Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quickest route to dublin please

Options
  • 09-09-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Can you tell me the fastest route from Westport to Dublin, the route planners are giving two different routes 1 through Atlone and Claremorris, and 2, through Longford and Mullingar, they look the same distance but maybe Mayo folk know which has better motorway and bypasses etc, ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

the claremorris ,rosscommon, athlone road is better over all as you are on motorway from athlone on the down side is that the standard of road up to athlone is not that great but you can still make a reasonable time on that road

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

mayo_lad wrote: »
    the claremorris ,rosscommon, athlone road is better over all as you are on motorway from athlone on the down side is that the standard of road up to athlone is not that great but you can still make a reasonable time on that road
    That's the way I generally go. The roads aren't great from Claremorris to Ballymoe (and none too hot from there to Roscommon), but the N5 is no great shakes for much of its length either, and there's generally a lot less traffic to contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

+1 on the Roscommon way. Before the Motorway from Athlone was built i used to go Roscommon-Lanesboro-Mullingar as it cut out the hellhole that is Longford. The N5 is incredibly frustrating, at least with the roscommon way you are able to move at a decent pace and also you can get a chance to pass out slow moving traffic as there are quite a few straight bits. My OH goes mad though when i drive that way as he hates being a passenger on the bumpy road, poor baby ;-)

Samhain wrote: »
    ...it cut out the hellhole that is Longford.
    On that: I still go to Mullingar from time to time (home, innit) and I take the N5. You can bypass Longford by taking the second left after Flancare Park, it takes you around to the mini-roundabout near the Topaz petrol station. Turn left there, and you're right onto the bypass. Narrow little road, but beats the hell out of going through the town.

On that: I still go to Mullingar from time to time (home, innit) and I take the N5. You can bypass Longford by taking the second left after Flancare Park, it takes you around to the mini-roundabout near the Topaz petrol station. Turn left there, and you're right onto the bypass. Narrow little road, but beats the hell out of going through the town.

Cool, Thanks for that. Will look it up on the map....

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

How long does it take to get to Dublin via Athlone? I haven't tried it but the fact that it rules out part of the ballagh to strokessotwn route is incentive enough.

It is probably still over 150 miles?

finisklin wrote: »
    How long does it take to get to Dublin via Athlone? I haven't tried it but the fact that it rules out part of the ballagh to strokessotwn route is incentive enough.

It is probably still over 150 miles?
    Google says 3 hours 20 minutes, and 250km. I think 3 hours is probably realistic under most circumstances.

Thanks for that OscarBravo, very helpful indeed....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Depends what time you are on the road at though ;)

I go up to Dublin, Baldonnell for work each week, leave at 6am, sitting at the desk at 8.30am. Traffic is dead as far as Longford but then picks a bit after that.
    Come down the same way leaving Baldonnell at 5pm, sitting on the sofa at 7.35pm.

I have tried numerous combinations of Claremorris, Ros, Athlone. Tried Tulsk, Ros, Athlone but just find currently the surface much better via Longford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

yop wrote: »
    Depends what time you are on the road at though ;)

I go up to Dublin, Baldonnell for work each week, leave at 6am, sitting at the desk at 8.30am. Traffic is dead as far as Longford but then picks a bit after that.
    Come down the same way leaving Baldonnell at 5pm, sitting on the sofa at 7.35pm.

I have tried numerous combinations of Claremorris, Ros, Athlone. Tried Tulsk, Ros, Athlone but just find currently the surface much better via Longford.

yes the surfaces is better on the n5 than the other suggested route but the traffic is extremely bad in longford from 8 o clock in the morning to 6 o clock at night . the fact that baldonnell is in the north of dublin would be helping you time as well as you would be avoiding most of the traffic in the city

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mayo_lad wrote: »
    yes the surfaces is better on the n5 than the other suggested route but the traffic is extremely bad in longford from 8 o clock in the morning to 6 o clock at night . the fact that baldonnell is in the north of dublin would be helping you time as well as you would be avoiding most of the traffic in the city

Im lucky I hit outside both them times then :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭mcdoogle

If you go Claremorris, Tuam and onto the motorway at Claregalway you'll make Dublin round the 3 hour mark. Once your on the motorway it's 2hrs to Dub.

Done it in less before! :D

mcdoogle wrote: »
    If you go Claremorris, Tuam and onto the motorway at Claregalway you'll make Dublin round the 3 hour mark. Once your on the motorway it's 2hrs to Dub.

Done it in less before! :D

Why would you go to Galway from Westport to get to Dublin?? :o
    Adding loads of miles and not gaining on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭thechronicit

Works has commenced on the new Tuam to Gort road via Athenry, when completed, at Athenry, a new roundabout will be built linking the new road with the M6 motorway outside Athenry will knock the journey time by half hour, so if you're driving from Castlebar or Westport you be in Dublin approx 2 1/2 hour. This will be the way we be going to Dublin from now on unless NRA upgrade the N5 & N4.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 THE 1

castlebar too dublin on the N5 via longford(left turn after flancare park) 2 1/2 hrs no probs. i did it in 2hr 15mins , not driving over 70mph but the traffic wasn't busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

IMHO, if you don't break the speed limit by any more than say 10 kph, there's no way you can get to Dublin quicker on the Athlone route than the Longford one, even going thru Cloonfad and not B'haunis..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

mayo to dublin be quickest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

"the fact that baldonnell is in the north of dublin would be helping you "
    Did someone move it,Baldonnell is on the southern side of Dublin,well south of the Liffey!

moonshadow wrote: »
    "the fact that baldonnell is in the north of dublin would be helping you "
    Did someone move it,Baldonnell is on the southern side of Dublin,well south of the Liffey!

The IMF moved it there, wanted to get everyone closer to the airport :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement