Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Toastghost

Anyone ese have trouble with the questions on the be tits egg cycle?

It wrecked my head I tell ya .......

Other wise test was fine except for the passage about the newly married woman trying to get a job with the head master.

Can we compare answers here too or is that prohibited?:confused::/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Toastghost wrote: »
    Anyone ese have trouble with the questions on the be tits egg cycle?

It wrecked my head I tell ya .......

Other wise test was fine except for the passage about the newly married woman trying to get a job with the head master.

Can we compare answers here too or is that prohibited?:confused::/
    Nah, there's not much point. It'll only stress people out, the test's over and done with and comparing answers will only make you feel bad (Unless you've gotten everything right of course :D)

For the record though... I think I may have gotten the same answers for the Councillors questions. Either we're both right or we're both wrong. Let's hope for the former.

Edit: The one about the egg cycle was a nightmare. They gave you an awful lot of information and I wasted a lot of time reading it through. One look at the graph should have been enough though as the only thing that changed between 1980 and 2000 was that peak food had come earlier to coincide with hatching.

Nah, there's not much point. It'll only stress people out, the test's over and done with and comparing answers will only make you feel bad (Unless you've gotten everything right of course :D)

For the record though... I think I may have gotten the same answers for the Councillors questions. Either we're both right or we're both wrong. Let's hope for the former.

I know ya but I'ld just liek to be certain about that questions as it was curfudling :/

And I hope so too :)

Anyone else stuck for time in sec 3 i made guesses in the last 3 q's.

They were educated guesses though,by that i meant "a hasnt come up i na while sure why not pick that.

ALso last question aobut answers anyone else get a sorta spiral formation in sec 2 +3? aswell as a string of d's (like 5/6) in sec 1?????

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Derick990

They were educated guesses though,by that i meant "a hasnt come up i na while sure why not pick that.

ALso last question aobut answers anyone else get a sorta spiral formation in sec 2 +3? aswell as a string of d's (like 5/6) in sec 1?????

That was my ethos for most of the test. And yeah I think I got something a lot like a spiral and string of d's. I ended up with loads of ds in section 1.

Yeah. I went at least 10 or so questions without a single D in section 3. I wanted to go back and change one of the answers but it was just that none of Ds matched.

• Advertisement

Could anyone clarify something for me? In that question, it was an excerpt from a novel I think, anyway it was about the landlady and the guy named Patrick. What did ye put down for the 1st Q. It was something like why does Patrick lie to her in lines x-y? The two likely answers were either because he was attracted to her or he felt guilty for the inconvenience. I said it was because he was attracted to her but I have my doubts. Anyone else find that hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Derick990 wrote: »
    Could anyone clarify something for me? In that question, it was an excerpt from a novel I think, anyway it was about the landlady and the guy named Patrick. What did ye put down for the 1st Q. It was something like why does Patrick lie to her in lines x-y? The two likely answers were either because he was attracted to her or he felt guilty for the inconvenience. I said it was because he was attracted to her but I have my doubts. Anyone else find that hard?

I said it was because he felt guilty for inconveniencing her.

Jaafa wrote: »

Thats what I was afraid of, couldn't really decide, I thought both could be right. Both were true at least. That the problem with a lot of questions deciding between the two right answers.

Ya same here. :) its nice to know i got some of them right ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Was your Q1 the one with the probability of drawing an ace from a deck of cards? It threw me off a bit. Usually the test begins with a different style of question.

Question 1, 2009 HPAT. Had a feeling they were into repeating questions from year to year.

• Advertisement

Ya same here. :) its nice to know i got some of them right ! :)

Thank you for assuming I'm automatically right. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I've got a feeling that the order of answers and the order of questions differs from booklet to booklet. You might get the same questions as everyone else but the order of the answers might be different.

Shiiiiiit.. I coppied some of the answers off the dude beside me! :pac: I have no chance anyway, only got 3/4 of sections 1 and 3 done and had to just colour in random answers for the final quarter in the last 30 seconds. :( I'm not too bothered though because I didn't tell any of my family or friends that I was doing the HPAT. Got away with it so far anyway :)

But didn't he mention that it was late but even so he 'wasn't ashamed' of knocking. That ruled out guilt for me. Then he said later that she was 'younger and prettier than he expected'. He didn't really expand on that attraction though, it seemed like just a passing remark. His lie was that the connection was late (Or something to that effect). He didn't seem too guilty for inconveniencing her. That's why I chose "He has a tendency to embellish his past experiences". He added details (The missed connection) to give him a credible reason for his lateness to save face. It was a difficult question though, I may have been completely off the mark. I took the word embellish on its literal meaning.

Question 1, 2009 HPAT. Had a feeling they were into repeating questions from year to year.
    That explains why they're so protective of the exam booklets. If someone managed to take one out of the exam hall...

I've got a feeling that the order of answers and the order of questions differs from booklet to booklet. You might get the same questions as everyone else but the order of the answers might be different.

You sure about that? Of everyone i've asked they started witha probability questions and got that string of d's i mentioned in sec 1.

Though it is a sensible counter to copying answers.

But didn't he mention that it was late but even so he 'wasn't ashamed' of knocking. That ruled out guilt for me. Then he said later that she was 'younger and prettier than he expected'. He didn't really expand on that attraction though, it seemed like just a passing remark. His lie was that the connection was late (Or something to that effect). He didn't seem too guilty for inconveniencing her. That's why I chose "He has a tendency to embellish his past experiences". He added details (The missed connection) to give him a credible reason for his lateness to save face. It was a difficult question though, I may have been completely off the mark. I took the word embellish on its literal meaning.

Hmmm I see what you mean and when you put it that way that may well be the answer.

The tricky thing with those questions is that often 2 or more of the answers are partially right so you have to pick the 'more' right question. It is easy to see it one way or another.

You sure about that? Of everyone i've asked they started witha probability questions and got that string of d's i mentioned in sec 1.

Though it is a sensible counter to copying answers.
    It's just something that I assumed they'd be doing. Why else would they have different versions of booklets? Most people started and finished on the same question so the difference couldn't be just question order. I don't actually know that for definite though. ACER are awfully secretive about how the exam is marked.
    Hmmm I see what you mean and when you put it that way that may well be the answer.

The tricky thing with those questions is that often 2 or more of the answers are partially right so you have to pick the 'more' right question. It is easy to see it one way or another.
    It's pretty irritating alright. Depending on how you view a situation more than one answer could suit but at the end of the day only one answer is actually right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Original_Name

Everyone stop stressing about the exam. No way you can know how you did. Even if you're sure you did terribly, you still could come away with 100% percentile. Best thing to do now is forget about it really.

Also I'ld love to get a 2nd opinion on how people answered the question about how an employer increased productivity with the 2 types of vans????

All for answeres were very plausible.

I can recall the stats too.

van 1 person 1 26 units
    van 1 person 2 25 units
    van 2 person 1 33 units
    van 2 person 2 33 units

answer 1 person 1 is more preductive (very plausible)
    answe 2 van 2 allows for more productivity ( very plausible)
    answer 3 van 2 allows for a great increase in productivity for person 2 rathe rperson 1 again very plausible.

I chose van 2 (the Triat) as being the factor that allowed for greater productivity.

Van 1 = Mondo
    Van 2 = Triat

Person 1 Mondo 25 Triat 33
    Person 2 Mondo 26 Triat 33

Person 2 is more productive than than person 1 in the Mondo only. They are equal when they drive the triat in productivity. As both Person 1 and Person 2 achieved the same increased level of productivity in the Triat it can be said that it's the van and not the driver that most influences productivity.

Stop posting questions though! I get worried reading them now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Frencosino

Hey!
    I've Just Been Viewing This Thread And I Am In Total Concurrence With The General Trends! I'm Just Wondering If Anybody Knows How The HPAT Ireland Is Marked And Whether Certain Questions Have Greater "Weight" Attached To Them Or If All Questions Are Worth Equal Marks. Does Anybody Know?

Thanks In Advance!

Frencosino wrote: »
    Hey!
    I've Just Been Viewing This Thread And I Am In Total Concurrence With The General Trends! I'm Just Wondering If Anybody Knows How The HPAT Ireland Is Marked And Whether Certain Questions Have Greater "Weight" Attached To Them Or If All Questions Are Worth Equal Marks. Does Anybody Know?

Thanks In Advance!
    Questions that most people got right are given fewer marks than those that only a few people got right.

I.e. The harder everyone finds the question the more marks it's worth.

I chose van 2 (the Triat) as being the factor that allowed for greater productivity.

Van 1 = Mondo
    Van 2 = Triat

Person 1 Mondo 25 Triat 33
    Person 2 Mondo 26 Triat 33

Person 2 is more productive than than person 1 in the Mondo only. They are equal when they drive the triat in productivity. As both Person 1 and Person 2 achieved the same increased level of productivity in the Triat it can be said that it's the van and not the driver that most influences productivity.

Stop posting questions though! I get worried reading them now.

yeah sorry I'll stop posting now but i chose the answer sayiing the 2nd perosn was more preductive in the triat as he recieved and increase in pruductivity greater that person 1's increase.I hope this is right as the piece provided said the employer was look for and increase in productivity.

Hey!

Thanks In Advance!

It's all marked to a certain bell graph to maintain the percentiles. But basically each section has the same number of marks and the marks allocated depend on how many people got it right. The questions everyone gets right are worth less than the ones only a few get right, but basically it's not really set in stone and highly variable. Thats my understanding maybe someone else can confirm

It's just something that I assumed they'd be doing. Why else would they have different versions of booklets? Most people started and finished on the same question so the difference couldn't be just question order. I don't actually know that for definite though. ACER are awfully secretive about how the exam is marked.

I don't think the question order is different. I'm also not sure that the answer order is different although it'd make a lot more sense. It wouldn't be fair for people to be encountering different questions at different times.

It would be such a hassle when the computer is marking the questions though, to have to change the settings for how the answers were laid out, as well as for when the weighting of the questions are being set. Who knows.
    Hey!

Thanks In Advance!

Yes, a question answered right by a majority carries less marks than one answered by a minority, but each section is worth the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Frencosino

Questions that most people got right are given fewer marks than those that only a few people got right.

I.e. The harder everyone finds the question the more marks it's worth.

Ok! That's Kinda' Heartless!:D

Are You Sure Or Is This Just An Assumption Because I Heard ACER Are Very "Secretive" With Their Marking Schemes And Their Corrections Overall?

It would be such a hassle when the computer is marking the questions though, to have to change the settings for how the answers were laid out, as well as for when the weighting of the questions are being set. Who knows.
    It wouldn't be that hard really. The way i'd believe the exam is marked is that the computer reading the exam scans the booklet number. Say your booklet number is 00500. It finds the dataset for 00500 and in that it has a list of the answers relative to the question number. I.e. 1A 2C 3D 4A 5A e.t.c. Then it marks all the papers without any weighting. The computer generates statistics for the best answered and worst answered questions and gives each question weighting and adjusts the marks received for each candidate as per the weighting.

That's all just speculation though. It seems plausible to me, why else would they bother with multiple examination booklets?

That's all just speculation though. It seems plausible to me, why else would they bother with multiple examination booklets?

How do you mean?

How do you mean?
    Everyone gets different examination booklets. The people I talked to after the exam had some completely different questions to me. Didn't you have to put down your "booklet number" on the answer sheet back when you did the HPAT last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

Everyone gets different examination booklets. The people I talked to after the exam had some completely different questions to me. Didn't you have to put down your "booklet number" on the answer sheet back when you did the HPAT last year?

This is quite true, i heard and know this aswell.

Advertisement