Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Toastghost

Yes i've heard that the marking scheme must be alter so that the people with a score of 150 must be those in the 50th percentile so it may vary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Toastghost wrote: »
    Sec. 1 31 out of 44 ( not he best score but then again not the worst.)
    Finished 15 mins early. Used my first choice answers did not rethink anything (except one)

Sec 2 29 out of 36 ( a very good improvement and I'm suprised i did very well in the interpersonal skills section.Not that im a social retard par say but because I was told it was quite hard.)
    Finished 10 mins early again never rechecked answers.

Sec. 3 22 out of 30 (again not bad but could have been better.I had a string of correct answers but i fell at the last hurdle with the "which best suits to be the middle of the series" questions :/ My gender failed me here as I could not really think straight and got 5 out of the 10 wrong)

So in total i got 82 out of 110 which is is 74.5%.

And 74% of 300 is 223 marks. Asumming all questions have equal marks.

But what is the marking scheme and what did i really get in the exam?
    Do all sections ahve equal weight?

And what is the highest score in the hpat as i think that score is pretty good :D

Like Jaafa said, this would be downgraded in the hpat...

Each section is worth 100, so even though there are more questions in section 1 its worth the same as 2 and 3. Whatever marks you are given in each section out of 100 will then just be added together (you are told how you do in each section when you get the results).

The questions which are answered the best will be worth less in the exam. The marking scheme is not released, so you cannot tell how much weight each question has, but they will all be different. There may be no marks for some, and huge marks for others, but it will just depend on everyone elses answers.

Just a warning, section 2 in the practice booklets is very misleading. It was by far my best section for practicing, but in the real thing, I found it very difficult. I used to read a lot, so vocab wise I would have considered myself quite good, but there were words there in the multiple choice that I had honestly never seen before in my life. Also can't remember them now :P

As for finishing early, another thing I remember from the hpat was that there were a lot more long-winded questions than in the practice. Also, its much easier to fly through them and not second guess yourself when it doesn't count for everything! Most people found themselves stuck for time in the real thing.

Not trying to discourage anyone who scored highly in the practice tests, but you can't go into the exam over-confident in how you will do. Its much harder when you're in the exam setting, the practice booklet is not entirely representative of the standard of the real hpat, and obviously nerves and pressure will kick in on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

But in the practice test they give you the definition of some words that may be too difficult to understand. Is that not done in the real thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Jaafa wrote: »
    But in the practice test they give you the definition of some words that may be too difficult to understand. Is that not done in the real thing?

Not that I remember, not for words that were a multiple choice option anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

They gave the definition of thesis but neglected to define the word obsequious.

Now I knew the meaning of both words already but surely thesis would be a much more common word than obsequious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Anyone here doing Medentry? How long before did ye get yere tickets for it emailed to ye? My workshop is next weekend and I still haven't got anything from them. :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Junai_Dahma

Hey guys!
    I am going for medicine this year and will sit the hpat (very soon!)
    been looking at this forum for a while and found a lot of useful info....

I have a few questions though:
    I got the acer practice test and I've been doing just about ok in them as well as taking other aptitude tests online,

however, I think I'd like to do the ******** distance Prep. course in this last week for extra help.
    my question is: is it too late?
    How long does the course last and is it really worth it?

Help much appreciated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Way too late. A bit of practice is definitely useful in improving your grade, but I certainly wouldn't give %*(&$(** any money at this stage of the year. You need time for the practice to actually do you any good.

Imagine running a marathon, and only just training the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 harmo08

my advice is to just keep practicing with material you already have and even try and get some off friends or anyone you know who has done the hpat before.

Its pointless paying for practice material at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lelouchan

Hi all. I'm just wondering about the timing of the exam. I assume its 50 minutes for each of the 3 sections?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Interesting number of 1 post posters here.
    Reminder that dual accounts and shilling are not permitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Mr. Bean.

lelouchan wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm just wondering about the timing of the exam. I assume its 50 minutes for each of the 3 sections?

No it's 65 mins for 44 questions in section 1
    45 mins for 36 questions in section 2
    40 mins for 30 questions in section 3.

Very tight altogether! :(

Oh jees! How do people know all this info? I looked all over the HPAT website to get that info and couldn't find it. Thank you! I've just got the practice papers but I haven't even looked at them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

lelouchan wrote: »
    Oh jees! How do people know all this info? I looked all over the HPAT website to get that info and couldn't find it. Thank you! I've just got the practice papers but I haven't even looked at them yet.
    The HPAT is in one week. How did you only just get the practice papers? :confused:

Cause I only ordered them about a week ago. I figured I couldn't exactly study for it and didn't bother getting them until just before the exams just to see what type of questions could come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

sorry if this has been asked already: Are you allowed to bring a calculator and rough work paper into the Hpat exam?

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys.......

another (quite silly) question:
    On the HPAT Admission ticket, is the "number" taken from your identification document?
    I'm always paranoid I'll make stupid mistakes...........

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

dynamot wrote: »
    sorry if this has been asked already: Are you allowed to bring a calculator and rough work paper into the Hpat exam?

Thanks
    Absolutely not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/battle-gets-harder-for-places-in-medicine-2526591.html

Remember seeing this in the Independent a few weeks back. Points for Medicine cant rise too much can they? They're already high enough!

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/battle-gets-harder-for-places-in-medicine-2526591.html

Remember seeing this in the Independent a few weeks back. Points for Medicine cant rise too much can they? They're already high enough!

No they wont go up by more than 5 points if even. They're pretty much at the maximum as it is, as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Mr. Bean.

About 3,100 students have registered to sit HPAT

Oh crumbs :(

Mr. Bean. wrote: »

Thats average only a bit higher than last year. Besides with 625 places that means we have a 1 in 5 chance of getting a place. Pretty good odds if you ask me.

(of course thats if you get the points, but there'll be people out of that 3000 who won't so it probably evens out.)

Mr. Bean. wrote: »

I second that, times a million.

However, a one in five chance sounds better....

No they wont go up by more than 5 points if even. They're pretty much at the maximum as it is, as far as I know.

Have you got any reasoning/evidence behind that? I have no idea to be honest so I'm just gathering information.

Have you got any reasoning/evidence behind that? I have no idea to be honest so I'm just gathering information.

My reasoning is that only about 100 more people have applied for the Hpat compared to last year if I recall correctly. So demand for places can't be much higher.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Maybe I've spent too much time on the internet but.....I can no longer tell if your being sarcastic or not. :p

No sarcasm mate. I can see how it might have come across though :p. You've put me a little bit at ease now. I cant afford for the points to go up any more! Haha

No sarcasm mate. I can see how it might have come across though :p. You've put me a little bit at ease now. I cant afford for the points to go up any more! Haha

Glad to help. At the end of day theres no point in working out the probability of getting in to medicine or the amount of people going for it or any of that. That time would be put to much better use making sure you get in. Forget about everyone else. ;)

• Advertisement

So easily said yet so hard to enforce! :rolleyes: At least I'll have a weight off my shoulders after Saturday!

Advertisement