Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crèche/montessori

Options
  • 09-09-2010 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

We are looking at making an offer on a purpose built crèche which is listed at 35,000 and a 4 year 9 month lease but both are negioable. What should we go in at

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

as im an accountant, you should probably have a business plan put together and do alot of research instead of askin here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

You should probably also research the difference between a creche and a Montessori!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i think you would be crazy. there are loads closing on a daily basis and those that are open are struggling

my work involves dealing with creches

has it been used as a creche yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi Irish. Its a brand new build the reason were thinking about it is as it's pretty cheap to get into at the minute so good time to start a business in a way.

Loverman we know the difference hence the / in the title

Da GOAT wrote: »
    as im an accountant, you should probably have a business plan put together and do alot of research instead of askin here.

Is this not part of research no?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

blahblah06 wrote: »
    We are looking at making an offer on a purpose built crèche which is listed at 35,000 and a 4 year 9 month lease but both are negioable. What should we go in at

I live in a town where 2 of the 3 full-time creches have closed.
    The staff ratios crucify creches who take in babies.
    With so many people unemployed at present there's a ready supply of chilminders who'll undercut you for cash in hand to top up their dole.
    Crazy time to be considering opening a creche.
    Good luck anyway.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but that would suggest you don't know the difference.

Creches and Montessoris are totally different things. (I know this because I studied Montessori education for about two years).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Hi Irish. Its a brand new build the reason were thinking about it is as it's pretty cheap to get into at the minute so good time to start a business in a way.

trust me, starting a creche in this climate is not a good idea.

People are out of work and keeping their children at home.

You could apply to be included in the ECCE scheme and only offer 3 hour places and get €64.50 for each child

VERY LARGE BUT

i know of newly opened creches who only have 2 ECCE children which means the creche is earning €129 a week and that is if they are offering a 38 week service.

if they were operating a 50 week service they would be €48.50 a week, so you would be earning €97 a week.

Is this enough for you to run your creche and live ? is so, go for it.

Creches need a good reputation before they start making any kind of profit. people are reluctant to live their children with an unknown entity.

Do you know if the creche has been approved by the HSE ? have you seen the letter from them?

What happens if you buy this place, and the HSE turn up and say there is €10k worth of things to be changed?

you really have to do MAJOR research into this.

I would contact your local county childcare committee. they will be able to tell you straight away what kind of demand there is for children in area and what age range to gearing it towards.

if you tell me your area, i will get you the CCC's details

Jesus man. Were keeping our options open on which to use the place for a creche or montessori.

have pmed u irish. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The 4 year 9 month lease restricts your rights on extending the lease beyond that.

You can pay anything you want if the sums add up, but obviously with a recession on, paying less is an idea. Another possibility is seeking a rent-reduction for the first X years or a rent-free period for Y months or a contribution towards fit-out from the landlord. You might also consider a break clause (a get-out clause) for after say two years, but the landlord might not agree to it.

What is the tax / grants position?

It would be useful to have your solicitor go over the contract.
    I don't mean to be pedantic, but that would suggest you don't know the difference. Creches and Montessoris are totally different things. (I know this because I studied Montessori education for about two years).
    Surely the same building can be used as either? This is the Accommodation & Property, not the pre-school one.

So go sit on a step.

• Advertisement

Jesus man. Were keeping our options open on which to use the place for a creche or montessori.
    i wouldnt bother with the montessori as there is a huge creche been opened up in chapel farm

Your earlier posts suggest you think a creche and Montessori are the same thing, or at least, are equivalent.

If you proceed to open a creche and call it a Montessori, you will have a lot of parents asking for their money back.

I am trying to give you some helpful advice.

LoL it does not in anyway suggest there the same thing now if you have nothing else to say please stay out.

Thanks victor I shall defo need to talk to someone about tax etc.

The clauses you mention are a good idea to. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dingaling

To know if the price is ok you would have to say where the creche is and what size/capacity it has?

Advertisement