Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood for shed

• 09-09-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

building a shed in an awkward place in garden but wondering what type of wood i should use for sides , cant buy a standard one so gonna go about building one , somebody told me tongue and groove but need to know what to ask for in hardware .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

I presume you are talking about the exterior sheeting boards. i wouldnt use toungue and groove boards for it theyre more for flooring. there are boards made specially made for this purpose they are called "ship lap boards" and you can get them pressure treated. just make sure when you put them on you use galvanised nails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

+1 from above poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

cork2 wrote: »
    I presume you are talking about the exterior sheeting boards. i wouldnt use toungue and groove boards for it theyre more for flooring. there are boards made specially made for this purpose they are called "ship lap boards" and you can get them pressure treated. just make sure when you put them on you use galvanised nails.

+1
    maybe galvo'd decking screws.
    treat cut ends and use dust mask when cutting PT timber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Cork2 has it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Actually now that I think of it, you may have another option.About 10 years ago I knocked up an 8' x 4' treehouse for the kids, which for all the world, looks like a shed up on stilts.Anyway,I built the frame out of PT 2" x 2", and cladded and roofed it with 3/4" WBP plywood.(Roof was pitched and felted.)10 years on,with only two coats of Fencelife to colour it green more than for protection, it's as good as the day it was built.

• Advertisement
Advertisement