actually dont try to sell you stuff you dont need, there of good advice, and manage to get repairs done within a working day!!!!
    cant agree with all the other comments as the guys who work seem to be proper mechanics who rides bikes, not jsut sales man,
    the only down point would be that the shop close at two on saturdays :(

if your looking for a nice and friendluy local bike shop with competitve prices, just pop right in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

tony smit wrote: »
    all i can say is you buy cheap you buy twice!
    bougth a cheap bike from there didn;t last me for long, but they dont manufacture bikes, they just sell them!
    lately bought a decent hybrid there, never had a problem with it, apart from a major buckle on the front wheel after hitting a pot hole really bad, the bike was 3 month old at the time, warranty doesnt cover those kidna of damage however the guys there were nice and did it free of charge for me considering i bought the bike there and boughta good few accesories...
    very friendly staff, helpfull and that actually dont try to sell you stuff you dont need, there of good advice, and manage to get repairs done within a working day!!!!
    cant agree with all the other comments as the guys who work seem to be proper mechanics who rides bikes, not jsut sales man,
    the only down point would be that the shop close at two on saturdays :(

if your looking for a nice and friendluy local bike shop with competitve prices, just pop right in!

Tony, do you work for the bike shop? Because you dug up two old threads just to say how good it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tony smit

na i wish, i m all but a bike mechanic:P
    was just surprised to see how old the posts were, and tought id update them with my views :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I never have problems with the bikes I got from there. Friendly staff, and quick to fix a problem with the bike. If it is only a small problem that has been diagnosed they will do it for free.

There is a bike shop in Dundrum and I would not recommend going there in case people want to shop around. Overpriced and unhelpful. My experience was with a friend who got a bike there, within a week they were back in the shop. The shop were so unhelpful, saying they would need to take the bike in without even looking at it. It was a useless bike to begin with, and very expensive. I was annoyed at my friend for buying such a shoddy bike but they were sold it in a rather cowboy-like sales pitch.

Advertisement