Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

use my phone for route maping

Options
  • 09-09-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi

Im starting a project where by I want to use a smart phone (HTC or apple iphone) to track the route of a cable duct. You cant get a gps signal underground so it will have to determine its route by using the inbuilt acceleromoters or gyroscopes to measure acceleration direction, pitch, roll and yaw.

The idea is to pass it trough the pipe by pulling it using a rope, collecting it at the other end and outputing the data to excel to graph its displacement on an x-y graph and a x-z graph.

Can it be done?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would say no. You are after something with the precision of a top notch inertial guidance system. I think the sensors in phones are likely way too crude.

Accelerometers measure a change in velocity. A phone being pulled through a conduit at a steady speed will seem to the accelerometer to be at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

It would be traveling a constant speed but it will be going around bends so i thought the 3 axis accelerometer in my htc legend would pick up the changes in direction. it wouldnt need to be able to tell me what directions the bends are going in but rather how acute they are so id have an idea about how difficult it would be to pull cables through it. if i had a time stamp too for every x,y and z acceleration and i knew the pull rate then i could determine how far from the start of the duct they are.

The problem im having is i often waste alot of time trying to pull cables through the duct only to find out that the contractor who laid the cables put in too many bends because they didnt plan ahead and had to add in sever bends to get past existing services.
    cnocbui wrote: »
    I would say no. You are after something with the precision of a top notch inertial guidance system. I think the sensors in phones are likely way too crude.

Accelerometers measure a change in velocity. A phone being pulled through a conduit at a steady speed will seem to the accelerometer to be at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

How about a key-fob mini cam and maglite? See what's in there for yourself. :D

Advertisement