Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Jaafa wrote: »
    Hey what do you people have down as other choices if they don't get medicine?

I've Health and Biomedical in UCD as I wouldn't mind going in the research side of things either. I also have Neuroscience and Science with Nanotechnology.
    I'm changing my mind 24/7, I've gone from pharmacy to radiation therapy to general science and I think I'm settling along the general science thing, maybe Biological and Chemical Sciences in UL. There is simply too much choice after medicine for me tbh, I want to do tonnes. :-/ One of the best things, if I get medicine, will be that I won't have to make that choice! >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Is anyone else going through the crushingly low pessimism that they won't get it? I'll feel bad if I don't get it but I'll feel bad too for my parents after they've supported me in repeating...

Also I'm torn between a "job" degree like Occupational Therapy/Science Education versus something like Biomedical Science with a view to doing graduate...Uuuuugggghhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

I've Health and Biomedical in UCD as I wouldn't mind going in the research side of things either. I also have Neuroscience and Science with Nanotechnology.

Philosophy, economics and political and social science in Trinity :p

Or else Arts :cool:

Wouldn't catch me going down a sciencey route anyway I'd say. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Theoretical Physics in Trinity! It's completely different, which is probably why it was difficult to choose. I'd love if I could somehow do both med and TP, so I guess whatever happens, I think I'll be happy out! I guess it's a good place to be...

Theoretical Physics in Trinity! It's completely different, which is probably why it was difficult to choose. I'd love if I could somehow do both med and TP, so I guess whatever happens, I think I'll be happy out! I guess it's a good place to be...

You again? :eek: :pac:

D'fhéach mé ar do thrácht, agus dúirt mé " :eek: tá aithne agam ar dhalta eile agus an smaoineamh chéanna aige!"

Ach ansin, thug mé faoi nach raibh é ach do féin :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Shortsighted

Firstly, congrats on getting into med! :) i for one am worried about my mocks and feel they were marked pretty awfully! But im after getting into a habit of looking at past pupils mock results compared to their leaving cert results and narrowing a maximum possible increase down to 100! I have convinced myself that theres only so much you can go up by which is true but its slightly de-motivating me! Did you improve by a lot?

I went up about 40 points I think. Saying that, we didn't have mock orals/practicals so that was a big part of it. Lost a bit of steam in the last month or two, so if I had really worked harder I think I might have been able to bring it up more.. thankfully I didn't need to in the end though :) I know people who went up a good 70-80 points, it really varies with how much constructive work you do over the next few months/what comes up on the paper on the day. Whatever you do, always aim for that 550 mark even if you don't think you'll make it. It really makes a helluva lot of difference when added to your HPAT score! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 doctorbecs

wayhey wrote: »
    Is anyone else going through the crushingly low pessimism that they won't get it? I'll feel bad if I don't get it but I'll feel bad too for my parents after they've supported me in repeating...

Also I'm torn between a "job" degree like Occupational Therapy/Science Education versus something like Biomedical Science with a view to doing graduate...Uuuuugggghhhh.

i feel your pain! so much! whatever about not getting it on your first attempt but second would just be crushing!
    at the end of the day all you can do is your best! i know your probably sick of hearing it but there really are other ways around it. my sister did medicinal chemistry in trinity (which was 510 points in 2010) and then branched into medicine after her second year.
    if its really what you want its work working for for the next, what 8 weeks? its only 2 months of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

doctorbecs wrote: »
    i feel your pain! so much! whatever about not getting it on your first attempt but second would just be crushing!
    at the end of the day all you can do is your best! i know your probably sick of hearing it but there really are other ways around it. my sister did medicinal chemistry in trinity (which was 510 points in 2010) and then branched into medicine after her second year.
    if its really what you want its work working for for the next, what 8 weeks? its only 2 months of your life.

i find it a little unnerving that it's already been decided whether we can get medicine or not haha, though im confident i did well enough in the hpat

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

So do you need a language for Medicine? I'm in 5th year and want to drop French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

KKBL wrote: »
    So do you need a language for Medicine? I'm in 5th year and want to drop French.

You do need a language for everywhere except trinity, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Brainy

For Trinity you need a language but that language can be Irish....

But for the NUI colleges for medicine you need Irish and a modern language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JamieDOC

Know this is completely unrelated, but is there anyone here applying for med that is sure of accomodation?

can i still switch the order of my cao medicine applications? this whole restricted thing, wouldn't want to end up with nowhere to go haha. i only just realised that UCD is a 6 year course, so ill move it down on the list

also is this correct for me? (i do all three sciences)

trinity/cork/galway/rcsi - 5 year

ucd - 6 year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    can i still switch the order of my cao medicine applications? this whole restricted thing, wouldn't want to end up with nowhere to go haha. i only just realised that UCD is a 6 year course, so ill move it down on the list

ucd - 6 year
    Of course you can re-order, you can even add more med courses if you had one down before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

ucd - 6 year

UCD offer a 5 year but according to the lecturer at their open day it is generally not offered to people coming directly from Leaving Cert so 6 years there.

Galway and RCSI offer a 5 year and a 6 year course. Entrance into the 5 year course requires a minimum of 2 sciences, one of which must be Chemistry. The top achievers from the succesful Medical applicants in these subjects will be offered a place on the 5 year course as far as I'm aware. The rest will be offered the 6 year course. You dont have to accept the 5 year though. You can request to take the 6 year and they have to allow you to take it.

Trinity only offer a 5 year course.

Not too sure about Cork off the top of my head. I'd presume it's like RCSI and Galway however. I'm sure you could find out on Qualifax.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    UCD offer a 5 year but according to the lecturer at their open day it is generally not offered to people coming directly from Leaving Cert so 6 years there.

It the difference between the 6 year course and the 5 year course pre-med?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

The 6 year and 5 year courses are the exact same except for the first year of the 6 year course. It's a foundation year which gives you a good base in all of the sciences and some other areas too. Someone who's done or is currently doing Medicine would be better equipped to answer you though. I'm just going by what I've read/heard while researching the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

NotExactly wrote: »
    It the difference between the 6 year course and the 5 year course pre-med?

The 5 and 6 year courses are the exact same from 1st med to final med - same modules, exams, material covered, etc etc. The reason I'm clarifying this is that I've heard people (incorrectly) say that the 6 year course covers the same course but over 6 years instead of condensed into 5....not the case.

In the 6 year course, you do premed before going into 1st med. Its a completely different year, with the 3 sciences and (for my uni anyway) a patient orientated/clinical module which means you get some patient interaction long before people who do the 5 year course. Its a lovely relaxing year, brilliant for getting to know your class and having the college experience before diving into first med.

You can PM me for more info if you're undecided about what to pick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Hey has anyone heard any rumours about the HPAT being scrapped in the near future or about repeating the HPAT being disallowed or anything? Any changes to come? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Aren't the first 3 years just a trial..?

• Advertisement

Well I'm not too sure about that, everyone seems to be presuming that there will be HPAT again next year.

Aren't the first 3 years just a trial..?

I think a message similar to that was articulated on the survey the CAO sent out to all those who sat HPAT this year. I think it was more likely to have been a "three years, then review, and as long as there are no catastrophic problems, we'll keep it" kinda thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

Well it could be stopped,
    as they might see the amount of money these prep courses are making which, literally is thousands!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'd say there's likely to be changes to Section 3 of the HPAT, however it will never be scrapped altogether considering it'd just revert to the ridiculous LC points requirement....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 samehere

any idea guys........................like med points go up or down this year?i find hpat pretty easy but i need 190points so.....................AFRAID

Well I'm hoping they won't go up too much seen as total applications to medicine are down 5% and 1st place preferances are down 4%. Also I think Galway are increasing their number of places slightly (though I've heard UCD might be decreasing their undergrad places?). Hards to tell but they shouldn't realy increase a load like last year....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Well I'm hoping they won't go up too much seen as total applications to medicine are down 5% and 1st place preferances are down 4%. Also I think Galway are increasing their number of places slightly (though I've heard UCD might be decreasing their undergrad places?). Hards to tell but they shouldn't realy increase a load like last year....?

Galway are adding 19 undergrad places.

while i was fantasising about my hpat results, i thought back to my exam, and the fact that i had to randomly select my last 5 answers, because of time constraints. i had about 5 min spare time with the first section, and 10 with the second, that really would have helped had i been allowed to carry it over. i think it's a little unfair that they don't let you continue on to the next section. surely our ability to work quickly would be important as a doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

while i was fantasising about my hpat results, i thought back to my exam, and the fact that i had to randomly select my last 5 answers, because of time constraints. i had about 5 min spare time with the first section, and 10 with the second, that really would have helped had i been allowed to carry it over. i think it's a little unfair that they don't let you continue on to the next section. surely our ability to work quickly would be important as a doctor?
    Exactly... that's why each section is timed separately.

• Advertisement

Serious? That is very welcome news :D And definitely not what I was expecting to hear! Would've presumed that medicine would continue to experience stronger demand, as it is seen to offer much greater job security than other courses.

Advertisement