Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Bens...

Options
  • 09-09-2010 3:22pm

Will be getting a few hours out and around the 12 Bens this Saturday. Would like to get in Bencorr and Benbaun, preferably as part of a 5 or 6 hour circuit. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

digging this up

Am heading there in a couple of weeks. Any one recommend routes 4-5 hours long .

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I climbed one at the back, Benbaun, its the highest mountain in Galway, but is not inside the classic ring of the 12. It took about 4-5 hours. Was very nice but really wanted to be in in the 12 proper.

Very good descriprions of it here:

http://mountainviews.ie/summit/89/

I climbed the route described by the second poster there, from the farms at Glencorbet.

Bear in mind that that area of Connemara is regularly in cloud so its hard to get the weather right. The scenary is truly breathtaking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Conor74 wrote: »
    Will be getting a few hours out and around the 12 Bens this Saturday. Would like to get in Bencorr and Benbaun, preferably as part of a 5 or 6 hour circuit. Any suggestions?

Tried the horseshoe a few years back with Mrs S starting at Derryclare, had to pull out a Benbaun as ran out of time and weather was closing in. Defo plan to go back again so would be interested to hear how you get on. One I thing I remember is it's a very committed route with few if any exit points.

Advertisement