Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Maynooth (II)

• 09-09-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi all,

Moving into the Meadowbrook area of Maynooth very shortly. Need fast broadband for work from home. UPC cannot provide service in this area.

As far as I can tell, I'm pretty much stuck with Eircom. I've heard one or two people mention that Eircom in Maynooth is quite reliable, can anyone confirm this?

Also, my new neighbours have Eircom installed. I don't know any of them, but is there another way I can find out if the line is ADSL or ADSL2+ ?? I will need to get a line installed into the new house, I want to find out if it will be worthwhile or if I'll be on an old slowboat ADSL.

Called up Eircom today asking about 24mb broadband, which I know is basically fictitious but seems to be the fastest I can go for. She told be 8mb Next Generation will actually be quicker, but I can't see how given that Eircom has always apparently been decent in Maynooth.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yes been waiting for UPC in my estate for ages and no use.

We are with Imagine, they are okay but upload is pants and anybody doing anything on upload will kill the connection.

Probably Digiweb if you aren't a high bandwidth user are good for games on their Metro service but crap caps.

Then your stuck with Phone line after that it seems for decent service (open to correction). Costs a lot and no real guarantees of service. Eircom are ok in Maynooth, had them in one house and they were pants, friend had them in one house and had no problems so it isn't a guarantee that you'll get good service.

The NGN has no contention and that is about its only advantage I think, the others will have contention and it can go crap at certain times. I never liked it. Probably ending up back on it now though.

Anyone know of any better providers let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Lol she's talking crap if she told you 8mb NGB is better than 24mb!!
    if you are in fact on ADSL2+ and are close enough to the broadband exchange in your area you should get around 19-21mb
    also i wouldnt touch the NGB if you go over the cap they smack you in the face with extra charges also speeds get mostly worse on NGB than their other packages

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Thought so Jay.

Advertisement