Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Budget Road Bike Help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

What is going on with that Coyote? It looks like a MTB with some road bits on it.

I am sure you have heard this before, stay away. 380gbp is 460eur, or there abouts. Go the extra 90 and get a entry level trek or giant, you will be much happier in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Or at that price go second hand. You might be able to pick up a second hand entry level Giant/Trek at the money that will be in reasonable shape. That will be better than anything new at that price point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Go second hand. Example.

A five-year-old bike with quality components will serve you better than a new bike with ****e components, especially as you intend to compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Don't buy any booze for a few months and buy cheaper brand foods. That should give you a couple extra hundred to add to the budget. Unless you live with your folks and they already pay for all that stuff anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Don't forget that the bike-to-work scheme effectively doubles your budget. So you are actually looking at bikes in the €750-€800 range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Remember when you were young and you would put away pocket money for months to buy something expensive, like a nintendo game? It was always worth it and you were glad you didn't waste money on a budget copy of pong for your aging amiga.

It's the same here. Build up your budget a little longer and buy something nice that you can actually enjoy, rather than something that just looks like a bike.

Btw, Pong is a good game, don't get me wrong, but when you wanted Zelda there was no comparison.

EDIT: Borrow another bike if you can and keep saving, don't spend 350 euro for one competition in a few weeks. If you are only buying a bike now I would question your seriousness. If this is the case, just borrow any bike, do the thing and then plan properly for the next one with a good bike that you can train with and work on your position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Oldlegs wrote: »
    Don't forget that the bike-to-work scheme effectively doubles your budget. So you are actually looking at bikes in the €750-€800 range.

only if your on higher rate tax and your company does it / can afford it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 redsok

Cheers lads! Decided to visit the local bike shop and he had all the bikes you mentioned, plus the nasty cheap ones I saw on the net. The coyote big sur is like a tank and weighs as much, the Viking is similar to it. Had a wander around and liked a mireda 901 http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/product.php/7421/0/merida_road_race_901_18 very light with (according to bike shop dude) a nice shimano set (?) anyhow we got chatting and when I told him what I did (teach) he says that the bike to work scheme extends to public sector, yeah I know my head is in the sand, never knew about the scheme, circular not sent to us! So between the jigs and the reels I think I need to avoid the impulse buy and beg, borrow (hopefully not steal!) a bike for the end of September and wait for my application for the bike scheme to go through. The mireda is 650 euros, which seems fair. Is this a good buy or should I venture to a Trek (just seems like a lot more cash and I am only a beginner!) Dirkvoodoo, loved the retro gamer analogy, afraid I was a c64 man myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

only if your on higher rate tax and your company does it / can afford it

Incidentally it saves your company Employers PRSI so its win/win for them pretty much.

redsok wrote: »
    Cheers lads! Decided to visit the local bike shop and he had all the bikes you mentioned, plus the nasty cheap ones I saw on the net. The coyote big sur is like a tank and weighs as much, the Viking is similar to it. Had a wander around and liked a mireda 901 http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/product.php/7421/0/merida_road_race_901_18 very light with (according to bike shop dude) a nice shimano set (?) anyhow we got chatting and when I told him what I did (teach) he says that the bike to work scheme extends to public sector, yeah I know my head is in the sand, never knew about the scheme, circular not sent to us! So between the jigs and the reels I think I need to avoid the impulse buy and beg, borrow (hopefully not steal!) a bike for the end of September and wait for my application for the bike scheme to go through. The mireda is 650 euros, which seems fair. Is this a good buy or should I venture to a Trek (just seems like a lot more cash and I am only a beginner!) Dirkvoodoo, loved the retro gamer analogy, afraid I was a c64 man myself!

Those Meridas are pretty good value as I recall, but I would go for something like one of these:

Giant Defy 4 - 600 euro

Specialized Allez - 670 euro

Cube Aerial - 800 euro

Not much between them and a Trek 1.2 (2200 and Sora are pretty similar, entry level shimano groupsets) but you do get a solid bike that will hold it's value reasonably well if you decide to sell it on (maybe lose around 200 euro after year 1).

Of course you could always do what was mentioned earlier and go second hand, saving your cycle-to-work incentive for a better bike should you choose to upgrade further down the line. Try and keep an eye out for second hand Defy 4s. They typically go for ~ 400 euro depending on condition, like this one here (sold, just an example).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Those Meridas are pretty good value as I recall, but I would go for something like one of these:

Giant Defy 4 - 600 euro

Specialized Allez - 670 euro

Cube Aerial - 800 euro

Not much between them and a Trek 1.2 (2200 and Sora are pretty similar, entry level shimano groupsets) but you do get a solid bike that will hold it's value reasonably well if you decide to sell it on (maybe lose around 200 euro after year 1).

Of course you could always do what was mentioned earlier and go second hand, saving your cycle-to-work incentive for a better bike should you choose to upgrade further down the line. Try and keep an eye out for second hand Defy 4s. They typically go for ~ 400 euro depending on condition, like this one here (sold, just an example).

+1 to the above.

I got myself a specialized allez 2 months ago and i love it, (although, i'm now already saving for the next bike)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭greenrocket

have to agree with the above, i picked up a second hand giant defy 3 in july, think its the 2009 model got it for 400. it was hardly ever used, so i would say keep your eyes open for a second hand one.

by the way i love this cycling lark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

i believe the cycle superstore offer an additional 10% discount for teachers. so that will be over 50% off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 redsok

Wow, thanks for all the responses! Well my head is totally wrecked as I went into a few shops and am more confused than ever! Right I have ridden a Giant Defy 4 (nice bike!), Trek 1.2 (nice but dear!) and a Merida 901-18 (nice, light but hard to get info on!) and can only read about specialized allez. Merida make bikes for specialized and own a chunk of their company. Of them all I am strangely drawn to the Merida bike as it appears to be the lightest (tested by the old hold a bike in each arm and weigh them up test) of them all and I liked the ride. The bike components seem to be very similar to the others. Since that is all I know and the price is in line with the others, and you all seem to agree on the big three, am I being foolish and naive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

mike12 wrote: »

Loving the way they say it has a 105 GS, but when you look at the spec its only the rear der thats 105! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

heres 2 merida reviews (not the one you specced butmight be of some use

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/road-903-27-32246
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/880-24-31955

i wouldnt get too hung up on trek specialized giant as thats what most shops have its what most people ride

If you like the Merida, get the Merida. I listed the 3 other bikes as the most popular examples in the entry road bracket. I myself would probably pick one over the Merida on looks (I like the spesh) but if you have ridden them and prefer the Merida based on your own tests, that is the best measure.

Advertisement