Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Derick990

Everyone gets different examination booklets. The people I talked to after the exam had some completely different questions to me. Didn't you have to put down your "booklet number" on the answer sheet back when you did the HPAT last year?

Are you sure? That seems fairly unlikely, I imagine the question order is different thus the booklet numbers but are you sure the questions themselves are different. After all how can they call it a test and compare our marks if everyone took a different test?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mcrdotcom

Everyone gets the same questions because the marks are allocated to each question depending on the success rate of the whole group of candidates. If one question is easy and everyone gets it right, barely any marks are awarded. If its a difficult question which very few (say, 1 in 10) get it correct, then it is allocated high marks.

Therefore each test has to be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Everyone gets different examination booklets. The people I talked to after the exam had some completely different questions to me. Didn't you have to put down your "booklet number" on the answer sheet back when you did the HPAT last year?

I really, really doubt that, it wouldn't be fair and you couldn't weight questions if they weren't answered by everyone who took it.

I took it 2 years ago and there was a lot of discussion on thread at the time about different questions, and I recognised them all. The purpose of writing your booklet number onto your answer sheet is also to make sure you handed up your question booklet at the end, as if you don't, your score is not valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I really, really doubt that, it wouldn't be fair and you couldn't weight questions if they weren't answered by everyone who took it.

I took it 2 years ago and there was a lot of discussion on thread at the time about different questions, and I recognised them all. The purpose of writing your booklet number onto your answer sheet is also to make sure you handed up your question booklet at the end, as if you don't, your score is not valid.

Everyone gets the same questions but they're not in the same order for everyone. Thats why you had to the booklet number on your answer sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Jaafa wrote: »
    Everyone gets the same questions but they're not in the same order for everyone. Thats why you had to the booklet number on your answer sheet.
    No point really worrying about it at this stage, but are you sure? It's a test that would have to be made as fair as possible. The questions are laid out so that the shorter ones are first and then get gradually longer as you go on...you wouldn't know unless you'd memorised the order you had it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

No point really worrying about it at this stage, but are you sure? It's a test that would have to be made as fair as possible. The questions are laid out so that the shorter ones are first and then get gradually longer as you go on...you wouldn't know unless you'd memorised the order you had it?
    Maybe they just mix up the short questions and stuff, instead of scattering them randomly all over the paper. :) Disappointing boards HPAT crowd this year, did ANYONE here do it?! :P

Well tbh we were packed pretty close in the exam hall and even as everyone opened the first page you could tell from the pictures that the questions were not in the same order. A few people I talked to afterwards seemed to notice the same thing. Thats not to say any of us were trying to cheat. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭beargrylls93

I actually made an account on this website just to post in this forum so i dono how to do this really !

what do people think theyre chances of gettin into medecine are ??

in that paragrapgh about the woman and patrick, the late lad, does anyone think that your man was over analysing the situation by taking every word into account , thats how i'm guessing a lot of people ran out on time. they have obviously left certain key words to leave a good trail to the answer.......... this man was obviously embarrassed for inconveniencing her after their introduction, her tone was sharp and he was taken aback....... simple as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 k.stewart

I actually made an account on this website just to post in this forum so i dono how to do this really !

in that paragrapgh about the woman and patrick, the late lad, does anyone think that your man was over analysing the situation by taking every word into account , thats how i'm guessing a lot of people ran out on time. they have obviously left certain key words to leave a good trail to the answer.......... this man was obviously embarrassed for inconveniencing her after their introduction, her tone was sharp and he was taken aback....... simple as

You really think so? :/ He didn't seem that embarrassed to me.. nor did he seem to be feeling bad about inconveniencing her.. I said he was attracted to her!:P cause he seemed more nervous and awkward than anything(in my opinion) and he did realize that she was younger and prettier than he was expecting.. and she didn't seem too angry about him being late, as she only said one thing about it and then she moved on.. I dunno.. I'm probably wrong.. I wish they'd let us see our tests afterwards so we could see where we went wrong!
    The hard thing about section 2 is that it's really a matter of opinion.. no two people would feel exactly the same in the same situation. Everyone's different.. but I guess it's just picking the answer that the majority would feel/think.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

in that paragrapgh about the woman and patrick, the late lad, does anyone think that your man was over analysing the situation by taking every word into account , thats how i'm guessing a lot of people ran out on time.
    I had five minutes or so left at the end of section 2! I thought it all through in thirty seconds and chose the answer I thought was best. Surely if he was embarrassed for inconveniencing her he would have apologised. He would have said "Sorry. I missed the connection". He left out an apology from his excuse so that ruled out guilt for me.

I was looking at suggested approaches for section II on an Australian website for the UMAT and they said that many of the questions rely on a single verb. I read 'embellish' and saw that he embellished his true reason for his lateness to paint himself in a better light to his new landlord.

I dunno, just my take on it. I could be completely wrong. Let's hope I wasn't :)

• Advertisement

Same here, I made this account to post here aswell. At the moment my chances are probably 50/50. I imagine i got about 160 hpat so to get in at around 720 id need a full 560 in the LC. Very tough but I might do it.
    P.S I love the name, Bear Grylls is a gosh darn hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Derick990 wrote: »
    Same here, I made this account to post here aswell. At the moment my chances are probably 50/50. I imagine i got about 160 hpat so to get in at around 720 id need a full 560 in the LC. Very tough but I might do it.
    P.S I love the name, Bear Grylls is a gosh darn hero.

Just a reminder to anyone reading this thread who has applied for medicine, and who is not aware of the points weighting, I assume the above poster is referring to 560 as being representative of 600 points in stantdard points calculation. After 550, each 5 points is counted as one point. Just to clarify for anyone who is confused :)

A score of 720 for medicine = 160 in the HPAT and 600 in the leaving, if we remove the interference of the weighting. Alternatively, a score of 180 in the HPAT and 545 in the HPAT would equal the 720 mark.

k.stewart : i dono i was readin it over and over and i guess by the fourth of fifth time i thought that they put in 'embellish his past experiences; as an answer to hook for some people, perhaps we were supposed to read into it more than just accept the fanciest answer, but tbh what do i know i just took the test, didn write it.........

partyatmygaff: you said that he wasnt embarrassed but at the end of the paragraph we see how uneasy he was, when he was relieved to go and see his room, his being late made him quite nervous by the looks of it, g2 wait for the answers :)

Derick990: beargrylls is an animal............................

Musefan wrote: »
    Just a reminder to anyone reading this thread who has applied for medicine, and who is not aware of the points weighting, I assume the above poster is referring to 560 as being representative of 600 points in stantdard points calculation. After 550, each 5 points is counted as one point. Just to clarify for anyone who is confused :)

A score of 720 for medicine = 160 in the HPAT and 600 in the leaving, if we remove the interference of the weighting. Alternatively, a score of 180 in the HPAT and 545 in the HPAT would equal the 720 mark.

Your math skills fail you my friend. ;)

Your math skills fail you my friend. ;)
    That and he said 180 in the HPAT and 545 in the HPAT.

That'd be some HPAT score alright :D

That and he said 180 in the HPAT and 545 in the HPAT.

That'd be some HPAT score alright :D

id say ell do fair well now in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

Is the Medicine crowd smaller this year or what!! Barely anyone on this thread! last year's thread had like 100,000 views +

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

doctorg wrote: »
    Is the Medicine crowd smaller this year or what!!
    I hope so! :pac:

Is the Medicine crowd smaller this year or what!! Barely anyone on this thread! last year's thread had like 100,000 views +

sure nobody really uses chat boards these days, its fairly slow, the odd person , tell people you know to go onto it ......

Nah its just that most of them have lives.....unlucky us. :(

• Advertisement

ha thats not true , knowing how to type doesnt mean we've nothin else ta do, some of us have steak to cook tonight..........

Is the Medicine crowd smaller this year or what!!
    Admit it everyone. We're all secretly hoping for that :pac:

harsh to say but if a few thousand suddenly disappeared i wouldn kick up a fuss..................

harsh to say but if a few thousand suddenly disappeared i wouldn kick up a fuss..................

Don't think anyone would. Anyone know how many places there are anyway. About a thousand right?

Derick990 wrote: »
    Don't think anyone would. Anyone know how many places there are anyway. About a thousand right?

625. However these disappearances you speak of can be arranged......

therere 60 olaces in ucd anyways i just looked it up so goin on that theres prob not a thousand in the country as there is only 5 places doin it ??

625. However these disappearances you speak of can be arranged......

fair amount a places thats good news. if you can wipe out all the weirdos that were at my hpat centre thatd really be appreciated...........

fair amount a places thats good news. if you can wipe out all the weirdos that were at my hpat centre thatd really be appreciated...........

It will be done....just as soon as I finish with the ones at my center.

It will be done....just as soon as I finish with the ones at my center.

when i walked out afterwards all the indian parents were waitin in the lobby, all the irish parents were down in the pub..........

then there was that lad with his jeans tucked in..

were there people in everyones centre who looked like they were about to cry ????

• Advertisement

when i walked out afterwards all the indian parents were waitin in the lobby, all the irish parents were down in the pub..........

then there was that lad with his jeans tucked in..

were there people in everyones centre who looked like they were about to cry ????

Nope was heard stories of people crying at last years Hpats but no waterworks where I was.

Advertisement