Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 k.stewart

Derick990 wrote: »
    I found this show today and I found it very interesting. For those of you who missed it on the BBC check it out if you have a break from study. It's a reality show about junior doctors.

http://watchseries.eu/serie/junior_doctors:_your_life_in_their_hands

I watched that series when it was on for the first time :)
    Too bad the real thing is nothing like scrubs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Can anyone tell me what the song at 4:35 is? :p

In the first video that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Derick990

Anyone know how the 25 points for HL maths will affect Med next year. Will the adjustment still count ie after 550, 5=1 point -> 625=565?
    A reply would be appreciated as I think I'll end up repeating next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Anyone know how the 25 points for HL maths will affect Med next year. Will the adjustment still count ie after 550, 5=1 point -> 625=565?

Good question, i was wondering the same thing. The way I see it, it could go a few ways.

1) They could increase the total LC score to 625. Although this might be seen as discriminating against Ordinary maths students, who wouldn't be able to get that score, so i dunno...

2) They could alter the cut off point for full marks, like only start adjusting after 575 points, and only after a score of that apply the 5=1 ratio thing.

3) They could do nothing. I think this is probably what'll happen. I dont think it'd very muchos fair, coz there'd be waay more people getting at least 550 in LC, which'd mean there'd be an even greater importance attached to HPAT (if that was even possible....)

Not that this helps your question much, as its really just a rambling monologue of baseless speculation, but you never know :rolleyes:

Good question, i was wondering the same thing. The way I see it, it could go a few ways.

1) They could increase the total LC score to 625. Although this might be seen as discriminating against Ordinary maths students, who wouldn't be able to get that score, so i dunno...

2) They could alter the cut off point for full marks, like only start adjusting after 575 points, and only after a score of that apply the 5=1 ratio thing.

3) They could do nothing. I think this is probably what'll happen. I dont think it'd very muchos fair, coz there'd be waay more people getting at least 550 in LC, which'd mean there'd be an even greater importance attached to HPAT (if that was even possible....)

Not that this helps your question much, as its really just a rambling monologue of baseless speculation, but you never know

I wouldn't say rambling, baseless perhaps but not rambling. Id say those are very possible options. All I'm hoping is that the adjustment limits the effect as much as possible to keep those (Like me) who don't excel at maths in contention, after all 25 HPAT points is quite a lot as is finding an extra 25 points in your LC when everything's already Bs and As. This comes at a really bad time too as I was hoping to be on the safer side of 550 next year. I hope that they maintain the adjustment level or just not count the points for medicine at all. The status Quo and all that.

Now that was rambling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

So does anyone know what the story is from next year, do you have to do the leaving cert and HPAT in the same year? I've heard something about this but can't find any information on it anywhere.

So does anyone know what the story is from next year, do you have to do the leaving cert and HPAT in the same year? I've heard something about this but can't find any information on it anywhere.

No you don't. Your Hpat result is valid for two years, so you can combine it with next years LC. Also if you repeat the HPAT next year the highest of the two is counted along with your highest LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

No you don't. Your Hpat result is valid for two years, so you can combine it with next years LC. Also if you repeat the HPAT next year the highest of the two is counted along with your highest LC.
    Ye I know that has been the case so far but I heard they might be changing things up starting from next year or something, a couple of people have said it to me, not sure if its true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Ye I know that has been the case so far but I heard they might be changing things up starting from next year or something, a couple of people have said it to me, not sure if its true though.

Yeah i heard vicious rumours of same, although from a desparately unreliable source ;). Like I dunno why they'd do it, but the HPAT has come to the end of the three year 'trial' period, so like if they were planning on changing things, this would be the first year they could do it, I think anway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kellogskelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 kellogskelly

Yeah i heard vicious rumours of same, although from a desparately unreliable source ;). Like I dunno why they'd do it, but the HPAT has come to the end of the three year 'trial' period, so like if they were planning on changing things, this would be the first year they could do it, I think anway.

... so not that unreliable! :P

Jaafa wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the song at 4:35 is? :p

In the first video that is.

It sounds like.. "Like a G6. - Far East Movement" :)

k.stewart wrote: »
    It sounds like.. "Like a G6. - Far East Movement" :)

Ahhh your kidding? I hate that song. :P Oh well guess I'll just get the instrumental version. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Ahhh your kidding? I hate that song. :P Oh well guess I'll just get the instrumental version. :D
    LETS DO IT RIGHT, GET SCLIZZORED, LIKE A G6.

I had a cent for the amount of times I've heard that song playing through some scober's tinny mobile phone speakers...

jumpguy wrote: »
    LETS DO IT RIGHT, GET SCLIZZORED, LIKE A G6.

I had a cent for the amount of times I've heard that song playing through some scober's tinny mobile phone speakers...

You'd probably have a few euro.....

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

I heard that the extra points for HL maths doesn't count for any restricted course such as medicine or music etc,.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 foglight

Any idea when HPAT results are out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

foglight wrote: »
    Any idea when HPAT results are out?
    After you finish the LC.

27th of June. The search tool would have told you that too btw.

amtw wrote: »
    I heard that the extra points for HL maths doesn't count for any restricted course such as medicine or music etc,.

Really?? Where did you hear that?
    That doesn't seem fair :(
    We need all the extra points we can get! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

k.stewart wrote: »
    Really?? Where did you hear that?
    That doesn't seem fair :(
    We need all the extra points we can get! :P

Coincidentally, this came to mind last night..
    If these points did count for entry into medicine then it would basically be impossible to get into med without doing higher maths.
    The competition is so stiff ATM that 5 points can make all the difference, 25 would just be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

27th of June.

Yay so after I realise how SH1T I did in the hpat I can still take medicine off my CAO :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I can't see the 25 extra points being allowed for restricted courses. It would be unfair to give a higher weighting to a subject that not everybody does (at higher level), and as it is completely unrelated to the actual course you couldn't base entry on maths abilities.

Yay so after I realise how SH1T I did in the hpat I can still take medicine off my CAO :)
    True but even if you do bad in the hpat points may drop this year. You'd be raging if you took it off only to find points have dropped. No matter how small that chance.

I'd agree with Jaafa, your CAO has enough options to be able to have at least 5 back up courses AND leave medicine on there. If you put something down as your 5th choice on the paper, and you don't get the medicine points, this automatically becomes your first choice and you have the exact same chance at getting it as any other person, even if they had it on top of their CAO form.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Spacecow

Hey all ,

I have been intending on repeating my leaving cert next june and just sit the easy subjects so i can get into med , i have passed irish, math and french in my first LC.

Im after finding out that you need to have the entry requirments AND the points from ONE sitting. I want to know if that is just for irish universities? Or would i be able to get into english unis? (provided i get the grades)

eg. If i repeat my LC next year and do Geo,Bus,Eng,Phys,Econ,Construction
    -> Will i have the subject requirements to get into med in english universities?

thanks!

Have a look at each individual universities entry requirements, or ask over on the Health Sciences Education forum if you don't get an answer here.

I'm not sure tbh, but in addition to the subject requirements, you will have to apply through UCAS before a certain date (November, possibly? Could be wrong but its earlier than the CAO), you'll have to sit the UKCAT (a completely separate exam) and there is usually an interview process for UK universities.

Would the points you got in your original LC be enough when combined with the HPAT for medicine in Ireland? Even if you didn't hit the 570/580 a few years ago, now with a good enough HPAT you can (technically) get in with anything from 480 upwards, but generally you'd need at least 520.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I can't see the 25 extra points being allowed for restricted courses. It would be unfair to give a higher weighting to a subject that not everybody does (at higher level), and as it is completely unrelated to the actual course you couldn't base entry on maths abilities.

God I hope so. I probably would have been fit for honours maths but went straight into pass at the start of fifth year, then a couple of months in they told us about the extra points :( Gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

God I hope so. I probably would have been fit for honours maths but went straight into pass at the start of fifth year, then a couple of months in they told us about the extra points :( Gutted.

from qualifax
    Points awarded:

A bonus of 25 points will be allocated to students who achieve a grade D3 or above in higher level (HL) mathematics. This means that the maximum cumulative LC points total will increase from 600 to 625 (existing maximum points plus bonus points).

Formula:

All students presenting HD3 or above in HL mathematics will have 25 points added to their score for mathematics
    The six highest subject points scores will then be counted to achieve a cumulative points score, as is normal practice

Medicine:

The maximum possible adjusted points score for applicants to Medicine will increase from 560 to 565. (For all scores over 550, each 5 point band equals one extra point.) The baseline score of 480 points will still apply but can include the bonus points if HL mathematics (cumulative points) is among the best six subjects.
    http://www.iua.ie/media-and-events/press-releases/releases/2007/BonusPointsSchemeDetailsNov2010.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah I thought it would work that way it makes the most sense, although maths isn't that relevant to medicine, it still requires more work than a lot of other lc subjects. So long as you get 550 it's all to play for :) Cheers for that.

Advertisement