Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I be sporting??

Options
  • 09-09-2010 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Myself and a friend started on xbox live late 2004, 2005. And as a rule, we are very very average. We just dont play games enough to be really really good.

But on the other hand, I LOVE winning. And im not proud to admit this, but I have done just about anything to win games in my time.

It started in Halo 2 and we have taken it to every game we play. We never ever CHEAT or HACK a game, basically im talking about using underhanded tactics not in the spirit of the game.

For example, corpsehumping reduces even the finest players to a vengeful angry individual who isnt playing his normal game as he desperately tries to get retribution.

In Halo 2 capture the flag, we would park a tank on the flag. If the attacking team killed us, moved the tank, killed us after we respawn, get the flag they would find the teleporter blocked by a warthog we wedged in there. Basically we compensated for a lack of aiming skills, by being underhanded.

In Halo 3 we used bubbleshields to shield us while we humped our victims, not for any tactical advantage. And not because we think its funny or cool. But because nothing throws a great player off their game more than when a player with OBVIOUS less skill, getting the better of them. Disrespecting them. Or out thinking them.

Trash talking, corpsehumping, camping. Anything we could LEGALLY do to win we did. And do! Dont get me wrong, if very entertaining and rewarding when you beat someone psychologically. Especially someone much better than you.

In MW2 we use the killcam to taunt unsuspecting snipers before we kill them, knowing that they will see the video and lose focus on winning the game, in their quest for revenge.

In red dead redemption i send guys a message through the dashboard so i can snipe them while they read it.

With Halo: Reach coming out, we are genuinely excited to try out our underhanded unsporting tactics on new levels, new players, and using new equipment.

But i dont know, as funny as it is, im getting tired of angry american kids(many of whom are in tears) leaving messages on my account! Is it time to play fair? Should we give up on underhanded tactics?

Should we be sporting????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

thank God you play on a console

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

You sound like a dick

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

DaceX wrote: »
    corpsehumping

Necrophilia is a crime

• Registered Users Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Tallon wrote: »
    You sound like a dick
    +1 nicely said tallon, a dick this user seems to be alright....;)

and yes necrophilia is a crime lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DaceX

Necrophilia is a crime

Apparently not on xbox live.... yet!

Bungie say they don't approve of the practice, but they introduced a physics model to it in halo 3......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Myself and a friend started on xbox live late 2004, 2005. And as a rule, we are very very average. We just dont play games enough to be really really good.

But on the other hand, I LOVE winning. And I have done just about anything to win games in my time.

It started in Halo 2 and we have taken it to every game we play. We never ever CHEAT or HACK a game, basically im talking about using underhanded tactics not in the spirit of the game.

For example, corpsehumping reduces even the finest players to a vengeful angry individual who isnt playing his normal game as he desperately tries to get retribution.

In Halo 2 capture the flag, we would park a tank on the flag. If the attacking team killed us, moved the flag, killed us after we respawn, get the flag they would find the teleporter blocked by a warthog we wedged in there. Basically we compensated for a lack of aiming skills, by being underhanded.

In Halo 3 we used bubbleshields to shield us while we humped our victims, not for any tactical advantage. And not because we think its funny or cool. But because nothing throws a great player off their game more than when a player with OBVIOUS less skill, getting the better of them. Disrespecting them. Or out thinking them.

Trash talking, corpsehumping, camping. Anything we could LEGALLY do to win we did. And do! Dong get me wrong, if very entertaining and rewarding when you beat someone psychologically. Especially someone much better than you.

In MW2 we use the killcam to taunt unsuspecting snipers before we kill them, knowing that they will see the video and lose focus on winning the game, in their quest for revenge.

In red dead redemption i send guys a message through the dashboard so i can snipe them while they read it.

With Halo: Reach coming out, we are genuinely excited to try out our underhanded unsporting tactics on new levels, new players, and using new equipment.

But i dont know, as funny as it is, im getting tired of angry american kids(many of whom are in tears) leaving messages on my account! Is it time to play fair? Should we give up on underhanded tactics?

Should we be sporting????
    should u be sporting?????

,methinks u should be put to sleep lol

should u be sporting?????

,methinks u should be put to sleep lol

Haha fair comment, but maybe a bit harsh for some online greifing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JayJay10

Hahaha!!! class! im actually dace's teammate online, and i quote "It doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile winnings winning" (Vin diesel Fast and the Furious) its that simple!

JayJay10 wrote: »
    Hahaha!!! class! im actually dace's teammate online, and i quote "It doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile winnings winning" (Vin diesel Fast and the Furious) if you dont like it tough!!

Some people quote Shakespear, Einstein, Aristotle, John Lennon, JFK?? But nothing is more deep and profound than Vin Diesel.......... Thats beautiful man!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I don't get all the hate. If someone makes you rage by "corpse humping".. maybe it's time to take a break at that stage. And if someone is spending time sending messages to people.. they are leaving themselves exposed. And if you read your messages mid round and are shot, you get no sympathy from me. Read them while respawning.

You know, I never ever grief like this. But every now and then, someone who I am dominating accuses me of HAXXORING and it entertains me like nothing else. And if someone is pissing you off, just find another server :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I don't get all the hate. If someone makes you rage by "corpse humping".. maybe it's time to take a break at that stage. And if someone is spending time sending messages to people.. they are leaving themselves exposed. And if you read your messages mid round and are shot, you get no sympathy from me. Read them while respawning.

You know, I never ever grief like this. But every now and then, someone who I am dominating accuses me of HAXXORING and it entertains me like nothing else. And if someone is pissing you off, just find another server :rolleyes:

Interesting, but i just find it so funny when these halo nuts!! go through the whole match just to find you because you took there favourite gun or teabagged them, some people take the game way too seriously but me and my mate just like to kick back and have a laugh! i mean whats wrong with developing your own personal tactics, just cos its not the way the game was intended to be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

More power to you, lads. This may be a far out idea and all, but have you ever considered how angry someone would be if you beat them on a level-playing field? As Vin Petrol says, "You have to live Plan A on any level. Make it a lowercase a if you have to, but live your Plan A. Anything else belittles the importance of life". Sage words: think about it.

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    More power to you, lads. This may be a far out idea and all, but have you ever considered how angry someone would be if you beat them on a level-playing field? As Vin Petrol says, "You have to live Plan A on any level. Make it a lowercase a if you have to, but live your Plan A. Anything else belittles the importance of life". Sage words: think about it.

Truely sage words! However let me be very clear, i dont play like I play because i enjoy making people angry, its using the only tactics we can to win. If you get under someones skin, they usually fall apart.

So im just wondering is getting under someones skin a legitimate strategy??

It happens when we play 5-aside on the astro turf haha why not online??

As Vin says "Your not afraid of the dark, are you?" Ok that Vin quote MAY be totally irellevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Truely sage words! However let me be very clear, i dont play like I play because i enjoy making people angry, its using the only tactics we can to win. If you get under someones skin, they usually fall apart.

So im just wondering is getting under someones skin a legitimate strategy??

It happens when we play 5-aside on the astro turf haha why not online??

As Vin says "Your not afraid of the dark, are you?" Ok that Vin quote MAY be totally irellevant.

I'd say it's been a popular tactic since the dawn of time, be it by wearing crazy costumes on the battle field, or dancing the Haka before a rugby match. If someone allows themselves to become so enraged that they are no longer playing properly, then good for you. But, I don't think you'd be able to do it to me. Not that we would ever find out, I have zero interest in Halo.

And to be perfectly honest, you keep suggesting that you are not very good, it's hard to imagine that this tactic alone really works for you. Surely the supposedly better player is going to get you ultimately. He will feel good at that point :)

I'd say it's been a popular tactic since the dawn of time, be it by wearing crazy costumes on the battle field, or dancing the Haka before a rugby match. If someone allows themselves to become so enraged that they are no longer playing properly, then good for you. But, I don't think you'd be able to do it to me. Not that we would ever find out, I have zero interest in Halo.

And to be perfectly honest, you keep suggesting that you are not very good, it's hard to imagine that this tactic alone really works for you. Surely the supposedly better player is going to get you ultimately. He will feel good at that point :)

Yeah im sure you would be my worst nightmare online haha someone whos skin i cant get under!

And of course there are many many times when you try to get at a guy whos on a different planet and end up with egg on your face!

But because you can record your matches online in hale, you can go back and watch the guys from the other team. And you would be suprised how enraged people get, how easilly they are willing to throw a game away just for revenge. Seriously experienced people respawn and head in a straight line to where i killed them, many times dying on the way.

There are those times when you just have to accept a good beating ha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,396 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No matter how underhand these tactics are nobody can deny that leaving a whiny american xbox live twat in tears holds a certain amount of satsfaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

In Battlefield BC2 sometimes when i kill someone i draw my pistol and put a couple of rounds into the head of the corpse because i know they'll have to see me doing this.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No matter how underhand these tactics are nobody can deny that leaving a whiny american xbox live twat in tears holds a certain amount of satsfaction.

hahaha!!!!! well said mate! this is what we run into every time, the yanks are crazy! you'd swear halo was there life, some of them have just too much time on there hands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

It's the same in SFIV, when I find a move that works against my opponent I'm going to use it against him ad nauseum until it no longer works.

This isn't a case of not being sporting. There is no rule that I should pull off 18 hit combos, or play with flare like I'm in a choreographed Bruce Lee film.

If my opponent hasn't practiced enough to counter that move, then that is to my advantage. It's like in a RL boxing match, if his opponent kept leaving himself open for kidney shots, is the other guy just not going to take advantage of it?

In the case of being able to park vehicles on flags and teleporters. This isn't an issue with the players who use it, but the level designers who didn't notice it. If a tactic is allowed within a level, no matter how underhanded it may seem, it is still a legitimate tactic until it is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Sounds all very good natured to me..

Maybe you should try your hand at counterstrike on public servers, basically its you vs your team vs the enemy team. Try to imagine you get banned because some friend of an admin says you are cheating, so you join another server, but he finds you, starts stalking you, squealing that you are a cheater, trying to report you to valve, get you kicked and banned from any servers you join... now thats how you grief someone..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

Ha some legends. Great job if yere able to do it. I can only get under some of my friends skin, but its soooo worth it when you see them crumble,HAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Personally, I think you guys are the type of people who suck the fun out of Xbox Live. Now, granted, I don't play the Halo or MW games, but I can clearly see the situation you've laid out for it... and it ain't cool.
    I'm a huge believer in playing to win. I'm not an amazing gamer, but I'm a damn good one, and I'll drop a whole olt of players before I'm taken out... But I'll do so fairly!

Every Live game you can think of have a bunch of troops who love to step outside the obious rules just to clock up a win, and ruin everyone else's day in the process. This, personally, makes me sick. I think it gives gamers as a whole a bad name.

You'll send a player a message and snipe him as he reads it? Where's the actual victory in that? Where's the sense of pride? You may as well just take up running, and trip the other runners up on the way down the track.

Play fair, or simply don't play!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

JayJay10 wrote: »
    Interesting, but i just find it so funny when these halo nuts!! go through the whole match just to find you because you took there favourite gun or teabagged them, some people take the game way too seriously but me and my mate just like to kick back and have a laugh! i mean whats wrong with developing your own personal tactics, just cos its not the way the game was intended to be played.
    Well, that's one motivation, another is that they're actually not bothered at all really, and it's as entertaining to run around on tangential goals than it is to actually try to win the round.
    I know for me at least, when I was playing WoW and first getting into BGs at a low level, it got to the stage that it was a lot more fun hunting a single player again and again than it was to be bothered actually winning the BG. Then again I was playing a Hunter, which was ezmode at 29.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the bit i dont get is why the OP thinks that people would actually care if he was doing something silly before or after killing them... its a goddamn video game

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

OP, you're the reason why I hate Halo online.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

This is why I like PC gaming. Chavs cant afford them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

L31mr0d wrote: »
    It's like in a RL boxing match, if his opponent kept leaving himself open for kidney shots, is the other guy just not going to take advantage of it?

Given that's a completely illegal and dangerous punch, I'd think the answer is no!
    Sand wrote: »
    This is why I like PC gaming. Chavs cant afford them.

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Read the OP and got myself ready to get involved in this thread.... Then some kid quoted Vin Diesel... Im out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Would you have a problem if everyone else who played games against you used the same underhand tactics with the same frequency?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Do what it takes to win. Fair play lads.

If it is either doing that or losing all the time, do what you are doing.

Advertisement