Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

ozzz wrote: »
    Does anyone one know if applicants for medicine have increased, decreased or remain around the same this year
    Decreased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 leeconneely

165 is med still possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

Does anyone one know if applicants for medicine have increased, decreased or remain around the same this year

omg i got an overall 229 and last year trinity was 231! ****! does anyone know are the points going up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Blerh

http://www2.cao.ie/dir_report/pdf/AppStats01Feb2011.pdf

The figures are on that (:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

Decreased.

Could you provide me with a link?

How did you get on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

ddeclan wrote: »
    ohh god, 158! oh well.......

this system is really messed up, i havnt gotten into any irish uni's for medicine with this result yet i managed to get into edinburgh?? just hoping i get those 6 a's cus otherwise it looks like a bleak year of repeating :(
    Got the same. :'(
    I thought I did better. I'm devastated! I am defo repeating, have to convince my dad. :(
    This is terrible. :( fml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

this is so hard to handle:(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 footie10

johndoe91 wrote: »
    omg i got an overall 229 and last year trinity was 231! ****! does anyone know are the points going up?

You got 229 in HPAT or is that meant to read 729 and 731??

Blerh wrote: »

thanks

does that mean points could possibly be lower than last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

165 is med still possible?

Listen, no one knows how the points will be. They might go up, they might go down, you won't know until the offers day. leeconneely...with a 600 LC you'll have 725. Again, no guarantee what that will get you. johndoe91, you may want to think about putting other unis down on your CAO form, but again, who knows what the points will be. The HPAT hasn't been out long enough to provide any form of a pattern.

• Advertisement

footie10 wrote: »
    You got 229 in HPAT or is that meant to read 729 and 731??

yeah ahhhh! sorry stress! yeah i got 209! and 729 overall! wanted trinity cos im already in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Blerh

thanks

does that mean points could possibly be lower than last year?

Hopefully yeah!
    Exams didn't go that well for me so I'm hoping the points either stay the same or drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 footie10

yeah ahhhh! sorry stress! yeah i got 209! and 729 overall! wanted trinity cos im already in it!

No worries, understandable!

apologies being a bit arrogant with the whole not getting trinity thing. for those who didnt get the score they expected in the hpat and really want to do medicine. If you do well in the leaving I would say go to college and just re-sit the hpat next year. that way your not wasting a year and you can just spend a month studying for the hpat! I remember the feeling of not getting in last year and feeling like ther was no hope but i went on to tcd and did law and I just got a few books and got the ******** online course and went up 30 points to get 209! all i'd say is dont lose hope, you can definately bump up your hpat score by just abit of studying! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Taking an average entry points requirement of 719, how many points will you all need to have gotten in the LC? Personally, i'd need around 565-575 points to be in and around that requirement.

apologies being a bit arrogant with the whole not getting trinity thing. for those who didnt get the score they expected in the hpat and really want to do medicine. If you do well in the leaving I would say go to college and just re-sit the hpat next year. that way your not wasting a year and you can just spend a month studying for the hpat! I remember the feeling of not getting in last year and feeling like ther was no hope but i went on to tcd and did law and I just got a few books and got the ******** online course and went up 30 points to get 209! all i'd say is dont lose hope, you can definately bump up your hpat score by just abit of studying! :)

If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in the LC last year.

Do you know what the star beside points for college mean

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

Taking an average entry points requirement of 719, how many points will you all need to have gotten in the LC? Personally, i'd need around 565-575 points to be in and around that requirement.

550. possible, but really that's what i feel i could get MAX in my leaving. this sucks

Random selection. Some people on that score got in on a random choice, but not all.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in the LC last year.

only got 520 and 183 in hpat!

Random selection. Some people on that score got in on a random choice, but not all.

For example, last year medicine in Galway was 719*. Does that mean anyone with 720 definitely got in and some with 719* got in depending on luck?

• Advertisement

For example, last year medicine in Galway was 719*. Does that mean anyone with 720 definitely got in and some with 719* got in depending on luck?

thats what its supposed to mean but I a guy who got 726 and didnt get UCD which was 725* but got into RCSI so its hard to tell!

Yup. When the points come out, anyone with those points or higher have definitely got in. If there is a star, anyone ABOVE that score has a place, but ON that score are just a few. Sometimes in the 2nd round offers the random selection is cleared or it may go down to random selection in the score below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TurkeyBob

What a stupid system. I applied as a mature student to TCD and my application was turned down. Got 184 with very little prep, literally just ran through a few questions for the week before the exams. Oh well...back to the gamsat study (I'm 27).

Why is it so hard to get into med when all you want to do is help other people?

*back to the bottle of wine*

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

ahhhhhhhh 179 dont know whether to get excited or not??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

thats what its supposed to mean but I a guy who got 726 and didnt get UCD which was 725* but got into RCSI so its hard to tell!
    Presumably he had RCSI before UCD on his CAO?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

good luck to everyone, even if you don't get what you want it's not the end of the road if medicine is really what you want.. I've been to college, studied engineering, worked for 3 years as a structural engineer, and now find myself back here with you lot! :o

I got 174, with a L.C score of 520 my feint and fairytale hopes of getting in as an undergraduate ends here!

I've been through the interview process as a mature student though and am confident of getting a place is R.C.S.I this way. They interview approx 31 people with 15 places, so fingers crossed...

Did anyone else notice that the section scores don't add up to the overall score, they must be rounded up!

Overall Score: 174 Overall Percentile: 73
    Section Scores: 1 53 2 58 3 64

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

You are all going to laugh when I tell you what I got.

My fault for only looking at the practice book the morning of the test.. I got 153! :rolleyes: Section Scores: 1: 47 2: 54 3: 52 Man that's baaad..

That's medicine off the CAO then.. I'm such an idiot for not preaparing for the time constraints! Oh well :(

ahhhhhhhh 179 dont know whether to get excited or not??!!

If the points decrease or even remain the same as last year, a LC of 545+ should get you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

TurkeyBob wrote: »
    What a stupid system. I applied as a mature student to TCD and my application was turned down. Got 184 with very little prep, literally just ran through a few questions for the week before the exams. Oh well...back to the gamsat study (I'm 27).

Why is it so hard to get into med when all you want to do is help other people?

*back to the bottle of wine*

its not just about hpat score.... the L.C score is important as well as your background, life experience, and work experience in the medical field.

I also applied as a mature student but could only apply to rcsi and ucd due to my leaving cert subjects. ucd said no but rcsi called me for interview ehich i hear back about in a week or so.. thats my last hope for now!

• Advertisement

hollingr wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that the section scores don't add up to the overall score, they must be rounded up!

Overall Score: 174 Overall Percentile: 73
    Section Scores: 1 53 2 58 3 64

Yes, I was wondering if I should point that out or not :P This is the reason they eventually removed the results from the CAO form the year I did it. The 3 individual scores are a rounded version of what you had, so for example, individual scores of 60+60+60 may only give you 179, not 180, if the scores were actually 59.8 for each one.

Advertisement