Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭beargrylls93

im literally freakin out waitin for the results..........

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Derick990

therere 60 olaces in ucd anyways i just looked it up so goin on that theres prob not a thousand in the country as there is only 5 places doin it ??

Okay heres 2010 intake:
    UCD:(According to a prospectus) 120
    Trinity: 109
    NUIG: 118 (This year i think they have increased.)
    UCC: I don't know but its safe to assume at least 100?
    RSCI: I can't find this either but as I'm sure it's smaller I'll say 90

=Educated guess 715 places.
    They are scarce.

Derick990 wrote: »
    Okay heres 2010 intake:

They are scarce.

id fukn loooooooooooooooooove to get into it an hopin for bout 530 in the leavin , got 480 in x mas and its lookin similar in the mocks but to be honest i havent done much , better pound in the work ........ :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

There's about a 1 in 4.8 chance of getting a place in Medicine this year by the look of it. Not great odds but they aren't terrible either.

In my test centre people looked completely nonchalant about the whole thing. No crying and no one looked particularly anxious or worried. I wouldn't know all that well as I was a bit preoccupied with the actual exam...

id fukn loooooooooooooooooove to get into it an hopin for bout 530 in the leavin , got 480 in x mas and its lookin similar in the mocks but to be honest i havent done much , better pound in the work ........ :(

Pretty much the same boat here. Really hope I can get in and I wish us both the best of luck. If I don't I'll repeat. Incidently, how many people will repeat if they don't get in first time?

• Advertisement

There's about a 1 in 4.8 chance of getting a place in Medicine this year by the look of it. Not great odds but they aren't terrible either.

In my test centre people looked completely nonchalant about the whole thing. No crying and no one looked particularly anxious or worried. I wouldn't know all that well as I was a bit preoccupied with the actual exam...

Everyone seemed pretty relaxed at my test center too. Inside though I bet the were screaming "Oh s**t, Oh s**t...."

Okay heres 2010 intake:

They are scarce.
    Pretty much the same boat here. Really hope I can get in and I wish us both the best of luck. If I don't I'll repeat. Incidently, how many people will repeat if they don't get in first time?

i propably will repeat like i seen the new maths course that we'd have to do and its retarded like all pictures and solour coded :D

where did the fidure 4.8 come out of if you dont mind writin it out ?? i cant find figures for applicants anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Everyone seemed pretty relaxed at my test center too. Inside though I bet the were screaming "Oh s**t, Oh s**t...."

The guy in front of me started doing deep breathing exercises..!

i propably will repeat like i seen the new maths course that we'd have to do and its retarded like all pictures and solour coded :D

where did the fidure 4.8 come out of if you dont mind writin it out ?? i cant find figures for applicants anywhere
    Estimated 3200 applicants (Heard this on boards a while ago) and there's approximately 715 places.

The guy in front of me started doing deep breathing exercises..!

did you slap him for the crack ??

• Advertisement

Estimated 3200 applicants (Heard this on boards a while ago) and there's approximately 715 places.

hearing therere so few applicants make me quite confident actually..........

I like the sound of that and you get more points. Also Irish will be completely changed there's more oral which should be simple enough. All in all good times to repeat.

I like the sound of that and you get more points. Also Irish will be completely changed there's more oral which should be simple enough. All in all good times to repeat.

statistics is the new focus of the maths course i was takin a look at it this mornin, theres a full chapter called 'constructions', which is like drawin circles on triangles :D:D

i do pass irish i never saw the point in it , its physics maths chemistry tech graph for me........ no crack

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Je le serai :)

i do pass irish i never saw the point in it , its physics maths chemistry tech graph for me........ no crack

Tough group of subjects there, alot of technical stuff, I used to love tech graph but since our school brought in DCG i f***ing hate it, the worlds most boring subject. Chemistry on the other hand is just plain hard.

Tough group of subjects there, alot of technical stuff, I used to love tech graph but since our school brought in DCG i f***ing hate it, the worlds most boring subject. Chemistry on the other hand is just plain hard.

ha ya french is a **** alright !! ah dcg is good but god that project was hard, took me up until literally the very last minute .........

our chemistry teacher is leaving and thats not bad news cause she cant teach, the fact that she's gettin paid 45+ grand to let us teach ourselves wrecks my very soul..........

dono what happened i replied to this and it just disappeared !!??

the only hard subject is franch really , chemistry's not too bad. our teacher is leaving and thats not bad news, wrecks my head that she gets 45+ grand every year to let me teach myself ........

tech graph is some **** aswell, i was working literally until the very last second before it was packaged up ........

OH THERE it is , it came up again !!

ha ya french is a **** alright !! ah dcg is good but god that project was hard, took me up until literally the very last minute .........

our chemistry teacher is leaving and thats not bad news cause she cant teach, the fact that she's gettin paid 45+ grand to let us teach ourselves wrecks my very soul..........

My DCG project was crap in the end, I wish we had something like last years that would have been easy. One guy in my class did a batman sat nav, the bat-nav. I can't compete with that.

As for your chemistry teacher it's the same thing with my DCG and Irish teachers. DCG guy knows absolutly nothing, once he got stuck on a question on the board and 'subtly' asked one of us to finish it off. The irish guy just gives us news paper articles and big huge dictionaries, tells us to translate them then sits down and fiddles with his i-phone. Your lucky, I wish they were leaving. :C

My DCG project was crap in the end, I wish we had something like last years that would have been easy. One guy in my class did a batman sat nav, the bat-nav. I can't compete with that.

As for your chemistry teacher it's the same thing with my DCG and Irish teachers. DCG guy knows absolutly nothing, once he got stuck on a question on the board and 'subtly' asked one of us to finish it off. The irish guy just gives us news paper articles and big huge dictionaries, tells us to translate them then sits down and fiddles with his i-phone. Your lucky, I wish they were leaving. :C

ha i wonder where your man got his bat nav idea i dont suppose it was off the sample briefs given out no :L ?? he will so get cut down for that, plagiarism at its' best :L i did the Samsung SGH-F480 and the Clingo universal mount of you wanna take a look at it , after my mocks are over i can get another epicture thing sone of you wanna c it ??

i know loads a schools where they were allowed to stay after school and break and everything to get it done and we were restricted to just class time the whole way, with pretty much no help......

tell my chemistry teacher every day that shes **** i dont think shes listening...................... croke park agreement yut!!

• Advertisement

ha i wonder where your man got his bat nav idea i dont suppose it was off the sample briefs given out no :L ?? he will so get cut down for that, plagiarism at its' best :L i did the Samsung SGH-F480 and the Clingo universal mount of you wanna take a look at it , after my mocks are over i can get another epicture thing sone of you wanna c it ??

i know loads a schools where they were allowed to stay after school and break and everything to get it done and we were restricted to just class time the whole way, with pretty much no help......

tell my chemistry teacher every day that shes **** i dont think shes listening...................... croke park agreement yut!!

Huh, I didn't know there were sample briefs, they might have been helpful since I had no idea what I was supposed to do for each output most of the time so I pretty much guessed everything, the teacher said it was alright so fingers crossed. I'd take a look at yours, no problem. I can describe mine in about three sentences. Red with metal trim. Shape of a Samsung TV. Thin. So simple it took about 3 classes to make and most of that was working the speakers. The only hard part of my project was modelling this awkward thing.

http://www.portablegps-navigation.com/garmin/garmin-streetpilot-c530

As for the schools staying in late, we did that a couple of times and you could go in at break. After all that though we still only sealed the envelopes today, some people are still burning disks. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the finish date the 18th of February?

Huh, I didn't know there were sample briefs, they might have been helpful since I had no idea what I was supposed to do for each output most of the time so I pretty much guessed everything, the teacher said it was alright so fingers crossed. I'd take a look at yours, no problem. I can describe mine in about three sentences. Red with metal trim. Shape of a Samsung TV. Thin. So simple it took about 3 classes to make and most of that was working the speakers. The only hard part of my project was modelling this awkward thing.

http://www.portablegps-navigation.com/garmin/garmin-streetpilot-c530

As for the schools staying in late, we did that a couple of times and you could go in at break. After all that though we still only sealed the envelopes today, some people are still burning disks. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the finish date the 18th of February?

ya it was the 18th, maybe your school got an wxtension though ??

ya it was the 18th, maybe your school got an wxtension though ??

Must have. Ah well I'm done now, it makes no difference as long as it gets marked. Back to more thread related question. Anyone know how important chemistry is in med school, I assume that there would be the chemical reactions in the body and stuff like that but how much of an advantage would it be going into med school to have done it in the LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

Am i the only one who found it hard?

Must have. Ah well I'm done now, it makes no difference as long as it gets marked. Back to more thread related question. Anyone know how important chemistry is in med school, I assume that there would be the chemical reactions in the body and stuff like that but how much of an advantage would it be going into med school to have done it in the LC?
    Loads of Chemistry in Medicine. Doing it for the LC apparently makes the first few Biochemistry lectures a bit more manageable. LC Biology is apparently near enough useless however for Medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gaga_fan

Hi Sparagon,

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who found it hard too. I did it last year and missed out on an offer marginally and I really feel that this year's exam was far tougher than 2010's....I thought I was much better prepared for it this year but clearly not. I keep getting flashbacks from it....nightmare!!! Did anyone think section 2 was a bit off the wall in places?? It's usually the easiest for me but I found it tricky on Saturday...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Loads of Chemistry in Medicine. Doing it for the LC apparently makes the first few Biochemistry lectures a bit more manageable. LC Biology is apparently near enough useless however for Medicine.
    Exaggeration on both counts there :P For biochem, leaving cert chemistry will help you a bit. You wouldn't die without it. The only thing that's semi useful is organic chem, and generally what structures are like, and symbols. Biology is useful. Some people in my class had to ask what an artery was, so that would help there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Biology is the furthest thing from useless. Modules don't start from the absolute basics so its very handy to know the general idea of the systems, location of body organs, how the body works before delving into the more complicated stuff. It was weird to think that in anatomy labs people wouldn't have a clue of the position of the liver or kidneys, or like theowen said, not know what an artery is etc. Other parts of the LC biology course like diffusion, membranes, the cell cycle and genetics are VERY useful to have a good base in, for both biochemistry and physiology so far.

I found that premed chemistry brought everyone up to leaving cert standard, whereas premed biology was very varied and there was very little human biology involved at all (it was an undenominated science subject, not just a medical lecture). Chemistry, its very handy to know the basics in, but the modules are not centred around it...its just nice to already know some things and not have to worry in a lecture when you're hearing the word "mole", or "chemical equation" for the first time.

Physics, from what I've heard, hasn't come in useful for anyone so far :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cal Lightman

So how did yee all do in the mocks? I want to see if i still have a chance after my terrible results :p

• Advertisement

So how did yee all do in the mocks? I want to see if i still have a chance after my terrible results :p

Havn't got many of mine back so far.
    History A1
    Biology A1
    (My two favourite and best subjects)
    Irish D3
    (In previous posts I mentioned how poo my teacher is.)

Everyone else?

Advertisement