Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing Cards BAD for Cyclists!!

• 09-09-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭

This is a new one!

"Playing cards - although not against race rules - is highly frowned upon because it is thought to damage sensation in the riders' fingers, the same fingers needed to pull off a swift gear change"

Full Article here

Pro cyclists seem to have a reason for not doing anything other than cycling.

Geez...even better: "Solitaire is one thing, but this was a game of 'Rummy'"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

The link to that article is not working ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Your link doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Jaysus thats a bit severe. They should have played online, or could that be bad for their fingers too. From what he said it would be ok if they played solatire. Was he worried they may pass disease by both touching the same cards.

Sounds reasonable to me. These are professionals and they have to conduct themselves in a professional manner - especially during a major tour. It's one thing having a game of cards the night before the Wicklow 200 but this is serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Morgan wrote: »
    Sounds reasonable to me. These are professionals and they have to conduct themselves in a professional manner - especially during a major tour. It's one thing having a game of cards the night before the Wicklow 200 but this is serious.

Not exactly in the same league as Wayne Rooney is it?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Not exactly in the same league as Wayne Rooney is it?

Which appendage has he desensitized?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

What is the world coming to?
    *shakes head*

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Jaysus....Anquetil used to get hammered on absinthe between stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Wait...you mean this isn't from the onion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

What a load of B*******

By the way Dirk should take note of the following :)
    Football has long been seen as the worst pastime possible for professional riders. Back in the 80s covert games of 'Babyfoot' were going on behind the scenes but it was largely brushed under the carpet.
    But in the 90s there was a huge scandal when, in the 1998 Tour, race officials discovered that a whole team had been organising systematic games of football before and after every stage in the race.
    The team's cover was blown when their soigneur was caught trying to smuggle class-A balls, top-quality goalkeeping gloves and illicit pairs of boots over the border on his way to the prologue in Ireland.
    A decade later, the directeur sportif behind today's card controversy admitted that he himself had played five-a-side and partaken in penalty shoot-outs with other football aficionados during his lone Tour win in the mid 90s.
    Illicit pairs of boots :confused: and
    class-A-Balls!!! As if we couldn't find these south of the border

Babelfish perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

bbosco wrote: »
    Jaysus....Anquetil used to get hammered on absinthe between stages.

Very unprofessional. He might have won 8 Tours de France had he played his cards right.

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

No wonder I'm so poor on the bike, I could have been so much better if I didn't play cards or football.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Not falling for it. Someone's having you on with this article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I play poker tournaments and none of the poker players are top class cyclists. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

Classic stuff. I just came in from a good night out and saw this thread. When I saw the tread title, I first thought it referred to the ancient and revered custom of fixing cards to the spokes of a bicycle wheel.

Funniest satire I've read in a long time. Morgan's first comment also cracked me up. Literally LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

wrong thread

Advertisement