Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€10k to Spend

• 09-09-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi I have roughly €10k to spend and am looking for something fairly economical as I can end up driving over 600km a week so trying to keep petrol costs down. Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I'd buy one of these if i was spending 10k

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1543101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I'd like to jump on this band wagon, I have 10-12k of a budget. Been looking at Golfs and 159's primarily.

How much above my price range should I be looking to haggle down as I've seen some very nice models about the €13,900 mark, would it be wishful thinking to get that down to €12k or would a dealer take the hand and all off me if I went in with that kind of cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

Obviously it has to be a diesel because of the high mileage, i would go for something like this,

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A3/2.0-TDI-/201033199206590/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/GT/1.9-LUSS/201022198286664/advert?channel=CARS

Alfa GT :cool: - fun coupe. But 1.9JTD reliable and fuel efficient diesel

or

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Passat/1.9-TDI-/201023198320138/advert?channel=CARS

VW Passat :rolleyes: - boring family saloon. 1.9TDI engine hard to fault though.

So theres my two cents considering you've given us very little to go on.

One for fun the other for family.

ps

the GT has a back seat which believe it or not you can fit 3 adults in. Not hugely comfortably but if on the odd occasion is needed at least they're there eh.

ps ps.... I'm considering whether or not to sell my Alfa GT due to boring saloon reasons. PM if you want to find out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭nimbinsurfer

So theres my two cents considering you've given us very little to go on.
    Cheers for the replies I'm looking for something that's not really too boring maybe an Audi A4 1.9TDI something along those lines anyway

Sounds like you want an A4 then so.

But incase you dont maybe check out the Alfa 159 diesel or BMW 3 series diesel if its a decent looking diesel 4 door family saloon.

Mile munching whilst lookin :cool:

Not a big fan of the A4 too many about for my liking. I'd look at the 159 1st and then the BMW 3 series (theres loads of them but the newer models is a nice car).

OR maybe an X type Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

You cant get too much more boring than an A4 TDi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Accord diesel?

I know people look at the tax and say no but that's only a very small part of the ownership cost. €4 ish a week...

draffodx wrote: »
    You cant get too much more boring than an A4 TDi!

here here. imo ya may as well buy a passat instead. Same engine but more room and you'll get a better spec and lower miles done for your money.
    EPM wrote: »
    Accord diesel?

I know people look at the tax and say no but that's only a very small part of the ownership cost. €4 ish a week...

But what about the tax?!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

here here. imo ya may as well buy a passat instead. Same engine but more room and you'll get a better spec and lower miles done for your money.

But what about the tax?!! :D

c€850 V €614 for a 2 litre diesel.

€236/52 weeks = €SHOCK HORROR 4.54 a week...puts a whole new spin on things:D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Thinking of spending similar (or well maybe 10-12k)

Ford Focus 2008 1.8 TDCI bought in UK for 8,500. VRT'd for 2200. Annual tax is 156 euro under new CO2 regime. Gets about 700km to a tank.

Just my twopence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

I'd go for an A3 or passat before the A4

Dj wrote: »
    I'd go for an A3 or passat before the A4

god I hate the look of A3's it looks unfinished or something.

Seriously op just get the GT. Whether its mine if I do decide to sell or one of the ones shown. You wont look back. The imo car is still one of the most jaw droppingly gorgeous cars on the road today and the engine is superb.

150bhp so its really quick but a diesel so economical as well. Fantastic stuff..

Advertisement