Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Saw Doctors sing for and talk to Boards.ie

Options
  • 09-09-2010 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Following on from this thread of member questions I finally got the chance to sit down with The Saw Doctors on Wednesday afternoon and listen to some of the tracks from their new album, The Further Adventures of the Saw Doctors, released September 17.

There were a LOT of requests in for the song you'd like to hear them sing and in the end the lads opted for "Red Cortina" and performed an acapella version of the song for us.

I got through as many questions as I could - I had far more "statements" than questions as it were - but still, I hope you enjoy.

The interview - with Davy (Carton) and Leo (Moran) - and song:

And the three songs - two from the new album : Goodbye Again and Songs and Stars and then the acapella Red Cortina.

And for those who want them seperately:

Songs and Stars - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az8JvmPEKEI
    Goodbye Again - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thH5rDjs0WI

and

Red Cortina - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtNTd3i5tvM

adventures_click.jpg

The band are over on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/sawdoctors

The new album released September 17th has 11 songs
    1. Takin' The Train
    2. Friday Town
    3. Someone Loves You
    4. Hazard
    5. Indian Summer
    6. Well Byes
    7. Be Yourself
    8. Last Call
    9. As the Light Fades
    10. Songs and Stars
    11. Goodbye Again

and the Saw Doctors play Temple House Festival this weekend, Navan Live on September 17, the Savoy in Cork on September 24 and Dublin's Olympia on the 25th. You can see the rest of their gigs here: http://www.sawdoctors.com/index.php?option=com_eventlist&Itemid=33

Thanks everyone for your questions and if you have any further comments, please do let me know. A HUGE thank you to Good Seed PR and to The Saw Doctors for their time and the opportunity.

Cheers

Darragh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,934 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Are they being interviewed at a bus stop?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Nahh, it was the smoking area of the Sugar Club in Dublin 2. We're all about the glamour here, y'know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭captainstacy

Great stuff Darragh.
    These guys just keep getting better and better. One day Irish people will open their ears and hear what these guys sing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭graceknowsstuff

Saw Doctors are truly class, an amazing live band! They're not appreciated enough.

C'mere, are they seriously on Twitter, 'cos I couldn't find it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

• Advertisement

Darragh wrote: »

Cheers! :)
    And for the great interview, really enjoyed it.

graceknowsstuff what were you searching for that you couldn't find their twitter page?

graceknowsstuff what were you searching for that you couldn't find their twitter page?

When you type in 'Saw Doctors', all that comes up (for me, anyway) is the list of tweets mentioning Saw Doctors, not their page. Which is unusual.

EDIT: Ah, all one word would have worked.

are you using the 'find people' feature on twitter or just searching for tweets?

^Well, I did both cos Find People wasn't working. My internet's fierce shlow.
    Anyway, got it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Excellent!

I love "Songs and Stairs" and it's about time "Goodbye Again" was recorded. Fantastic song so it is!

The album is going to be brilliant.

Well done lads. Doing Tuam proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Great interview

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone else burst out laughing at Leo's description of Irish fans' attitudes to punctuality? "Ah sure they won't show up 'til 10 o'clock" - I wonder was he at Guns 'n' Roses :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Got to admire the ethic these guys have. No bull**** or whinging about the s-hite treatment they get from the irish media, yet they still sell out any gig they play in Ireland.

I wouldn't listen to them regularly but being country boy i have somehow still the lyrics to a large amount of their catalogue in my head. I am also at an age where i can appreciate them for writing great pop songs that actually say something.

I also love the irish aspect of their songs, you can relate to them just a little bit more.

A band i think that won't be fully understood or appreciated until after their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Thanks for that. Good to see the lads again.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Battlejuice

Great interview Dara, well done for promoting the most underrated band on the island. Their longevity speaks for itself and their top songs will be remembered for decades yet. Looking forward to the new album next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

" most popular band out of ireland since u2.... "

westlife... boyszone Thin lizzy, off the top of me Crainium.

:rolleyes:

Pdfile wrote: »
    " most popular band out of ireland since u2.... "

westlife... boyszone Thin lizzy, off the top of me Crainium.

:rolleyes:

Westlife don't have a fanbase in America. Neither did Boyzone.

In terms of Europe, both of those bands would have a bigger fan base.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Got to admire the ethic these guys have. No bull**** or whinging about the s-hite treatment they get from the irish media, yet they still sell out any gig they play in Ireland.

I wouldn't listen to them regularly but being country boy i have somehow still the lyrics to a large amount of their catalogue in my head. I am also at an age where i can appreciate them for writing great pop songs that actually say something.

I also love the irish aspect of their songs, you can relate to them just a little bit more.

A band i think that won't be fully understood or appreciated until after their time.

Well Said

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Nice one getting the interview and on getting the acapella Red Cortina as well.

• Advertisement

They are signing copies of the new album in HMV, Grafton St on Saturday at Noon for anyone who wants to go along.

And are in HMV in Galway at 1pm tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭murty01

Just played the new album through once and have to say it's brilliant. D'ya know when ya listen to an album the first time and might flick throgh a song that ya don't instantly like well it didn't happen on this album. Every song a cracker. Songs of locality, love and the last calls. The saw doctors are back doing whta they do best , writing great songs about where life has taken them. Ya can compare them to all the greats that ya want, Dylan, Fogerty, Springsteen. The Sw Doctors are out there on their own and with time the Carton/Moran name tag will sit righttfully alongside Lennon/McCartney. The lyrics, the music and the production of this record are all absoltely spot on. The Docs are back to their best. I hope it gets them the recognition they deserve. We the culchies will always hold them dear but if the people of the Pale (including their radio station chiefs) could just listen to their music and not judge it as some more red-neck rock-a-billy then they've got a chance. I don't think the Docs care one way or the other. Their hearts are in the live shows where the music explodes in to an other life-form and reveals what the band are all about. Truly, truly great music. I saw them at Curragh Racecorse a few months back and it was some sight. Ya could actually feel the level of enthusiasm from the crowd rise. T'was some sensation. People were there not expecting what they were about to see and hear. After about 4 or 5 songs the music entwined them and took them along for the rest of the night and after the show was over ya just knew they were hooked just like the rest of us have been happily for the last 2 decades.
    Viva La saw Doctors.
    Buy the new album.

Advertisement