Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    I'm still a bit dubious about the whole thing. I agree that the CAO/Acer wouldn't do this kind of test without prior warning to Med applicants. They're well aware of the reaction a test like this, without any prior warning, would bring. This thread is a prime example of the sort of reaction that it brings. Someone must have messed up at CAO. As Kellogscoffey said, the HPAT has most likely been marked by now. I highly doubt they just left them sitting there, waiting to be corrected. I wonder if this will get any sort of media coverage in tomorrows papers? Could force the CAO to tell the truth?

Yeah exactly, its just not very fair like. Entry to college is a serious thing, its not very nice to be causing this kinda worry to students :( but like Im hoping they are the real results, so like that'll affect my interpretation of events, while someone else will be looking for evidence that says they're not, so its hard to tell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

will the cao automaticly know your hpat result from last year and post that up too....any1 here know?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Joseph... wrote: »
    will the cao automaticly know your hpat result from last year and post that up too....any1 here know?

They did for me last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Joseph... wrote: »
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    They did for me last year...

I'd double check that if I was you, just to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

If it was in your CAO accont that they were posted then i'd say it was more than likely a screw up by th CAO.I remember when I got my results 2 years ago the CAO accidently put up the scores you got in each section by mistake and then had to take them down.ACER sent you an email with a link to view your results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If it was in your CAO accont that they were posted then i'd say it was more than likely a screw up by th CAO.I remember when I got my results 2 years ago the CAO accidently put up the scores you got in each section by mistake and then had to take them down.ACER sent you an email with a link to view your results.
    But wouldn't that be right though? What I saw yesterday was marks for each section and a total.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 harmo08

Did anyone else contact them (cao), what did they say about it?

I did. They maintained that it was just a test set of results and that the real results will come out in June.

I did. They maintained that it was just a test set of results and that the real results will come out in June.

see thats the part i dont get, they would have just used the same results for everyone rather than giving different ones out. They better not be trying to cover up,

wonder if we can take legal action against them if they turn out to be lying in june and the results are the same as the ones they released :P

Surely they'd have told us about the test run though :mad:

• Advertisement

But wouldn't that be right though? What I saw yesterday was marks for each section and a total.
    No they're not meant to give you your results for each section,just your overall score and your overall percentile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

No they're not meant to give you your results for each section,just your overall score and your overall percentile.

Then perhaps it was a botched test run....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Do you remember if the results they posted for each section added up to your real total result? If they didn't, then maybe it was a test file the other day! I'm sort of clutching at straws here, but wouldn't it be great...

(Great in an entirely selfish sense, because I personally wasn't totally happy with the result posted :-P)

Do you remember if the results they posted for each section added up to your real total result? If they didn't, then maybe it was a test file the other day! I'm sort of clutching at straws here, but wouldn't it be great...

(Great in an entirely selfish sense, because I personally wasn't totally happy with the result posted :-P)

yes, mine added up from each section, and i it was better than my last years results but i still wasn't happy with it :/

Yeah i think my individual scores added up too!

has anyone alerted the media to this scoop? :P

Maybe it's just my biased view, but I consider it newsworthy....

I remeber a few people were saying that their scores didn't add up,this was because they just rounded off the scores for the individual sectons but kept all the decimals when calculating the final score(or that was the theory anyway).I don't buy this test run story.I mean this is the 3rd year that they're doin this why would they need to do a test,also as I've said earlier when you actually do get your results it's by email.

I don't buy this test run story.I mean this is the 3rd year that they're doin this why would they need to do a test,also as I've said earlier when you actually do get your results it's by email.

Yeah I kinda agree. I don't understand what they're testing. Although the fact the results appeared differently on the account to the normal format they are shown in changes things slightly.

Unless that was their test, to change the format of how it appears.

Which'd be a pretty lame test :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

That was the original format, that was the first way I saw my results on the CAO form in 2009. But because of some having to be rounded up, most people's accumulated results added up to 1 point more than the total result they were given. They got so many worried calls at the time that they just took them down.

Did they only go up on Friday or is that just when it was noticed? Do ye check your CAO forms every day? :P Maybe they made a mistake and threw them up on the 27th of April instead of June...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 figiii

you definitely get your result from every section and your total and your percentile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Wait, so some people just wandered onto their CAOs and there was a HPAT score there or what's the craic? That'd give ye a heart attack sure :p Were they good results out of interest they put up (Could have led to a momentary happiness/depression...).

• Advertisement

figiii wrote: »
    you definitely get your result from every section and your total and your percentile
    It used to be the case that they just gave you your overall score and din't give you the individual sections at all,maybe they changed it though,but i doubt it I'd say it was just a scew up by the CAO.I don't even think you're supposed to get the results on the CAO website.I got aan email with a link in it for mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 k.stewart

goosey93 wrote: »
    The Hpat scores are up on the cao website if you log in. My hopes of medicine are gone now unless i get 600 points :(:P

Arghh I never got to see mine :(

Saw this too late..
    I'd say that they were real scores, and they're just trying to cover it up. :/

But hopefully for you they weren't real and the CAO peoples are telling the truth. :)

"
    Dear Sir/ Madam,

As a Leaving Certificate student who has applied for medicine, I deem it necessary to draw attention to the current situation affecting medicine applicants. Approximately 3000 students sat the HPAT aptitude test last February, which is compulsory for all medicine applicants and worth a potential 300 points out of a total of 860 (the other 560 being made up of Leaving Cert points, with 20% weighting for every 10 points earned after 550 LC points). We are due to receive these results in June after the exams, and these will largely dictate our chances of receiving an offer in a medicine course. Last Friday, HPAT results appeared on students' CAO accounts, my own included, over one month prematurely. This naturally prompted a frenzy of activity online, and the results were removed several hours later. Students who contacted the CAO were informed the results were "a test;" however no prior nor subsequent communication has taken place between the CAO and all students concerned. Currently, some students have seen their "results" while others have not and noone can verify them. I therefore call on the CAO to clarify the situation immediately, and to do all they can to remedy the problem, which is undoubtedly causing unnecessary worry to students.

Yours etc,
    "

Well, SOMEONE had to be a dryballs about it and tell the media :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MedMan101

Not bad Kellogscoffey! :cool:

Maybe they'll be forced to release them early now! :rolleyes:
    Dono if thats a good thing or a bad thing?!:P

Well said. Are you sending that out to anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 figiii

It used to be the case that they just gave you your overall score and din't give you the individual sections at all,maybe they changed it though,but i doubt it I'd say it was just a scew up by the CAO.I don't even think you're supposed to get the results on the CAO website.I got aan email with a link in it for mine.

yeah i got mine by email from acer aswel but theyre slapped up on your cao aswel as far as i remember! could be wrong!

Jaafa wrote: »
    Well said. Are you sending that out to anyone?

Yup, sent it to the Times, Independent and Examiner. Not that I'm envisaging a vast swell of public outrage at the outrageous mistreatment of us poor vulnerable students :P But its good to do something anyway :)

ACER have replied to my email after three days.
    Dear ____,

HPAT – Ireland results will be released at the end of June 2011.

Regards
    The HPAT – Ireland Team
    ACER

A helpful reply, non?

Yup, sent it to the Times, Independent and Examiner. Not that I'm envisaging a vast swell of public outrage at the outrageous mistreatment of us poor vulnerable students :P But its good to do something anyway :)

Fair play to ya.Hopefully we'll get a response. Especially so close to the LC now,they'll be plenty of articles on education going around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

ACER have replied to my email after three days.

A helpful reply, non?

I got the same reply from them, word for word! So I asked them again, saying I was still unclear. They gave a similar answer, but added that since Acer and the CAO are separate entities, I should contact the CAO about my query.

Thanks for being sooo helpful, Acer...

Advertisement