Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

emma123abc wrote: »
    Ok, totally confused now! Can anyone clear this up?...
    I know by now you MUST have the restricted course on your CAO, that they can't be added in now, but if I have medicine in TCD and UCD on my CAO, can I add RCSI in?

Email the CAO and see if they'll give you a reply, best option really.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Maestoso wrote: »
    Aren't there less applicants this year, though? I know that there are 3,010 this year. How much were there in 2010 and 2009?

Yeah. There could just be more people close together at the top of the results. It doesn't mean that results have gotten higher, just that more people got similarly high results. I have a feeling the points wont rise but then again, thats all just complete speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emma123abc

Think I'll head to sleep now and sort this all out in the morning because it's wrecking my head altogether! ... Not that I'll be getting much sleep after this

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Email the CAO and see if they'll give you a reply, best option really.

Nah.. emma123abc why don't you just go and try and add it now & see if it works?!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 footie10

jumpguy wrote: »
    Anyone know where the bull curve for this year can be found?

http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=13

shows 2010 and 2009...nothing up on 2011 yet so no ideas where else it would be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fk44

Maestoso wrote: »
    Aren't there less applicants this year, though? I know that there are 3,010 this year. How much were there in 2010 and 2009?
    only 5% Less than last year

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Yeah. There could just be more people close together at the top of the results. It doesn't mean that results have gotten higher, just that more people got similarly high results. I have a feeling the points wont rise but then again, thats all just complete speculation.

yes but that means if theres more people at the top that will increase the points does it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I may be wrong, but once you have 1 restricted course down already can you add more colleges?
    theowen wrote: »
    Ye can't put down restricted courses after the 31st of Feb or so. Ye can change your restricted courses until the 1st, but they have to have been down by the 31st or whatever.
    I *think* QOL is right, Owen.

Certainly you can change your preference among those already down ... but I think once you have a Med course down, you can add additional colleges.

The main reason for the restriction is that those applying to do Med have to do HPAT ... she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Maestoso

fk44 wrote: »
    only 5% Less than last year
    Apparently, even less than there were in 2009. Only a fraction, though. 3,120 in 2009.

yes but that means if theres more people at the top that will increase the points does it not?

I have no idea. Maths is most definitely not my strong point :o. It made sense in my head at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Baaaad idea to look at bell curves...if I got 172 last year, I'd be in the 80somethingth percentile. Unless I'm reading this percentage curve wrong.

Which means HPAT scores probably rose this year (again).

Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

So does it seem that points will rise again this year?

Even though the number of med applicants have decreased this year?

jumpguy wrote: »
    Baaaad idea to look at bell curves...if I got 172 last year, I'd be in the 80somethingth percentile. Unless I'm reading this percentage curve wrong.

Which means HPAT scores probably rose this year (again).

Or am I wrong?
    Your spot on and considering we don't get any offical stats on combined LC and hpat results we have to assume points will rocket with increase in hpat results my third year with nail biting summer:(

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    I have no idea. Maths is most definitely not my strong point :o. It made sense in my head at the time!
    It's so frustrating not knowing exactly where we stand so I understand perfectly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

ozzz wrote: »
    So does it seem that points will rise again this year?

Even though the number of med applicants have decreased this year?

easy to speculate on a rise in points from comparing last years percentiles and scores to this years (even the few posted in this thread is enough to see this), yeah.

its a newish test with people repeating 2-3 years in a row all with very high points.. grinds courses are on the up, more and more people are studying for the test with successful results which is brining up the scores too.

just like the property bubble there is only one direction to go... upwards! :p

you can sit there speculating for the next month or you can enjoy whats left of the summer and wait and see what happens. if you do get in you'll be happy to have chosen the latter

Your spot on and considering we don't get any offical stats on combined LC and hpat results we have to assume points will rocket with increase in hpat results my third year with nail biting summer:(
    Woop, I'm relegated to the "praying-for-a-miracle-in-August" category then. Hmmmmm...

Ah well, only time will tell. Better not throw out my books just yet though. :P

We've just got to wait until mid-August now I suppose. Even with the Leaving Cert results most of us wont be sure until the 22nd when the CAO offers come out. Kind of hoped these results would let me know either way. I'd either get a ridiculously high result or fail miserably. However now begins an even longer period of waiting. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Assuming there's 800 available spaces in Medicine around the country and assuming the minimum points will be approx 721... I'd say anyone who got 74th Percentile or above is very likely to get an offer providing they score at least 545 in their LC.

Those with a percentile between 70-74 will need to score at least 550 in their LC to be in with a chance. Those with a percentile between 60-69 will need to score above 550 in their LC to be in with a chance. Those between 57-59 will need nearly 600 points with those at 161 points (57th Percentile?) needing the full 600 points.

All of this is based on last year's points and the amount of people doing the HPAT this year so take it with a pinch of salt.

All of this is based on last year's points and the amount of people doing the HPAT this year so take it with a pinch of salt.
    If you look at last year's percentage curve though, it seems to be out of kilter with what people were scoring this year. Unless my graph-reading skills have deteriorated in the 6 days since I've finished the LC. :P

Okie dokie.. so with my crap 153 I should take med off then? :) Oh well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 verbatim92

am absolutely delighted myself!
    205 and 98%ile!
    is the bell-curve available yet and does anyone know the highest mark this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Okie dokie.. so with my crap 153 I should take med off then? :) Oh well..

Your scores not crap. This is the worst part of it. I know how you feel. I'm a repeat who got 143 last year. I was gutted. But this year I worked my backside off and went up to 170. I was hoping for more but hey, that's life. We're all still uncertain.

Say you got 560 (600). You have 713 total. It would get you a place in 2009, but not last year. Who knows whats going to happen this year? There might be more people at the top end of the HPAT scores, but they mightn't have enough LC points. I would say don't make any rash decisions. Sit down, think about everything. Have a chat with your parents, your friends. You still have until July 1st.

Even if you don't get in, there's a myriad of options. I repeated. I was dreading it and I thought I'd hate every moment but it was grand. I made new friends, had an extra year to contemplate everything and went up 30 points in my HPAT. They say you can't prepare for it, but that's proven to be rubbish by now. In fact, there's a glaring hole with the HPAT in the fact that people's scores are shooting up upon repeating. It's basically pushing more people into doing it twice. The problems that they were trying to fix with the points by introducing it are still the same. People who repeat are going to gobble up the places and first timers are being pushed out.

Anyway, chin up. Go to bed for now and take stock tomorrow. Things are never as bad as they seem.

verbatim92 wrote: »
    205 and 98%ile!
    is the bell-curve available yet and does anyone know the highest mark this year?

Wow, congrats, that's amazing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 verbatim92

Wow, congrats, that's amazing. :)

thanks alot! soo happy! was hoping for a pretty good score off practice tests id done but rea;;y happt it actually worked out! all 3 sections were near enough the same too!! hope you did well yourself!!

Congrats mate! Thats an amazing score! My first two section were in the mid 60's but my third section let me down. Got 54. So much for section 3 being geared towards males :rolleyes:

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Your scores not crap. This is the worst part of it. I know how you feel. I'm a repeat who got 143 last year. I was gutted. But this year I worked my backside off and went up to 170. I was hoping for more but hey, that's life. We're all still uncertain.

Say you got 560 (600). You have 713 total. It would get you a place in 2009, but not last year. Who knows whats going to happen this year? There might be more people at the top end of the HPAT scores, but they mightn't have enough LC points. I would say don't make any rash decisions. Sit down, think about everything. Have a chat with your parents, your friends. You still have until July 1st.

Even if you don't get in, there's a myriad of options. I repeated. I was dreading it and I thought I'd hate every moment but it was grand. I made new friends, had an extra year to contemplate everything and went up 30 points in my HPAT. They say you can't prepare for it, but that's proven to be rubbish by now. In fact, there's a glaring hole with the HPAT in the fact that people's scores are shooting up upon repeating. It's basically pushing more people into doing it twice. The problems that they were trying to fix with the points by introducing it are still the same. People who repeat are going to gobble up the places and first timers are being pushed out.

Anyway, chin up. Go to bed for now and take stock tomorrow. Things are never as bad as they seem.

Thank you so much for your kind reply.

It was my own fault really, I didn't practice the test or the timing for it so I should have expected it.

I didn't tell either of my parents I did the HPAT, (they would laugh if I told them I was thinking of med) so I'm wallowing in my own sorrows here :P (joke)

I'm going to take your advice and go to bed and think about it tomorrow. I might just leave NUI Galway at number one and see what other offers I get then consider repeating once the offers come out.

Thank you again for taking time to reply, it made me feel a lot better! And best of luck with Medicine! I'm sure you'll get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

verbatim92 wrote: »
    205 and 98%ile!
    Wow...200 would have gotten ye in the 100th percentile last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I *think* QOL is right, Owen.

Certainly you can change your preference among those already down ... but I think once you have a Med course down, you can add additional colleges.

The main reason for the restriction is that those applying to do Med have to do HPAT ... she has.
    Interesting. More flexible of the CAO than I thought possible of them :P Cheers for the correction!:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HOPEd

this is like the most stupid question..but imma ask anyways... :p
    Can u repeat like ure HPAT and leaving cert while ure at college? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

theowen wrote: »
    Wow...200 would have gotten ye in the 100th percentile last year.
    Yup, looks like comparing the percentages you got this year with the percentile curve of last year means that a HPAT score this year =/= equivalent HPAT score last year.

I'm allowed be the bearer of bad news since my chances are probably gonna be scuppered by this fact as well. :o

I wonder is this unwanted rise in HPAT points the reason they did not release a curve with our results at the same time as our results this year...

Advertisement