Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My quitting Log

Options
  • 09-09-2010 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Age 29 and a twenty a day smoker for the past 12 years. I've never tried to quit before.

I've now been off cigarettes five days having used the method outlined in Allen Carr's book The Easyway.
    I've found it relatively easy so far although today has been the worst day.
    I was considering relenting earlier this morning and had to take a walk and remind myself that I get absolutely nothing from smoking.
    Has anyone else on here quit using Allen Carr's approach. I'm interested to hear how people got on with quitting by this method.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

Yea I quit before using this method, but found that I was back on them after about 8 months. A few other people i know had the same fate with this book. And it didnt work second time around either.

However...I am off them again, 9 weeks now. Used patches for three days and then quit them too.

Before I quit, I found myself chain smoking 4-5 rollies, and not enjoying a single one of them. Also, I was angry at myself for smoking so I decided that I bo longer wanted to damage my body, cos well I only have the one

Keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Well, even if I end up failing at least I haven't lost anything.

Today, day 6, has been tough so far. Have been in a foul mood all morning and getting nothing done at work. Plan to stay away from the booze this weekend to avoid slipping up and smoking. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Keep up the good work Petethebrick

Off them nearly 10 weeks myself. 20 Carrolls a day :(
    I can now concentrate in work without a cigarette.
    I can now go more than 5 minutes without thinking of a cigarette
    I can now walk/cycle a decent distance without bursting for breath
    I can now walk proudly into a meeting room without stinking of cigarettes

All this in 10 weeks

Because you're worth it ;)

FAIL :(
    I was doing fine this weekend. Went out on friday, had a few drinks and wasn't really tempted to smoke. On saturday afternoon however, I got into an awful mood for no reason, completely irrational, so ended up smoking.
    It wasnt so much that I was craving a smoke, it was more to do with the fact that I thought smoking would get me out the mood i was in and back to my normal frame of mind.

Has anyone else experienced these moodswings while quitting and how did you deal with them??

Back to the drawing board. I'm going to keep trying until I succeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

FAIL :(

Has anyone else experienced these moodswings while quitting and how did you deal with them??

Back to the drawing board. I'm going to keep trying until I succeed!

Yeah i had a few, I had to really fight through them. I just went into my bedroom and stuck on the PS3 and killed a whole heap of baddies for a few hours. worked a treat. :)
    A more healthhy option is exercising when you get a craving. Walk, run, cycle whatever.
    Keep trying!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭boarduser1980

Hi Petethebrick

im smoking since im 13, 30yrs old now. i have been trying for a long long time to give up, its definetly all in the head, but its still so hard.
    anyway i had my last cigarette 2 days ago and am determined to stay off them. for 1. im broke all the time, i have a mortgage, bills etc etc and 2. health reasons, i shouldnt be smoking
    i have read the alan carr book twice before a couple of years ago BUT never read it to the end, apparantly your meant to. im gonna start it again.

im gonna 'follow' this thread, as its great encouragement , thanks. ;)

Good luck. keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

I know that some people may say that cutting down gradually to a halt is no better than just stopping "cold Turkey" as it were, but this is the approach I am taking. Anyone used this method before, and what was the results?

I don't have a plan, I've just been trying it for the past 2 weeks. Gone from a pack a day to 1 every 3 days. Hope that in the next week or two, I will forego them altogether.

I have tried to cut down before but it never works out in the long run. Obviously it doesn't do you any harm to cut down but it's not generally an effective strategy fro quitting permanently. Allen Carr's book has some things to say about cutting down as an approach. I'll send you a pdf copy of it

Advertisement