Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Toastghost wrote: »
    Hey guy im new to boards so forgive me if i sound "noobish" or am posting in the wrong section for this but here it goes.

HAs anyone got the practise papers for the hpat from acer?
    its 3 weeks to go before the exam and the website said it may take around 2 weeks to deliver so im worried they may not come in time or i ownt get proper time to study them and keep up with school work.

So has anyone purchased these papers recently and they hace artived in time?

Also it was printed in the independent yesterday that the number of applicants for medicine has increased this year so they assume points will too.

Im aiming for 550 points in the L.C. so I hope to achieve 180-200 points in the hpat for a secure spot.
    I got mine about one week after registration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Toastghost

Hmmmmmmm well I probably will order them tommorow anyhow i just dont want to waste my moey on them if they dont come.

Are they anygood? I here timing is imperical so I need to practice the paper asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Tara_Rxxx

Hey guy im new to boards so forgive me if i sound "noobish" or am posting in the wrong section for this but here it goes.

HAs anyone got the practise papers for the hpat from acer?
    its 3 weeks to go before the exam and the website said it may take around 2 weeks to deliver so im worried they may not come in time or i ownt get proper time to study them and keep up with school work.

So has anyone purchased these papers recently and they hace artived in time?

Also it was printed in the independent yesterday that the number of applicants for medicine has increased this year so they assume points will too.

Im aiming for 550 points in the L.C. so I hope to achieve 180-200 points in the hpat for a secure spot.

I have practise papers for this year that i havent touched, decided not to do the Hpat after all!I have both papers and they are literally still in the envelope they came in. It did take about the 2 weeks for them to come i will say. This might get kinda confusing because i live in wexford?! anyway message me if this is any good for you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Hi guys,just wondering should i go for medicine?? or is it too much work???
    I am in 5th year at the moment.Reply if u have any advice .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Hmmmmmmm well I probably will order them tommorow anyhow i just dont want to waste my moey on them if they dont come.

Are they anygood? I here timing is imperical so I need to practice the paper asap.

They're the only ones given out by ACER who set the real paper, so they're a fairly good representation.

• Advertisement

Oh and the thought just occured to me............

To anyone who thiks these 500 euro plus course will help improve your result immensly in the hpat consider this.

1)In a study carried out by acer there is not noticiable increase in students' marks when they attend specific hpat courses

2)People say they do better the 2nd time because of these hpat course i.e score +20/30 from previous year.But if they did it a 2nd time what does that suggest?This suggests that they did not get the points needed for the course on there first go which implies there hpat score was low the first time so an improvement on a low score isnt really helping now is it?

3) these students that do better the 2nd time most likely will not repeat the leaving cert to focus on the hpat so they have more tme to practice for the exam.

So how can you say these course improve results when it only works on your second go?

2-3 Hours a day preparing for the HPAT?

Really? They must be neglecting their actual LC if they spend that amount of time on the HPAT.

I know they are giving up on there mocks for now and they failed their maths christmas test so I assume he needs to do better in the hpat ><

But ya the guy has the social skills of a potato so i dont see how medicine will suit him verymuch.

Whats worse is he wants to do surgery now how can he talk to patients about life threthening things if he spends his days in his room?

I know they are giving up on there mocks for now and they failed their maths christmas test so I assume he needs to do better in the hpat ><

But ya the guy has the social skills of a potato so i dont see how medicine will suit him verymuch.

Whats worse is he wants to do surgery now how can he talk to patients about life threthening things if he spends his days in his room?
    If he's allowing himself to fail tests under a delusion of thinking he can ride in to Medicine with a poor LC and a good HPAT he'll have another thing coming.

You can only prepare so much for the HPAT, after that it all comes down to how you handle the test on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I don't know why I'm laughing so much at this, but I know so many potato people! :D:D

David1994 wrote: »
    Hi guys,just wondering should i go for medicine?? or is it too much work???
    I am in 5th year at the moment.Reply if u have any advice .

What are your reasons for considering medicine? You have to be prepared to put in a lot of work, for both LC and in college, so if you don't think its worth it then its not for you.

• Advertisement

I don't know why I'm laughing so much at this, but I know so many potato people! :D:D

iIt is the only way to describe the fellow.....

Well the lad is smart.....socially challenges yes but smart all the same.

Like me he is aiming for 550 in the leaving cert but his soul concern atm is the hpat and he has gicen up on the mocks which i know my self are worthless reflections of grade but its the dicipline factor that we should learn from them,timing sitting there for 3 hours and the fear of failing etc.

If he's allowing himself to fail tests under a delusion of thinking he can ride in to Medicine with a poor LC and a good HPAT he'll have another thing coming.

You can only prepare so much for the HPAT, after that it all comes down to how you handle the test on the day.

Im not really sure how to put this but in a way he's smart but in others he's an idiot.

I htink he ahs a really good memory as he does well in chemistry and biology but he's only average at his others except maths and physics which he failed and barely passed respectively.

So he may have a good leaving cert in some areas and very poor in others hence why he's compensating with the hpat but as i said he is weak at logical subjects and good at memory based ones so i dont thinks he will do very well at all.

iIt is the only way to describe the fellow.....

Well the lad is smart.....socially challenges yes but smart all the same.

Like me he is aiming for 550 in the leaving cert but his soul concern atm is the hpat and he has gicen up on the mocks which i know my self are worthless reflections of grade but its the dicipline factor that we should learn from them,timing sitting there for 3 hours and the fear of failing etc.

Don't worry about what other people are doing, just stick with your own plan. The mocks are a good indicator of where you need to put more work into your studying, so you shouldn't ignore them completely, but what I would say is that if they clash with the HPAT don't tire yourself out for a week non stop studying for them when you should be getting enough sleep before the exam. The HPAT is more important than the mocks obviously, but the leaving cert is just as important so you can't just give up on that and depend on the hpat to pull you through.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Im not really sure how to put this but in a way he's smart but in others he's an idiot.

I htink he ahs a really good memory as he does well in chemistry and biology but he's only average at his others except maths and physics which he failed and barely passed respectively.

So he may have a good leaving cert in some areas and very poor in others hence why he's compensating with the hpat but as i said he is weak at logical subjects and good at memory based ones so i dont thinks he will do very well at all.

Well thats just less competition for you ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 m.conn13

2-3 Hours a day preparing for the HPAT?

Really? They must be neglecting their actual LC if they spend that amount of time on the HPAT.

Thats crazy no way wil he get the points for med with that carry on it takes good lc as well as good HPAT...
    I took the week before mine off last year to prep and did a bit the saturday mornings leading up to the exam but that much neglecting your lc is just crazy...
    Jaafa wrote: »
    Hey lads does anyone know of any online resources that might be useful when preparing for the Hpat?

Hey med-entry provide online courses that give you lots of online prep material also it gives tips on how to approach section 1 and 3 i found it really good cos I sucked at section 3...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LutonLad

Just Joined.

I'm a Mayo born fella, applying to ireland from the UK. I was wondering when were told were we've been allocated places to sit the test? I put Galway as my preference but haven't booked any flights yet, ryanairs prices just keep going up! Hoping i'll find out soon!

Speaking of that, has anyone received their tickets yet? Where is it being held around Dublin?

Speaking of that, has anyone received their tickets yet? Where is it being held around Dublin?

An email will be sent 2 weeeks before the exam with your ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 davidj_PM

Hi, the Institute of Education have a moderated discussion forum for HPAT students here. If you have questions related to the sample papers used as part of the course or are looking for advice on how to approach certain questions, it may be of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Just got my ticket today :)

• Advertisement

As did I.

UCD Business Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

As did I.

UCD Business Hall.

Same here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 harmo08

Jaafa wrote: »
    Same here. :D

I got there as well, its going to suck for me, takes 2 hours to get there from my house

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

UCD O'Reilly Hall!

Actually pretty handy to get to for me :)

(I live on the UCD Campus)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

WIT Campus, College Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 harmo08

Musefan wrote: »
    UCD O'Reilly Hall!

Actually pretty handy to get to for me :)

(I live on the UCD Campus)

AHh lucky, i'm in ucd also but i have to commute from lucan every morning

Oh well, guess its me and my 525 points on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

Hey Lads :D Was just wondering if there is anyone out there who got into medicine last year through the HEAR scheme and if so, what were the combined HPAT/LC score with which you were granted entry?

Replies would be much appreciated :D Thanks

Well i've just finished my first practise test and i must say i'm quite pleased with the results of it.
    I know its not the official one and it may very well be completely different on the day but still i remain optimistic :D

Sec. 1 31 out of 44 ( not he best score but then again not the worst.)
    Finished 15 mins early. Used my first choice answers did not rethink anything (except one)

Sec 2 29 out of 36 ( a very good improvement and I'm suprised i did very well in the interpersonal skills section.Not that im a social retard par say but because I was told it was quite hard.)
    Finished 10 mins early again never rechecked answers.

Sec. 3 22 out of 30 (again not bad but could have been better.I had a string of correct answers but i fell at the last hurdle with the "which best suits to be the middle of the series" questions :/ My gender failed me here as I could not really think straight and got 5 out of the 10 wrong)

So in total i got 82 out of 110 which is is 74.5%.

And 74% of 300 is 223 marks. Asumming all questions have equal marks.

But what is the marking scheme and what did i really get in the exam?
    Do all sections ahve equal weight?

And what is the highest score in the hpat as i think that score is pretty good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Well i've just finished my first practise test and i must say i'm quite pleased with the results of it.
    I know its not the official one and it may very well be completely different on the day but still i remain optimistic :D

Sec. 1 31 out of 44 ( not he best score but then again not the worst.)
    Finished 15 mins early. Used my first choice answers did not rethink anything (except one)

Sec 2 29 out of 36 ( a very good improvement and I'm suprised i did very well in the interpersonal skills section.Not that im a social retard par say but because I was told it was quite hard.)
    Finished 10 mins early again never rechecked answers.

Sec. 3 22 out of 30 (again not bad but could have been better.I had a string of correct answers but i fell at the last hurdle with the "which best suits to be the middle of the series" questions :/ My gender failed me here as I could not really think straight and got 5 out of the 10 wrong)

So in total i got 82 out of 110 which is is 74.5%.

And 74% of 300 is 223 marks. Asumming all questions have equal marks.

But what is the marking scheme and what did i really get in the exam?
    Do all sections ahve equal weight?

And what is the highest score in the hpat as i think that score is pretty good :D

Not to bring you down or anything but all questions are not graded equally. Question that are answered very well by most applicants are downgraded in terms of marks and vice versa applies too. It very likely that your score of 223 would be downgraded.
    Then again it might not....it might even go up. Again however the latter is probably a less likely scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

Nobody knows the marking scheme..they don't release it. And different questions have different weights depending on how many got it right. I think the highest was about 221..I'm open to ebing corrected though

Advertisement