Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I be sporting??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

deathrider wrote: »
    Personally, I think you guys are the type of people who suck the fun out of Xbox Live. Now, granted, I don't play the Halo or MW games, but I can clearly see the situation you've laid out for it... and it ain't cool.
    I'm a huge believer in playing to win. I'm not an amazing gamer, but I'm a damn good one, and I'll drop a whole olt of players before I'm taken out... But I'll do so fairly!

Every Live game you can think of have a bunch of troops who love to step outside the obious rules just to clock up a win, and ruin everyone else's day in the process. This, personally, makes me sick. I think it gives gamers as a whole a bad name.

You'll send a player a message and snipe him as he reads it? Where's the actual victory in that? Where's the sense of pride? You may as well just take up running, and trip the other runners up on the way down the track.

Play fair, or simply don't play!

Are you complaining ONLY about the "sending a message mid-game" thing, or about all of OP's tricks?

The in-game Halo tricks he mentioned are actually very clever, it's the kind of thing I wouldn't have thought of. Having a back-up plan if the Tank fails? Genius! And it is COMPLETELY fair, and just exposes bad design. If you don't like it, you'd be better off playing something else.

But sending a player message mid-game is wrong -- shooting a player in-Dashboard is no better than shooting an AFK player. It's their own fault for reading the message, but deliberately doing it is a dick move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Are you complaining ONLY about the "sending a message mid-game" thing, or about all of OP's tricks?

The in-game Halo tricks he mentioned are actually very clever, it's the kind of thing I wouldn't have thought of. Having a back-up plan if the Tank fails? Genius! And it is COMPLETELY fair, and just exposes bad design. If you don't like it, you'd be better off playing something else.

But sending a player message mid-game is wrong -- shooting a player in-Dashboard is no better than shooting an AFK player. It's their own fault for reading the message, but deliberately doing it is a dick move.
    Surely by your own logic, it just highlights bad design?

The sending a player message in-game?

That highlights how stupid player messages are.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Yes, it is time to give up the underhanded tactics and time to play fair.

But the damage has already been done, and you will always be a complete and utter douchebag in the eyes of many.

Do us all a favour and cancel your XBL Subscription please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Hahaha, I love it!

If you're doing whatever you can to win, and it's all legal, then I say more power to you.

It's the concept of an evolving Metagame. If you make blocking the teleporter with a warthog the dominating strategy, your opponents are going to have to learn to respond to that by presumably (I'm not a Halo player)
    (a) Killing the player who usually goes for the warthog
    (b) Destroying the warthog before you can get it
    (c) Guarding the teleporter
    (d) Ignoring the teleporter completely and using an alternate means of escape

Each of these involve different tactics/distribution of players, but if they decide to always go with (b), you will in turn need to decide between assigning more players to protect the warthog, or abandoning it altogether in favour of blocking the portal with something else.

The metagame could then evolve to the point where nobody goes near any warthog because it's just become too obvious and easy to counter.

For the people who say: "That's unfair and you should cancel your XBL subscription" probably aren't having as much fun, and certainly aren't exploring the metagame.

You can still play like a dick and BE sporting though. As long as you say GG/shake hands after games and don't taunt losers or whine about winners.

I think that's where a lot of peoples' sportsmanship falls on XBL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I love guys like you that make american kids cry or make them do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DaceX

Sand wrote: »
    This is why I like PC gaming. Chavs cant afford them.

That's why we play console games, to avoid tossers who spend thousands of Euro on state of the art pc systems, creating their own virtual fantasy world where unlike the real world, people actually like them, all so they can escape the crushing reality that their life is a pointless tragic failure.

By the way lots of good points made on here(and the usual occasional idiotic one), all constructive opinions especially ones that don't agree with mine are much appreciated.

And I think it's fair to say, sending a message through the dashboard and sniping him while he read it? Ok that was over the line! I'll hold my hands up on that one ha!

And yes we are playing Reach, and I'm happy to say I'm taking the fight to whiney Americans and people who take themselves too seriously. So here's to you like minded gamers who can't aim, and can't play for hours every night! Let's keep fighting dirty and as they say in the NBA.... Go hard or go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JayJay10

I have to say i’m happy to see that there are other players out the that use these same methods, i mean what’s the fun in losing all the time there’s no fun in it trust me i know, so as a result what me and my mate done was get down to the most basic stuff, like in terms our most played game which is halo we would go on defence on capture the flag for the whole game (everyone normally runs straight for the opponents flag away) and in slayer we would follow one of our team mates around every time we respawn so if we get killed at least one of our team mates has a chance to even up the score, as I said basic.

We really don’t play often enough to be anything special maybe an hour or two twice a week, which isn’t an awful lot considering how many games some of these online gamers seem to play.

As pointed out in a previous post these guys (mainly yanks) take online gaming way too serious, judging from what I’ve seen in game and on different forums and web pages they are just crazy!! Just see the below video.

It’s only a game it’s not a way of life!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcRT9PhDhtc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

DaceX wrote: »
    That's why we play console games, to avoid tossers who spend thousands of Euro on state of the art pc systems, creating their own virtual fantasy world where unlike the real world, people actually like them, all so they can escape the crushing reality that their life is a pointless tragic failure.

ffs

look sonny, pc gamers are the reason why you have your online console games to begin with and there are lots of good FPS (first person shooter) pc player who were playing on line for years before world of warcraft came out.

And were playing multiplayer teen games to high level competition standard in a face to face tourneys going back over 10 years. Those same pc gamers lobbied as part of Ireland offline to have broadband internet so they could play at home and they are part of the reason you can do so to day.

Yeah so you are playing the person and not the game, cos it sounds like you don't have the skills. Inconsiderate dickheadish behaviour like yours is why I never the mic on the headset.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sand wrote: »
    This is why I like PC gaming. Chavs cant afford them.
    Lets not turn this into yet another pointless PC vs. Console thread. Sand's post was either sarcastic or stupid, as was DaceX's.

I'm all for being competitive in games, when competitivness is called for. But anything that breaks the 4th wall (so to speak), such as in sending messages to the player, is just cheating in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

So here's to you like minded gamers who can't aim, and can't play for hours every night! Let's keep fighting dirty and as they say in the NBA.... Go hard or go home.

... OR you could just be a man, and actually learn how to play your favourite games instead of fighting dirty and playing around the rules, claiming blind that you're not actually breaking them. You've pretty much admitted that you are not good at Halo (and as I've already mentioned, I'm not a Halo player myself), because you don't have the time to master it. Yet, you think you deserve your wins over pro players because you don't "play for hours every night", and because you "can't aim"?
    Halo (just like any other video game, sport, muical instrument, etc) takes time and effort to become good at. Hone your skills, or simply, as mentioned by a member already, cancel your Live subscription.

Kiith wrote: »
    Lets not turn this into yet another pointless PC vs. Console thread. Sand's post was either sarcastic or stupid, as was DaceX's.

I'm all for being competitive in games, when competitivness is called for. But anything that breaks the 4th wall (so to speak), such as in sending messages to the player, is just cheating in my books.

Can you tell me exactly how this counts as cheating?? if the player is stupid enough to actually fall for it then let it be, its called thinking outside the box and using the brain the good lord gave you!! just because your not fantastic at the game doesnt mean you cant use what ever you got to win, unlike some of you hardcore gamers that can afford to spend hours and hours online unfortunitly i havent got that privilege.

... OR you could just be a man, and actually learn how to play your favourite games instead of fighting dirty and playing around the rules, claiming blind that you're not actually breaking them. You've pretty much admitted that you are not good at Halo (and as I've already mentioned, I'm not a Halo player myself), because you don't have the time to master it. Yet, you think you deserve your wins over pro players because you don't "play for hours every night", and because you "can't aim"?
    Halo (just like any other video game, sport, muical instrument, etc) takes time and effort to become good at. Hone your skills, or simply, as mentioned by a member already, cancel your Live subscription.

Be a man?? We are still talking about video games right??

So you genuinely believe that if someone doesn't have the time to develop skills online, they should cancel their subscriptions??

Maybe you should drop Bill Gates a line and tell him to remove anyone who plays less than two hours a night??

So in your mind, I should either take a beating everytime I sign in or just stay away. I'm not allowed employ strategies, play to my strengths or out think other gamers?? Thank god your not in charge of xbox live haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

This post is hilarious start to finish.

"Be a man"
    "deserve your wins over pro players"

If someone reads an XBL message during a game, they deserve to be headshot, and they certainly weren't very good at the game. I'm not even sure what your personal definition of "pro" is.

Also skill/honourableness at Halo is not a determining factor as to whether or not you are a man. That's more of an anatomy thing.

JayJay10 wrote: »
    Can you tell me exactly how this counts as cheating?? if the player is stupid enough to actually fall for it then let it be, its called thinking outside the box and using the brain the good lord gave you!! just because your not fantastic at the game doesnt mean you cant use what ever you got to win, unlike some of you hardcore gamers that can afford to spend hours and hours online unfortunitly i havent got that privilege.

It's not thinking outside the box, it's using a feature thats not part of the game to get an advantage over another player. If you want to 'think outside the box', do it within the boundaries of the game and come up with a new/better way to defeat the opposition.

It's not thinking outside the box, it's using a feature thats not part of the game to get an advantage over another player. If you want to 'think outside the box', do it within the boundaries of the game and come up with a new/better way to defeat the opposition.

So let me get this straight you want me to just use the the boundaries to beat the opposition, you sound like someone who never steps over the line or breaks the rules, fine thats your opinion but if everyone played by the rules there would be no excitement or fun at all, we'd be doing the same thing every game whats the point in that??

all i'm saying is dont take yourself so serious, rules were made to be broken, have some fun for godsake!!

How far do you go though? If your willing to use out of game messages to distract people, which is not intended inside the boundaries of the game, would you be willing to use a program that gives you an advantage over other players? Aimbots, wallhacks and so on?

I'm all for having fun. But have fun in a fair way. The only way you'll get better is by practising, not cheating (and yes, i say cheating imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fnz wrote: »
    Would you have a problem if everyone else who played games against you used the same underhand tactics with the same frequency?

They do. It's called Xbox Live.

There's a good article on a similar theme here http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/commentary/games/2007/11/gamesfrontiers_1105

How far do you go though? If your willing to use out of game messages to distract people, which is not intended inside the boundaries of the game, would you be willing to use a program that gives you an advantage over other players? Aimbots, wallhacks and so on?

I'm all for having fun. But have fun in a fair way. The only way you'll get better is by practising, not cheating (and yes, i say cheating imo).

Using in game messages to distract people is one thing but modding is totally different, i never have and never will use aimbots or wallhacks (not that i even know what they are!!) in any sort of game never mind even tampering with the console in any way, haha!! i would even know where to start! and even if i did whats the point i'd probably end up wrecking my console or getting banned, but as i said i dont know how they work so i wouldnt even bother mate.

• Advertisement

So in your mind, I should either take a beating everytime I sign in or just stay away.

That's pretty much the idea, yeah. If you're gaming against more skilled players, then become a skilled player yourself and kick some arse. Hone your skills as a gamer, or admit defeat, and simply play a game you are better at instead of resorting to cheap shots and sucker punches.

My main games online would be Super Street Fighter IV, and Duke Nukem 3D. I play hard, but I play fair. Sure, I win some and lose some, but that's how gaming works. I wouldn't back down from a player, or try to cheap him outta a win just because he's better than I am. Instead, I fight harder to try and win. If I lose, I lose. But if I don't, then I know that I'm improving.

So in conclusion, the answer to your intitial question is- Yes. Be more sporting!

And, yes, in retrospect my last post was a bit harsh, so my apoligies if any feeling were hurt. But this kinda behaviour online really bugs me.

You play Street Fighter?

Oooooooooh.

You would probably HATE some of my friends on the Fighting Games forum because...*you sound like a scrub*.
    And they would tear you a new one with "cheap, underhanded tactics".

The "skill" in using a trap has the same "skill" as learning to headshot & sticky with accuracy -- it helps you WIN.
    And that's why a player using traps is just as "skilled" as a player who can snipe you within 2 seconds of spotting you.

I've fought some of your boys before. Even attended one of the Inferno contests in Dublin. To be honest, from what I've experienced, I think they are fantastic players. I was more that just put in my place by them, and I was very impressed by the way they fought.

As regards the skill thing, I don't see the skill in parking a truck on teleporters just to anny people. But then again, perhaps you're right, and I am a "scrub". There are certain tactics that I wouldn't resort to, and certain depths I wouldn't lower myself to. However, I wouldn't call this an inferior trait.

It's not an "inferior" trait unless you want to win ;)

Advertisement