Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

Do people who have sat maths prior to 2012 get the 25 bonus points aswell or is it just those who do so once this rule is brought in?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

AND

in one fell swoop, Honours Maths Paper 1 2011 has just culled a budding cohort of aspiring doctors :pac:

Nah jk, but it was pretty tricky :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

AND

in one fell swoop, Honours Maths Paper 1 2011 has just culled a budding cohort of aspiring doctors :pac:

I'm gona tell you the same thing I told the others in that thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LanCLS_hIo4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

AND

I read that thinking, "Nicely phrased!"
    I should have known 'twas you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

BrendaN_f wrote: »

So its basically an automatic 5 points if you pass the honours paper, and its one of your top 6? CAO points are going to raise across the board now. Unfair to those who didn't know about it and dropped it to concentrate on the rest...:-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Can't wait for the 27th. Don't know why I want to know how I got on in the HPAT, I definitely won't be doing medicine next year and am not in the least bit upset over it.
    Bring on pharmacology followed by medicine in Cambridge/UCL/Harvard/Stanford/UCLA :D

Hey i was just thinking. You know when we get our results should we take them with a pinch of salt? As even if we got high or low scores compared to last year is there a chance that may have been the average for this year? Eg: say i got 220 points is it possible that is the average score for this year and not actually very high? Hope you get me.

Jaafa wrote: »
    Hey i was just thinking. You know when we get our results should we take them with a pinch of salt? As even if we got high or low scores compared to last year is there a chance that may have been the average for this year? Eg: say i got 220 points is it possible that is the average score for this year and not actually very high? Hope you get me.

They give you the percentile with the results.

Whatever you do, try not to be too drastic with changing your CAO. If your percentile is in the middle range, you should put a lot of thought into your back up choices, but at the same time, leave medicine on there as not ALL the people higher than you in the HPAT will have got enough points in the LC to have a good enough overall score.

There is plenty of room on the CAO form to have all 5 medicines on it, along with well thought out back up courses. It may sound obvious, but you do hear of people taking it off in a panic when they assume they haven't got it, when really, you don't know.

Whatever you do, try not to be too drastic with changing your CAO. If your percentile is in the middle range, you should put a lot of thought into your back up choices, but at the same time, leave medicine on there as not ALL the people higher than you in the HPAT will have got enough points in the LC to have a good enough overall score.

There is plenty of room on the CAO form to have all 5 medicines on it, along with well thought out back up courses. It may sound obvious, but you do hear of people taking it off in a panic when they assume they haven't got it, when really, you don't know.

I wasn't planning on changing my CAO. I just didnt know you were given the percentage. :D

Thanks anyway! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

So its basically an automatic 5 points if you pass the honours paper, and its one of your top 6? CAO points are going to raise across the board now. Unfair to those who didn't know about it and dropped it to concentrate on the rest...:-/

If u have done honours maths before the 2012 LC are those points counted?
    Im having to reapply through CAO due to medical reasons.
    Any clue?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 k.stewart

Spacecow wrote: »
    Hey all ,

I have been intending on repeating my leaving cert next june and just sit the easy subjects so i can get into med , i have passed irish, math and french in my first LC.

Im after finding out that you need to have the entry requirments AND the points from ONE sitting. I want to know if that is just for irish universities? Or would i be able to get into english unis? (provided i get the grades)

eg. If i repeat my LC next year and do Geo,Bus,Eng,Phys,Econ,Construction
    -> Will i have the subject requirements to get into med in english universities?

thanks!

Well you'd need chem and bio anyways.

Check out the UCAS website..
    On the Cambridge site under Medicine it says.. "Applicants must have passes at AS/A Level in three of Biology/Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics. One of the subjects must be Chemistry and at least one pass must be at A Level."
    It also says that a "typical" successful applicant has achieved 5 A's at higher level. So I would expect that they'd require you to have met the requirements in one sitting. I'd suggest taking on Biology and Chemistry when you sit the Leaving again, along with the three core subjects, French and one extra subject for security in case one exam goes badly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MedMan101

d-day is fast approachin! anyone else getting a bit nervous??

MedMan101 wrote: »

Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

When are the HPAT results out. Absoloutly NONE of my friends/family (apart from one friend) know I did the HPAT. I wasn't prepared at all and I did shíte ><, , good for everyone else though I suppose! Will still be interested to see the results. Are they online or posted to your house?

When are the HPAT results out. Absoloutly NONE of my friends/family (apart from one friend) know I did the HPAT. I wasn't prepared at all and I did shíte ><, , good for everyone else though I suppose! Will still be interested to see the results. Are they online or posted to your house?

27th of this month.. You used to get an email with a link to them on ACER's website, this year I've heard they're going to be posted on your CAO page (though that's not to say you won't still get a link to ACER's website as before).

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

not nervous, though it will be a sh*tty summer if i don't at least get the bare minimum
    well, they say you can't prepare for the HPAT, and i didnt try to, so i'll be interested to see the results. also you can't know whether you did badly or not in the HPAT, don't even bother trying to guess :pac:

So are the emails sent on the stroke of midnight or does it take a while?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

So are the emails sent on the stroke of midnight or does it take a while?

Last year, it was early morning, 5ish

All nighter so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MedMan101

All nighter so

we'l be out totally lashed anyways!!

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Last year, it was early morning, 5ish

The year before it wasn't til 11am or so. Better just to sleep in instead of having an agonising wait...thats what results night is for!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

...thats what results night is for!
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 k.stewart

Kinda nervous.. but I will be crapping bricks that morning ..not literally, metaphorically :P
    Obviously there's the fear that I won't have done well enough in it to get Med :/ But I'll do it again next Feb if I have to.. if they're keeping it on of course..

Since this is the last year of the "trial run" does anyone think that they're going to scrap it for next year or keep it a while longer?

k.stewart wrote: »
    Since this is the last year of the "trial run" does anyone think that they're going to scrap it for next year or keep it a while longer?

I think they'll have to give a warning in good time if they're scrapping it, in case anyone plans to take the year out next year to just repeat the hpat. They'd need to announce it before the offers come out this year. I don't think they'll scrap it entirely, they won't go back to the old system based only on points, and I haven't heard of anything else in the pipeline just yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pegmin

Hi,I just have a question for any of the repeats out there.

If I wish to use my HPAT results from last year,do I have to go about some procedure to do that? I already have my 2010 L.C listed in my CAO,but I don't know if that covers the HPAT 2010...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

hey all, gotta say i've been completely sidetracked by the leaving cert up to now and managed to forget about the hpat results! Are you saying there out tomorrow morning? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭conorod

Tomorrow week I think - 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

Pegmin wrote: »
    Hi,I just have a question for any of the repeats out there.

If I wish to use my HPAT results from last year,do I have to go about some procedure to do that? I already have my 2010 L.C listed in my CAO,but I don't know if that covers the HPAT 2010...:confused:
    I'm in the same position but yeah I think they just put up the best one on your account...they will have it from last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Bogger_92

until now I had forgotten about the HPAT results! I have three exams left and now Im thinking oh man the HPAT results are soon! I hope they go well!

on another note how are everyones exams going?

Advertisement