Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

So how did yee all do in the mocks? I want to see if i still have a chance after my terrible results :p

Don't worry about the mocks is what I say! They give an idea of time constraints but a lot can and will change between now and June!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

But didn't he mention that it was late but even so he 'wasn't ashamed' of knocking. That ruled out guilt for me. Then he said later that she was 'younger and prettier than he expected'. He didn't really expand on that attraction though, it seemed like just a passing remark. His lie was that the connection was late (Or something to that effect). He didn't seem too guilty for inconveniencing her. That's why I chose "He has a tendency to embellish his past experiences". He added details (The missed connection) to give him a credible reason for his lateness to save face. It was a difficult question though, I may have been completely off the mark. I took the word embellish on its literal meaning.

i was going to pick "tendency..." but really, his embellishment could be an isolated event (from the information in the passage), tendency implies some sort of frequency. i ended up choosing him being ashamed because the overall passage gave the idea that he seemed to be somewhat socially inept, which often stems from low self esteem/ lack of confidence. such individuals would usually apologise for something like that, regardless of it being their fault or not.

then again him being sorry does seem too obvious an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    i was going to pick "tendency..." but really, his embellishment could be an isolated event (from the information in the passage), tendency implies some sort of frequency. i ended up choosing him being ashamed because the overall passage gave the idea that he seemed to be somewhat socially inept, which often stems from low self esteem/ lack of confidence. such individuals would usually apologise for something like that, regardless of it being their fault or not.

then again him being sorry does seem too obvious an answer
    He couldn't have been ashamed as he said specifically near the top that he 'wasn't ashamed'.

He couldn't have been ashamed as he said specifically near the top that he 'wasn't ashamed'.

the answer wasn't actually shame, it was feeling sorry wasn't it? can you remember the other two choices?

the answer wasn't actually shame, it was feeling sorry wasn't it? can you remember the other two choices?
    Guilt.

Guilt and shame sort of go together though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

How many people applied for med and how many places are there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JamieDOC

The guy in front of me started doing deep breathing exercises..!
    If you're talking about Kampus Kitchen., that may have been me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bogger_92

So I feel I did well in the HPAT, looking at the general replies on this thread I seem to be keeping fairly uniform. I guess I need around the 200 mark.

My mock results so far are:

Irish: HB3 70%
    english: still waiting (slow teacher! :p )
    french: HA2 85%
    maths: OA1 94%
    biology: HA1 96%
    chemistry: HA2 87%
    physics: HB1 81%
    religion: HB3 70%

Would these be considered as good grades for a med student wannabe?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Derick990

Bogger_92 wrote: »
    So I feel I did well in the HPAT, looking at the general replies on this thread I seem to be keeping fairly uniform. I guess I need around the 200 mark.

My mock results so far are:

Irish: HB3 70%
    english: still waiting (slow teacher! :p )
    french: HA2 85%
    maths: OA1 94%
    biology: HA1 96%
    chemistry: HA2 87%
    physics: HB1 81%
    religion: HB3 70%

Would these be considered as good grades for a med student wannabe?

I'd say so, especially since in the few months left you could get everything up a grade or two, so I'd say your on for a good LC. Very impressed with the chemistry result. Also I didn't know religion was an exam subject in some schools.

Derick990 wrote: »
    I'd say so, especially since in the few months left you could get everything up a grade or two, so I'd say your on for a good LC. Very impressed with the chemistry result. Also I didn't know religion was an exam subject in some schools.

Thanks, thats given me some encouragement! yeah chemistry is probably my favourite subject of them all, I just find it so interesting, I made some very silly mistakes in the mock though, thats what brought me down :(

and yes Religion is an exam subject in my school! its not my favourite subject though, the way you have to answer the questions is quite different to my three sciences which are really to the point, while religion is more abstract, it sometimes annoys me :)

but thanks anyway! are you in school yourself of uni?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Derick990

Thanks, thats given me some encouragement! yeah chemistry is probably my favourite subject of them all, I just find it so interesting, I made some very silly mistakes in the mock though, thats what brought me down :(

and yes Religion is an exam subject in my school! its not my favourite subject though, the way you have to answer the questions is quite different to my three sciences which are really to the point, while religion is more abstract, it sometimes annoys me :)

but thanks anyway! are you in school yourself of uni?

Yeah I'm in 6th year, same as you. I think we all make mistakes in the mocks though so don't worry about that, I'm just aiming to do better on the day.

Chemistry is interesting alright but I prefer biology myself, never did physics but I don't think I'd like it. As for religion it sounds like my kind of subject, at least it would be better than it is now. A disinterested teacher who knows nothing about religion comes in sits down and hands out some weird teenage magazine tells us to read it for 40 mins 2times a week. She don't even allow us to do homework instead. As I see it whats the point in doing it if
    1) we don't learn anything
    2) It's not on the LC
    Sorry about the rant. But anyway. Yeah. Good results. One thing though you mentioned you need 200 hpat points. How many are you aiming for in the LC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

JamieDOC wrote: »
    If you're talking about Kampus Kitchen., that may have been me.

Oddly, I am talking about Kampus Kitchen :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 e19

Hey Guys,
    Did the LC last year, and i didnt do as well as i liked in my mocks, so i just knuckled down and went up 75 points. I'm in med in galway now!
    So don't worry about the mocks, just concentrate on improving.
    Hope ye all do well and best of luck ;)

e19 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,
    Did the LC last year, and i didnt do as well as i liked in my mocks, so i just knuckled down and went up 75 points. I'm in med in galway now!
    So don't worry about the mocks, just concentrate on improving.
    Hope ye all do well and best of luck ;)
    what'd you get in the HPAT?

Derick990 wrote: »
    Sorry about the rant. But anyway. Yeah. Good results. One thing though you mentioned you need 200 hpat points. How many are you aiming for in the LC?

Firstly sorry I didnt reply for ages, Im in boarding school for the whole week and for some reason boards.ie is blocked? its beyond me. quite annoying really.

Well Im hoping for something above 530, that would be what I would need with a score of 200 In the HPAT, Im hoping I can pull off higher though :)

Also e19, thanks! very nice can I ask how much you got in the HPAT? Im really interested as to how people got on in that.

Finally a general question, this questionnaire from the CAO, Is anyone else suspicious about it asking for our CAO numbers? it just seems strange that an anonymous survey would basically ask for all your details? or am I just being really paranoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Finally a general question, this questionnaire from the CAO, Is anyone else suspicious about it asking for our CAO numbers? it just seems strange that an anonymous survey would basically ask for all your details? or am I just being really paranoid?
    I was a tad paranoid too, but I was at the UCD open day and the admission officer there gave a talk on the HPAT (he's involved in the panel they set up to research it I think) and basically, the HPAT is a giant experiment and the 3 years of data is what they wanted before they'd give some reports and shiz on it. The problem of prep courses and the question of how preparable an exam it is were the big questions with the HPAT, especially in regard to Section 3 (non-verbal reasoning). Quite interesting tbh (well, to me), so I said in the name of science I'd do it. :P

It's written on the form it will in no way affect your entry into medicine and is only used so they will know what HPAT score you got (because, if you spent 400+ on HPAT preparation, put tonnes of time into it and got a poor result, for example, that would suggest it's preparability isn't going their way).

jumpguy wrote: »
    I was a tad paranoid too, but I was at the UCD open day and the admission officer there gave a talk on the HPAT (he's involved in the panel they set up to research it I think) and basically, the HPAT is a giant experiment and the 3 years of data is what they wanted before they'd give some reports and shiz on it. The problem of prep courses and the question of how preparable an exam it is were the big questions with the HPAT, especially in regard to Section 3 (non-verbal reasoning). Quite interesting tbh (well, to me), so I said in the name of science I'd do it. :P

It's written on the form it will in no way affect your entry into medicine and is only used so they will know what HPAT score you got (because, if you spent 400+ on HPAT preparation, put tonnes of time into it and got a poor result, for example, that would suggest it's preparability isn't going their way).

yes I agree for science! I was just wondering if anyone else had suspicions about it, just seemed strange asking for our CAO number. I have no problem filling it in! :) and section three is the one that is most preparable for there are literally hundreds of books with similar questions. thanks though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 e19

what'd you get in the HPAT?
    I got 168 in the Hpat

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

Hey, im a med applicant and cant say im best pleased with my mock results! i have heard of med students getting worse mock results, but its really destroying my motivation nonetheless! All higher level:

Music - B1 84 %
    English - B3 72%
    Physics - B1 80 %
    Biology - B2 75 %
    French - B1 80 % Although im convinced it should come up. im getting the script back on monday and im SURE ill go up with a recheck! Aced the written paper!
    Chemistry - C2 62% Im an A student and this was the highest in the class!
    Maths - C3 56 % Again, shocked with this and not in a good way!

Overall, that brings me to 475 points and im looking for 540-ish in the real thing! What do you think? is it possible?
    If i was to make one comment, it'd be to highlight the fact that my whole school did pretty awful in the mocks and im convinced they were marked hardly this year.. or it could just be my lack of study! I got a tad complacent after the xmas results - 565 points :/

Oh And e19, May i ask what you got in the mocks? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Hey, im a med applicant and cant say im best pleased with my mock results! i have heard of med students getting worse mock results, but its really destroying my motivation nonetheless! All higher level:

Music - B1 84 %
    English - B3 72%
    Physics - B1 80 %
    Biology - B2 75 %
    French - B1 80 % Although im convinced it should come up. im getting the script back on monday and im SURE ill go up with a recheck! Aced the written paper!
    Chemistry - C2 62% Im an A student and this was the highest in the class!
    Maths - C3 56 % Again, shocked with this and not in a good way!

Overall, that brings me to 475 points and im looking for 540-ish in the real thing! What do you think? is it possible?
    If i was to make one comment, it'd be to highlight the fact that my whole school did pretty awful in the mocks and im convinced they were marked hardly this year.. or it could just be my lack of study! I got a tad complacent after the xmas results - 565 points :/

Oh And e19, May i ask what you got in the mocks? :)

Ok first off calm the fu9k down.

Secondly I just did my mocks and I can tell you I have done worse than you my friend. However I will be getting a minimum of 540 this august.
    You will go up from now until june.

So to sum up.

1. Calm.
    2.Your doing better than most already.
    3.Your likely to do better than most in June.
    4. Just keep doing what your doing now.

Can I just say to anyone else who got results like this here...please refer to this post before you post.

Thank you. :)

• Advertisement

Jaafa wrote: »
    Ok first off calm the fu9k down.

Secondly I just did my mocks and I can tell you I have done worse than you my friend. However I will be getting a minimum of 540 this august.
    You will go up from now until june.

So to sum up.

1. Calm.
    2.Your doing better than most already.
    3.Your likely to do better than most in June.
    4. Just keep doing what your doing now.

Can I just say to anyone else who got results like this here...please refer to this post before you post.

Thank you. :)
    Thank you for your honesty. I may be panicking but it all just seems SO close.. Scarily close! Yet, I don't see how my attitude will help so, ill fix that immediately.
    It helps having some feedback from other Med applicants to put it all in some perspective. Well, good luck in your mocks! Im sure you did better than you think.

i really wish HPAT would just give us some sort of indication as the whether or not we at least made the minimum points possible to get medicine, which would be around 160 i think.
    then again a bad result could demotivate us entirely for any other course as well

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

i really wish HPAT would just give us some sort of indication as the whether or not we at least made the minimum points possible to get medicine, which would be around 160 i think.
    then again a bad result could demotivate us entirely for any other course as well

You need to have 2 CAOs ready. I doubt I'll be taking Medicine off just in case but it's no harm to have an alternative CAO if you're really unhappy with how the HPAT went. Especially seeing how the CAO closes so soon after HPAT results come out... emotional decisions ain't good :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

wayhey wrote: »
    You need to have 2 CAOs ready. I doubt I'll be taking Medicine off just in case but it's no harm to have an alternative CAO if you're really unhappy with how the HPAT went. Especially seeing how the CAO closes so soon after HPAT results come out... emotional decisions ain't good :pac:

It'll do you no harm whatsoever to leave the 5 medicines at the top of the CAO, 5 more spaces is loads for your back up choices :) Better than the regrets you'd have if you actually made the points after changing the CAO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Shortsighted

I'm in Med this year and remember being in the same position last year.
    I can honestly say that mock results really don't give a particularly accurate reflection of your results come June though.
    The teachers correcting the mocks usually have far more papers and far less time to get through those mounds of panic-stained pink sheets of pre-exam goodness :p They're not as stuck to the marking paper as the actual LC correctors, so a lot of them aren't as precise in their marking as the real thing.
    Add that to the fact that you have the guts of 2 and a half months to finish subject courses/hone up your exam skills, I guarantee that a lot of you will go up far more than you expected - I know I did anyways :)

So for the next while just put your head down - sleep well, eat well... oh, and don't forget to breathe ;)

I'm in Med this year and remember being in the same position last year.
    I can honestly say that mock results really don't give a particularly accurate reflection of your results come June though.
    The teachers correcting the mocks usually have far more papers and far less time to get through those mounds of panic-stained pink sheets of pre-exam goodness :p They're not as stuck to the marking paper as the actual LC correctors, so a lot of them aren't as precise in their marking as the real thing.
    Add that to the fact that you have the guts of 2 and a half months to finish subject courses/hone up your exam skills, I guarantee that a lot of you will go up far more than you expected - I know I did anyways :)

So for the next while just put your head down - sleep well, eat well... oh, and don't forget to breathe ;)

Firstly, congrats on getting into med! :) i for one am worried about my mocks and feel they were marked pretty awfully! But im after getting into a habit of looking at past pupils mock results compared to their leaving cert results and narrowing a maximum possible increase down to 100! I have convinced myself that theres only so much you can go up by which is true but its slightly de-motivating me! Did you improve by a lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 doctorbecs

Hi i was just reading old threads and came across this one and thought i should give my views on the topic. To all of you who are worried or stressed about not getting medicine this year - i would just like to point out there is an option... repeat the LC. I know it may seem a hugely daunting suggestion while you are in the thick of studying to have to look forward to another year of it! But trust me, if medicine is really, really what you want, then go for it! I am a repeat student, purely for the fact that i was really sick for some of last year and didnt get the required grades in the LC. The year has flown! I have gained a better understanding in every single subject. In my LC last year i got
    Maths - A2
    Chemistry - A2
    Physics - B1
    Biology - B1
    Applied Maths - A1
    Construction Studies - A2
    Pass Irish B3
    Pass French B2
    My HPAT score for 2010 was 159! (i know!!)

In my mocks this year i got
    Maths - A1
    Chemistry - A1
    Physics - A1
    Biology - A2
    Applied Maths - A2
    Construction Studies - A1

There really is no comparrison...
    Also, i am from a regular background, my dad is a farmer and my mam is an SNA, i am not a doctor or lawyers child so i have to study like crazy to get to where i want.

For those of you out there who are really struggling this year, or make a huge slip in the LC, just rememer, repeating is so worth it in the end!!

Its only one year of your life to ensure your happy for the rest of it doing what you love!

doctorbecs wrote: »
    Also, i am from a regular background, my dad is a farmer and my mam is an SNA, i am not a doctor or lawyers child so i have to study like crazy to get to where i want.
    The children of doctors or lawyers still have to study to get the points they want. I know plenty of people with rich people who don't get very good grades and likewise I know people with not-so-rich parents who still manage to get very high grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 doctorbecs

The children of doctors or lawyers still have to study to get the points they want. I know plenty of people with rich people who don't get very good grades and likewise I know people with not-so-rich parents who still manage to get very high grades.

oh god i know that, im honestly not prejudiced or anything, i just know how daunting it can be coming from a little school and opposing private schools and places like leeson street. I went to mount anville for three years... believe me i KNOW you have to work hard REGARDLESS - its just the idea that can sometimes put people off. Sorry if i gave the wrong impression, i was just trying to get across the point that anyone can achieve their goals regardless of background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Hey what do you people have down as other choices if they don't get medicine?

I've Health and Biomedical in UCD as I wouldn't mind going in the research side of things either. I also have Neuroscience and Science with Nanotechnology.

Advertisement