Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat caught rat - need I be worried?

Options
  • 09-09-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,
    Our 9 month old cat brought a rat into us overnight, don't know if he killed the rat or found it dead but he presented it to us anyway! No sign of injury on the rat but it's quite large so I doubt if he killed it himself.

Anyway, my concern is whether I need to clean the cat and/or be careful handling him for a few days given that rats could be carrying all kinds of germs? My wife is freaked and I need to reassure her!

Cheers,
    bobjim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

He's probably just learning to hunt, you'd be surprised how big the prey can be(my sister in law had a 3 legged cat who brought home rabbits).
    I wouldn't be overly worried about germs on the cat, I would be careful of disposing the evidence(I use rubber gloves), and clean the area well.
    Put a bell on his collar it may stop him hunting as much, keep him in a dawn and dusk as these are times they seem to catch most stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please don't worry.

Good for him!

One of ours killed a large and aggressive rat that had been living in the roof space a long while.. There was blood everywhere....

We cleaned up the flloor with bleach is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I wouldn't really worry too much. My cats used to always catch rats, but I couldn't go around cleaning them all the time.

I agree just don't touch the rat, wear gloves, and clean the floor where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

My dog catches rats and like the others say I wouldn't worry too much. Having said that I dont let mine lick me for a few hours after because I remember what was last in their mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 imnu

So long as the rat had not been poisoned then I wouldn't worry too much. Even then the amount of blood consumed with anticoagulants in it would need to be pretty high

• Advertisement
Advertisement