Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gearbox for A3

• 09-09-2010 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Just been told by a dealer that I need a new gearbox. They want to charge me 2100 for a reconditioned one or 3500 for a new so i need to go else where. Any ideas, Cork, Tipp or Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ring around the breakers yards. You would need your gearbox code too Im sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Cork Gearbox Centre. He rebuilt the one in my Leon for €1000 just before christmas. His names Brian and he's pretty straight up.

021- 4351199

He'll also give you a car at no extra cost so long as you cover the insurance. AFAIK he's the only one doing rebuilds around Cork. Denis Hendersons do refurbs but they just get those from Naas Gearbox Centre and are more expensive than them too.

Sh!t man you're having some bad luck with that. Surely you can get legal advice regarding the private sale on that car. Owner obviously know all this was going down. Long shot I know but the bills you're facing are frightening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd rather go down the reconditioned/rebuilt route than just getting a second hand one from a breakers yard. At least with the reconditioned/rebuilt box you have some sort of guarantee it will not fail on you soon after fitting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So thats turbo, DMF, now gearbox in the few weeks since you bought. To say that the seller knew what they were doing would be an understatement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

mickdw wrote: »
    So thats turbo, DMF, now gearbox in the few weeks since you bought. To say that the seller knew what they were doing would be an understatement

Don't forget the clutch;)

On the plus side it should be good to go for a long while after all that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

EPM wrote: »
    Don't forget the clutch;)

On the plus side it should be good to go for a long while after all that...
    Id have to agree with EPM and look on the bright side. yours 6 speed yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Love the Smurf

Id have to agree with EPM and look on the bright side. yours 6 speed yeah?

Its a 6 speed ya,

Ya anything that could go wrong most definetly has, I think a judge would go easy on a murder trial if he heard my story of why I beat the seller to death with the remains of her gearbox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

was on to naas gearbox centre there so I asked them for prices, he said they give 2 problems, grind in first and 2nd-€680 to repair or the main shaft gives trouble-€1100 to repair. they would need your box. 045-879850

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Love the Smurf

Audi have said its either the input or the output bearing. They wouldnt know unless the opened it up.

Thanks for that quote by the way.

Cork Gearbox have said it will be approx €1000

Advertisement