Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

Exactly... that's why each section is timed separately.

which takes the advantage away from those who are faster

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

BrendaN_f wrote: »

But you weren't faster at section 3. You had an advantage over people in the first two sections who weren't as fast as you. I know people who had to guess answers for the first two sections so you didn't really lose your advantage. The way I look at it, it's more of an excercise in optimum time usage/management as opposed to speed.

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    But you weren't faster at section 3. You had an advantage over people in the first two sections who weren't as fast as you. I know people who had to guess answers for the first two sections so you didn't really lose your advantage. The way I look at it, it's more of an excercise in optimum time usage/management as opposed to speed.

i did lose my advantage, as those spare 15 mins could've been used in section 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

i did lose my advantage, as those spare 15 mins could've been used in section 3.

you see you are missing the point....if you are finished that early you must have done extremely well and have known everything very quickly in section 1 and that is where you would be rewarded in your score the same goes for section 2.so you will be rewarded.the whole point is to test you decision making under pressure relative to others....and if you were to use your 15 extra minutes that most other people wouldnt have,you would have a disproportionate advantage in section 3-your section 3 capability would not be accurately known.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Well I'm hoping they won't go up too much seen as total applications to medicine are down 5% and 1st place preferances are down 4%. Also I think Galway are increasing their number of places slightly (though I've heard UCD might be decreasing their undergrad places?). Hards to tell but they shouldn't realy increase a load like last year....?

Does this actually mean any change in the points though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Not really, the HPAT is really just 3 tests rolled into one. Section 3 was the only section I ran out of time in too, I had about 25 seconds each for the last 3 questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Jaafa wrote: »
    Does this actually mean any change in the points though?

Points depend on demand vs places available. If places go up, the cut off point will go down slightly (it might just clear up the random selection, or might drop it by 1 point).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Points depend on demand vs places available. If places go up, the cut off point will go down slightly (it might just clear up the random selection, or might drop it by 1 point).

I'll stick with the study so. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 k.stewart

wayhey wrote: »
    Is anyone else going through the crushingly low pessimism that they won't get it? I'll feel bad if I don't get it but I'll feel bad too for my parents after they've supported me in repeating...

Also I'm torn between a "job" degree like Occupational Therapy/Science Education versus something like Biomedical Science with a view to doing graduate...Uuuuugggghhhh.

Yea me too! I'm repeating for it as well.. will be devastated if I don't get it this time round, but I have psychology down after Medicine in every university here. And BioMed then is my last choice.
    Really hope you get it this year. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 goosey93

The Hpat scores are up on the cao website if you log in. My hopes of medicine are gone now unless i get 600 points :(:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 harmo08

ah, but is this the real one, i thought it was meant to be realeased late june? I hope this isnt the real one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 goosey93

http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14:hpat-ireland-results&catid=3:general&Itemid=13 it says there late June but then why is there scores posted on the cao website? strange...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Could it be a glitch? My score is posted online too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Raskolnikov92

Are you sure it isn't scores from last year or something? Are your scores still up or have they been removed because when I logged in there was nothing there

Are you sure it isn't scores from last year or something? Are your scores still up or have they been removed because when I logged in there was nothing there
    It looks as if someone noticed the error and took them down.

I'm not a repeat and there were results posted on my CAO application. I'm hoping that there's some kind of mistake. I didn't want to know my results until after the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

It looks like it was a mistake and they realised and took them down. I emailed cao so Ill put up their response when I get it

Send an email to the CAO office folks and ask.

Kinda wish I had the opportunity to see mine now...(unless I did terribly) :(

ok, my friend called them, apparently, they said they were just doing a test round and those weren't the real results.

Ihope theyre not just trying to cover up a mistake they made :/

harmo08 wrote: »
    ok, my friend called them, apparently, they said they were just doing a test round and those weren't the real results.

Ihope theyre not just trying to cover up a mistake they made :/
    That sounds like BS.

A test round for what? This is the third year they're releasing HPAT results, there's no way they'd be testing it now.

I've been trying to ring the CAO for the past while and the line's constantly busy.

harmo08 wrote: »
    I'm very dubious, there must've been a mistake and they accidentally released the "test-results" (a tad far-fetched), or they're trying to cover it up, but I guess we'll have to wait till late June.

Would be far easier if they just came clean about this.

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    I'm very dubious, there must've been a mistake and they accidentally released the "test-results" (a tad far-fetched), or they're trying to cover it up, but I guess we'll have to wait till late June.

Would be far easier if they just came clean about this.

agreed, an obvious lie. there's no way they'd do a "test" without warning, knowing the hysteria it would cause. they may as well just release the results now

agreed, an obvious lie. there's no way they'd do a "test" without warning, knowing the hysteria it would cause. they may as well just release the results now
    They should really.

It's completely unfair plunging a certain few in to worry/overconfidence whilst leaving others completely unaffected.

did anyone get scores in the 150s range, because two people got results in those range. So if others got in that range as well, it might be a test round as they say, if not, then they're lying

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

Were the scores actually up?? Because they can't really be on the CAO , They would have to on the Acer hpat site no?

I am freaking out, My heartbeat is at like 200

My "test round" result was above the 150s. Someone else I know was below the 150s.

It really does sound very strange to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

It could possible be because they are probably going to abandon it this year so released the results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

doctorg wrote: »
    Were the scores actually up?? Because they can't really be on the CAO , They would have to on the Acer hpat site no?

I am freaking out, My heartbeat is at like 200

No, when you officially get them you get an email and are sent to a completely separate page to see the results, but at the same time the results are on the bottom of your CAO form.

It is kinda weird on the HPAT website that they don't specify a date of release apart from "late June"...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

No, when you officially get them you get an email and are sent to a completely separate page to see the results, but at the same time the results are on the bottom of your CAO form.

It is kinda weird on the HPAT website that they don't specify a date of release apart from "late June"...

Like I imagine they wait until late June just because they don't want people's HPAT scores affecting their performance. seeing as they're all marked by computer, I can't imagine them taking terribly long to mark, and it's been 2 months now which should be ample time.

Like I reckon we've been marked already, but they're hanging onto the results til June.

Plus, it'd be desperately unfair to people to do a test, whether they overstated or understated the results!

It's in the HPAT brochure. 27th June. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I'm still a bit dubious about the whole thing. I agree that the CAO/Acer wouldn't do this kind of test without prior warning to Med applicants. They're well aware of the reaction a test like this, without any prior warning, would bring. This thread is a prime example of the sort of reaction that it brings. Someone must have messed up at CAO. As Kellogscoffey said, the HPAT has most likely been marked by now. I highly doubt they just left them sitting there, waiting to be corrected. I wonder if this will get any sort of media coverage in tomorrows papers? Could force the CAO to tell the truth?

Advertisement