Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    So easily said yet so hard to enforce! :rolleyes: At least I'll have a weight off my shoulders after Saturday!

True,true.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I've been thinking. I took the HPAT in 2009. None of the people I talked to were able to complete each section fully (This is the norm for the HPAT from what I heard in my prep couse). If questions are weighted according to how people performed on them, then does that mean that questions at the end of each section are scored more, as fewer people could attempt them, and therefore fewer got them right? If that were to be correct (I am in no way assuming it is, or reccomending this), surely attempting some questions from the end of the paper will bring your total up somewhat? Disregarding completion factors, fatigue is undoubtedly an important factor, and because fatigue can affect your processing time and ability, then perhaps questions toward the end of each section are answered worse that those at the beginning when there are no fatigue effects?

Or perhaps I shouldn't be thinking of this. Two years of critical thinking training in college has made it impossible for me not to fry my brain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Mr. Bean.

Another thing;I recieved an email yesterday saying we weren't allowed take in our own notes or note paper... Will we be given rough work paper or must we do without? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 harmo08

No, we wont be given paper for rough work but you can do your rough work on the question paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

OK so we all know that UMAT practise test 1 is word for word identical to HPAT prActise test 1. But does anyone know definitively whether or not UMAT practise test2 is the same as HPAT Practise test 2? Ideally I'd really be looking to hear from someone who has already got both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

ive actually done nothing in regards to the hpat this far. Should i spend all this week on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Jaafa wrote: »
    Thats average only a bit higher than last year. Besides with 625 places that means we have a 1 in 5 chance of getting a place. Pretty good odds if you ask me.

(of course thats if you get the points, but there'll be people out of that 3000 who won't so it probably evens out.)
    Ok, if about 20% of the people who sit the exam can get into medicine, let's say that they are all in the top 25% of test takers, giving and taking a few people who decide not to do med after all, or maybe do a poor LC. Then, looking at last year's curve, that would mean that all people accepted in to medicine courses would have HPAT points of 165+. These points are standardised, so people can transfer them from one year to the following year, so HPAT results will have to stay roughly constant.
    Added to maximum leaving cert points of 560, and LC points can and do trend upwards, that would imply a theoretical maximum cut off entry of 725.

I think it would be nearly impossible to get more than a couple of points higher than that, but I wouldn't expect the points to be much lower than that either.

harmo08 wrote: »
    No, we wont be given paper for rough work but you can do your rough work on the question paper.

Are you sure? I got an email from hpat the other day and it said that an example of "unethical behaviour" would include:
    Tearing, folding, and/or defacing any part of the test book;

I always assumed you could write on the test book until I got that email which me astray! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

I wrote all over my test book, most people did

Fair enough! That's me happy! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

Don't take my word as law though! Maybe they'll suddenly decide to enforce their silly rule. I doubt the people invigilating will know. I was there last year and they let someone go back to the 1st section when she was done with the 2nd. .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Musefan wrote: »
    I've been thinking. I took the HPAT in 2009. None of the people I talked to were able to complete each section fully (This is the norm for the HPAT from what I heard in my prep couse). If questions are weighted according to how people performed on them, then does that mean that questions at the end of each section are scored more, as fewer people could attempt them, and therefore fewer got them right? If that were to be correct (I am in no way assuming it is, or reccomending this), surely attempting some questions from the end of the paper will bring your total up somewhat? Disregarding completion factors, fatigue is undoubtedly an important factor, and because fatigue can affect your processing time and ability, then perhaps questions toward the end of each section are answered worse that those at the beginning when there are no fatigue effects?
    Everyone's question papers have the questions ordered differently (or so I was told at the prep course, and tbh, it makes sense). What might be Q1 for you could be Q22 for someone else. That's why it's very important to get your test booklet number correct on your answer sheet. :)

I've completely neglected my mocks for this mid-term. LC work will be resuming again next week tbh, I'm just completely discounting the mocks. Anyone in the same boat?

jumpguy wrote: »
    Everyone's question papers have the questions ordered differently (or so I was told at the prep course, and tbh, it makes sense). What might be Q1 for you could be Q22 for someone else. That's why it's very important to get your test booklet number correct on your answer sheet. :)

I've completely neglected my mocks for this mid-term. LC work will be resuming again next week tbh, I'm just completely discounting the mocks. Anyone in the same boat?

Hmm, I don't recall having an answer booklet number when I sat the HPAT! Perhaps they changed it, or perhaps I am completely wrong!

On another note, I think it is an advantage to sit the HPAT in the O'Reilly hall rather than the RDS.

The O'Reilly hall is warm & more comfortable than the RDS. If anyone is sitting the HPAT in the RDS this year (presuming they are being held there) then wear plenty of layers. The industries & serpentine halls are absolutely freezing sometimes. It was so off putting during the exam. Having said that, I'm not sure that people are sitting it in the RDS this year.

If you're commuting there, and it's going to take a long time, then I would recommend booking into a B and B or hotel the night before. I had to travel from 5 a.m. to make sure I arrived in time & I was so tired when I sat it the first time, because of this, coupled with the loss of sleep due to nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Musefan wrote: »
    Hmm, I don't recall having an answer booklet number when I sat the HPAT! Perhaps they changed it, or perhaps I am completely wrong!
    It's not your answer sheet that's numbered, it's your question booklet, and you have to fill in that number to your answer sheet (the space for it is on the left, beside where you put in your gender). :)

Oh how things have changed :) (or how things have escaped my memory!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dra1ocht

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if anyone has the test booklet for 2011- I'm way too late to order it online now- I rang them and they said it might be best to try and get one . I've been using last years one but didn't notice that the new one was available. if anyone has a spare copy- I'd be willing to pay for it of course.

I'm not endorsing photocopying either but...

Yep, The Pre's are pushed aside for me also. They're an awful interference for those doing the HPAT.

With regard to the HPAT, What do people think would be the best strategy?

It says on the Practice book that you should first
    Answer as many questions as possible
    and
    not spend too much time on any one question

Anyone else agree, or should we fall into the "trap" (for want of a better word) of doing questions carefully and getting say only three quarters of the test done within the allocated time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Junai_Dahma

Um, stupid question, I know; but how does one go about filling the Admission Ticket?

I've been (un?)lucky enough to have my mocks over with last week, so now I have little more to think about other than the HPAT....getting nervous.........

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

lctake2 wrote: »
    I wrote all over my test book, most people did
    There's a question booklet and an answer sheet. I'm interpreting that as the answer sheet must not be defaced or torn or folded in any way. There are machines who mark these things, and they wouldn't be able to deal with damaged sheets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Think you may be wrong there, I remember talking afterwards about section 1 and we all had the same first question, last question, second last and all that (from what we could remember after coming out). Its important to write down your question book number on your sheet so they can be sure that you handed it back up, otherwise your score is not valid.
    Mr. Bean. wrote: »
    With regard to the HPAT, What do people think would be the best strategy?

Anyone else agree, or should we fall into the "trap" (for want of a better word) of doing questions carefully and getting say only three quarters of the test done within the allocated time.

Figure out first how much time you have per question. My advise would be DON'T spend a set amount of time on each question. For section 1 mainly, the first few questions are very short, usually a couple of sentences and then short answer choices. There is no need to spend over a minute on these. Don't stare at the shorter questions right up until the time allocated and then move on, concentrate on them, do them properly and answer them carefully but be efficient. When you move onto question 20 or 30 and you need to read bar charts, statistics, long paragraphs, you will need those extra few seconds that you didn't use in the shorter questions.

The way I went about it was: don't set the 1 minute and 20 seconds per question and have to look at the clock every minute. Set an interval of 5/10/15 minutes where you have to have a certain amount done. Try and save time in the earlier questions, to make up for the extra time you need later. Applies more to section 1 and to some extent section 2.

As for rough work, we were just allowed to use the question book but don't write on the answer sheet. Don't see why they couldn't let you use it when some things just need rough work to figure out.

• Advertisement

is anyone else really nervous:(

Sunny!! wrote: »
    is anyone else really nervous:(

Now why would I do a pointless thing like that? ;)

But really theres no point in getting worked up about it. Either you do well or not. You've done all you can at this stage really.

Now why would I do a pointless thing like that? ;)

But really theres no point in getting worked up about it. Either you do well or not. You've done all you can at this stage really.

ive actually done nothing haha

ive actually done nothing haha

Well then clearly you do not want this very badly. Consequently I'd start to think if this really is the course you want to do. No offence.

Well then clearly you do not want this very badly. Consequently I'd start to think if this really is the course you want to do. No offence.

like points wise every things good. Ive got the practice booklet and tried the odd q, section C worries me

like points wise every things good. Ive got the practice booklet and tried the odd q, section C worries me

Well then you've done something! :D Section C is the worst for most people so they'll mark that easier hopefully.

thank god i thought it was only me:D. I love section B:)

Has anyone found out?
    I'm really confused about this too!!!

I asked twice in the "Everything medecine and Hpat for 2011" thread, but it seems to have been ignored.....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Its the number on your passport/ driver's licence. which ever you are bringing to the centre with you. :)

• Advertisement

Its the number on your passport/ driver's licence. which ever you are bringing to the centre with you. :)

Thank you so much!!! my mini-panic attack is over!!!:D

Advertisement