Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

I finished mine last year hahaha...wat av you left?-bogger-92

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bogger_92

joseph- damn! I have Physics, Chemistry and (lol) Religion left.

How did your leaving cert go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 k.stewart

Pegmin wrote: »
    Hi,I just have a question for any of the repeats out there.

If I wish to use my HPAT results from last year,do I have to go about some procedure to do that? I already have my 2010 L.C listed in my CAO,but I don't know if that covers the HPAT 2010...:confused:

Hey, HPAT results are good for two years :)
    They're probably linked alright, is there anything written at the bottom of your "my application" on the cao website?
    I think that's where it would be..but I think you should ring them(cao peoples) and make sure they have your results on file just in case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 k.stewart

I think they'll have to give a warning in good time if they're scrapping it, in case anyone plans to take the year out next year to just repeat the hpat. They'd need to announce it before the offers come out this year. I don't think they'll scrap it entirely, they won't go back to the old system based only on points, and I haven't heard of anything else in the pipeline just yet...

Hmm.. hopefully that's the case!
    I like the way they have the HPAT cause I'd never be able to get the full 600 like students had to achieve a few years ago.. 550 is much more doable.. still hard but it's a lot of pressure off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pegmin

k.stewart wrote: »
    Hey, HPAT results are good for two years :)
    They're probably linked alright, is there anything written at the bottom of your "my application" on the cao website?
    I think that's where it would be..but I think you should ring them(cao peoples) and make sure they have your results on file just in case :)

No sign of old HPAT results,just says I've done the 2010 L.C. I'd say its grand,but Id better call them like you say.Better safe then sorry. Be a shame to actually get the points,only to find I couldn't use them:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

Bogger_92 wrote: »
    joseph- damn! I have Physics, Chemistry and (lol) Religion left.

How did your leaving cert go?

Haha..went quite well.was left feeling terrible after ag science cos the paper was like sum sort of random questionnaire that a few disheveled farmers from connemara(i live on a farm btw) threw together.ended up just answering from my own experience-but turns it went great. you havta think of the bell curve.if youve prepared well and the paper is bad then evry1 else is in the same position.the rest of the exams went as planed.gave myself chances converted a few and the rest as they say is history!as for the hpat....dont ask

Joseph... wrote: »
    Haha..went quite well.was left feeling terrible after ag science cos the paper was like sum sort of random questionnaire that a few disheveled farmers from connemara(i live on a farm btw) threw together.ended up just answering from my own experience-but turns it went great. you havta think of the bell curve.if youve prepared well and the paper is bad then evry1 else is in the same position.the rest of the exams went as planed.gave myself chances converted a few and the rest as they say is history!as for the hpat....dont ask

sounds good! I hope mine goes to plan, it seems to be going well thus far.. but I suppose you cant really tell until august can you :P

as regards HPAT I feel like that went well too! I love that kind of thing, I used to do a lot of IQ tests when I was younger ( 'cause I was so cool :P ) but I found it alright - that said I just hope its not a false sense of security haha :) Ill see soon enough Id say!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

Spacecow wrote: »
    Hey all ,

I have been intending on repeating my leaving cert next june and just sit the easy subjects so i can get into med , i have passed irish, math and french in my first LC.

Im after finding out that you need to have the entry requirments AND the points from ONE sitting. I want to know if that is just for irish universities? Or would i be able to get into english unis? (provided i get the grades)

eg. If i repeat my LC next year and do Geo,Bus,Eng,Phys,Econ,Construction
    -> Will i have the subject requirements to get into med in english universities?
    I spent most last summer ringing uk schools asking what i needed so have some idea, however theres only about 7 schools that will take repeats, dont know it off hand but i could find out for you if you like!:)

As a general you have to have higher level maths or physics or an A at JC science will do for some places. All 6 subjects must be higher level. Most places require both Chem and Biology. Youll be given grade requirments if you get through the interview stage. Unforch Ive only heard of repeats who need 6 As. In most places they dont know the difference between A1s and A2s ect so youd be fine as regards that. Some places also require HL english( according to our guidance councellor, i have yet to find a uni that does.

In other points, if you dont have any work experience in a medical setting try get some! My only WE was first aid but ive been training in first aid for 3 years so they allowed it! :) Volenteer in a charity shop or homework club for the next few weeks! Also Scottish and Welsh schools seem to prefer Irish people over English schools!

Thats all I can think of at the mo! Let me know if you want more info on anything!:)

To all the hopeful medicine students of 2011 how has the leaving cert been for you? Im not finished just yet but so far I think Ive done quite well an improvement on the mocks I hope!

now we just have to wait till monday for the HPAT results! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

To all the hopeful medicine students of 2011 how has the leaving cert been for you? Im not finished just yet but so far I think Ive done quite well an improvement on the mocks I hope!

The leaving cert has been one hell of a draining experience, and with music still left i just can't wait to finish! So far, not the happiest camper! Week one was great, but week two my hopes were destroyed by, my supposedly 'best subject', physics. I really felt i could get an A1 and got it in our 2nd mock 2 months ago, but i'd now be hoping for at most a B1. :mad:
    On the bright side, im confident of As in all my other subjects, and music should be fine too :) The closer i get to 550 the better. Next on my mind - the much anticipated H-pat results. Good luck to all ;)

• Advertisement

The leaving cert has been one hell of a draining experience, and with music still left i just can't wait to finish! So far, not the happiest camper! Week one was great, but week two my hopes were destroyed by, my supposedly 'best subject', physics. I really felt i could get an A1 and got it in our 2nd mock 2 months ago, but i'd now be hoping for at most a B1. :mad:
    On the bright side, im confident of As in all my other subjects, and music should be fine too :) The closer i get to 550 the better. Next on my mind - the much anticipated H-pat results. Good luck to all ;)

really doesnt sound like too bad, Im sure you did better than you thought, I did the physics paper too, and like you I think Im heading for a B1 in it, or I hope so anyway! ;) chemistry today was a beautiful paper XD and with week one Im delighted with english and irish! they went fantastically! so hopefully Im on the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

i think it went well, definitely in the running for results in the area of 550, but a good (200+) score in the hpat would really put my mind at rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    i think it went well, definitely in the running for results in the area of 550, but a good (200+) score in the hpat would really put my mind at rest

Thats more than a good score :pac: Seriously though, very few people actually hit 200, only the top 2-3% of scores. 180 is a very, very good score.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

Thats more than a good score :pac: Seriously though, very few people actually hit 200, only the top 2-3% of scores. 180 is a very, very good score.

it's good compared to everyone who sits the hpat, but compared to those who actually get offered a place, i imagine it's not spectacular (180 i mean)

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    it's good compared to everyone who sits the hpat, but compared to those who actually get offered a place, i imagine it's not spectacular (180 i mean)

180 + 550 is 730, which would have got you in anywhere last year (I think, or was Trinity 731?). I know a lot of people who are in on less, 180 would still be seen as really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

180 + 550 is 730, which would have got you in anywhere last year (I think, or was Trinity 731?).
    Last year - Round 1.

Trinity, 731*

UCD, 725*

UCC, 725

RCSI, 723

NUIG, 720*

I saved them the night of CAO offers ... didn't think to save the later rounds though.

Last year - Round 1.

Trinity, 731*

UCD, 725*

UCC, 725

RCSI, 723

NUIG, 720*

I saved them the night of CAO offers ... didn't think to save the later rounds though.

Trinity didn't offer a second round. RCSI fell to 721, and NUIG fell to 718 in later rounds, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Laika_

I got 718 last year and didn't get a place in NUIG, so points must have been 719 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Laika_ wrote: »
    I got 718 last year and didn't get a place in NUIG, so points must have been 719 there.

Looks like you missed out on a place by random selection then :\

Are you sure? I rang the college at the time and they said there was no hope of it dropping to 718, that too many people had got in on 719 with rechecks and were waiting to take their places this september coming.

Wow, if I did miss out on it by random selection I have been so much better off not to know all year as I repeated! That would have been hard to stomach last October...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I hope points do drop a bit this year as hpat applicants were down 5% so ya never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I'd say if it does drop it will only be by the smallest amounts. 1-3 points maybe. Although I know two girls in my school who applied for Medicine and they've already changed their CAO's to something else. Now if another 80% of Med pplicants do the same I'm in! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I'll take every point I can get to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Jaafa wrote: »
    I hope points do drop a bit this year as hpat applicants were down 5% so ya never know.

Maybe the points will drop by 5% too!! Down to 684!! WOO!! :D

I shouldn't even joke about such things :o I hope they do drop though. Even if they came down by about 3 points it would be nice. Like, that can be the difference between an A1 and a B1.

Laika_ wrote: »
    Are you sure? I rang the college at the time and they said there was no hope of it dropping to 718, that too many people had got in on 719 with rechecks and were waiting to take their places this september coming.

Wow, if I did miss out on it by random selection I have been so much better off not to know all year as I repeated! That would have been hard to stomach last October...

Oh, sorry to worry you! I had thought that that was the figure but it wasn't for definite, so if it says 719* it was just random selection on that! Sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HOPEd

A year of biomedical, health and life sciene to medicine

Is it really true that I can change to medicine from biomedical science after a year... cause my careers teacher said so... I dont think I got my point for medicne :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

HOPEd wrote: »

Is it really true that I can change to medicine from biomedical science after a year... cause my careers teacher said so... I dont think I got my point for medicne :(
    Fairly sure you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

HOPEd wrote: »

Well I asked UCC if they'd accept transfers from First Med in Galway to UCC, and they said no, and that's from a med course! They said they don't accept any transfer students, as far as I remember :

But my Leaving Cert has shown my capacity to remember is greatly below what I thought it to be, so I wouldn't take my word as gospel :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HOPEd

Well I asked UCC if they'd accept transfers from First Med in Galway to UCC, and they said no, and that's from a med course! They said they don't accept any transfer students, as far as I remember :

But my Leaving Cert has shown my capacity to remember is greatly below what I thought it to be, so I wouldn't take my word as gospel :P

Nah ure right :) ...called UCD this morning and they told me that its not possible... but I really dont wanna repeat this year... urgh I really dont know what to do :(

Advertisement